.327 Federal Club thread

In any case, I sent Ruger an e-mail myself. They've got a fantastic reputation for candid and quick answers to questions submitted via the website. I'll report back.
Okay, maybe I don't need to fully rescind that, but my experience was not supportive of it, anyway. :(

On 23/Dec/12, I sent this:
Long time Ruger owner/lover, and currently own seven Ruger handguns.
My concern is with the future of Ruger's production and backing of the .327 Federal Magnum cartridge.
According to the website, the Ruger GP-100 is -STILL- available in .327 Federal while the SP-101 and the stainless Blackhawk are no longer offered.
Is this a temporary unavailability, or have these models been scrapped in .327 Federal?
Concerned! Please don't give up on this cartridge.

Much thanks.

The reply was dated today, 31/Dec/12:
This caliber has been discontinued for the time being only.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

I suspect they're doing everything they can to turn out their high-volume sellers to meet the overwhelming demand. I think that when things calm down, they'll get back to making the slower sellers again.

That's sounds entirely rational and makes good sense. Seems like it'd be easy for THEM to simply say that.

I think it sucked out loud when Ruger gave up (easily!) on the .480 Ruger. From a business standpoint, it was a monetary decision I suppose. But for their customers who bought them when they DID make & advertise them, it hurt badly. They ceased production on their own gun chambering their round, and it let the round flounder and die.

It's a kick in the yamsack to the people who jumped on the round -- that THEY marketed in the first place.

Now I don't run any business, let alone a gargantuan and legendary gun maker, and I admit up-front that I don't know the minute details involved...but c'mon. They already make Redhawk revolvers. They obviously have the tooling to drill .475" holes in them and the stamps to scratch ".480 Ruger" on the side. Why kill off production? Even if folks aren't stepping on each other to order them, can't they simply offer them if/when people want them?

I'm drifting in to another topic, but the idea is the same. I'm going to be angry/annoyed if they kill off the .327 entirely. It won't affect me immediately, as I roll all my own, but it isn't going to help anyone who likes the round and has purchased a .327 chambered gun. Specifically, those who have bought Ruger guns in .327.

Well, I took my SS 632 comped gun to the LGS today. I'm having a fiber optic front and a white U set of sights put on it. Old eyes.

The guys checking it in and the smith all thought it was a beautiful neat gun.

The standard sights - don't work for me. Sigh.

They had a blued or black one for sale at 839 bucks. I think they've been on sale cheaper.

I got a 432 for $330 when they were discontinued. I like those 32s. Great J frames.

Glenn E. Meyer said
"I got a 432 for $330 when they were discontinued. I like those 32s. Great J frames."

Glenn you have good taste! Love my 431 (hammer'd version of your 432). A lil' bit if scandium heaven.

Sevens, +1 to all you said. The .327 "situation" has been inexplicably mismanaged and mis-or-undermarketed from the start, to no fault of the cartridge itself. If I were Ruger's CEO, I'd been on the horn weekly with "partners" Federal, Starline, etc, saying "Gentlemen/ladies - get your act together - NOW!" Collectively I would have introduced the ..327 ammo UNDER normal market rates, say, for "regular" .357--or inbeteeen .38 and .357--to get it started...then maybe inch it up over time if/as necessary to profitability but only once the cartridge and guns so-chambered had been solidly established. . Additionally I would have insured, to the extent remotely feasible, that all components would be open-market asap with little restriction. It confounds me how the round has been handled. Then again, I'm still miffed about mismanagement, mis/undermarketing and how little support the wonderful .32 H&R got over the past thirty years!

Last edited:
I have always been a big fan of the 32H&R in the SSM and had one in SP101 untill wonderlust got the best of me and I traded it! When the 327 Fed. came out I was all over it! I love the round and have done my part to support it. Have all three of the Rugers, S&W 632 bright stainless, and a little Taurus two tone. I cary the GP100 the most as a CCW and have shot IDPA with it. Even with 100gr lead reloads it will put down the steel targets every bit as good as any 9mm. This round realy shines in the J frame size gun for CCW. The only draw back is that the noise level makes it seem like it has more kick than it realy does.

I would LOVE to see S&W chamber it in the K frame with 7 rounds, or Ruger make it in the same 4 inch SP101 like the 357 or 22lr 4 inch. I would also buy a light, short bolt action in the 327 as well.

A 7 or 8 round revolver 4" would be a great weapon to have if this semi auto ban and mag restritions get passed. A nice size double action 327 mag 8 shot sounds good to me . If S& W has a 8 shot 357 could you put 9, 327's in the same model ? High capacity revolvers may be the future.

Kinda bummed, now I know why I havent been able to find a SP101 in 327 lately. The SP101 fits my hand perfectly and I've been wanting to add the 327 to the stable for a little while. I reload also so I'm not too worried about that. I did find some 32H&R SP101, are those 6 shots?

Some of the newer stuff just doesn't get the interest that other stuff does. I would like to have a 3" single six in 327 with a birds head handle on it. I'd even take a 32 mag. Ruger didn't offer either one. Mfgs. only stick with stuff that sells well so I don't look for anything to come of the 327 Mag even tho it's a good idea and something new to play with.

I was in Cabela's yesterday for a conference and before it started I looked at the ammo shelves. There was one box of 20 Federal 327 and two boxes of 50
of American Eagle soft point. When I was ready to leave - they were gone.

Since the round was developed for a 3" Ruger "snubby" they might have been better off calling it something like the .32 Defensive Magnum, or .32 Magnum Defense cartridge.

When I hear "Super Magnum" I think of rifle cartridges.
Which reminds me, Winchester has announced a new rimfire cartridge.
It's the .17 Super Magnum Rimfire. They're using the .27 caliber industrial ramset cartridges, necked down to .17 caliber to get 3000 fps from a 20gr bullet. (400 ft-lbs!)

I hope to find or get a gp 100 in 327 before they are all gone , just don't have the funds right now.

Ruger isn't going to cataolg the SP101 or Blackhawk in 327 for 2013, so that's porbably why the prices on Gunbroker. There is a Blackhawk on there that is up over $650 already. I have both and enjoy shooting them, especially the blackhawk. Thos Gunbroker prices have me tempted to part with the Sp101 though!

Last edited:
I just noticed that Ruger doesn't have the 327's on their website as well. I've been eyeing the 327s for a long time but just haven't jumped in yet. I might just have to do it. The LGS has a new SP101, I may have to go get it. But I really love the looks of the Blackhawk as well, so I'm torn. I also know a guy who was looking to sell his SP101. I think he was asking $400. So maybe I'll have to give him a call. Looks like it would be a fun reloading cartridge.

Back