.327 Federal Club thread

Just a friendly reminder:

Spread the word about how much you like the .327 Federal.

I haven't seen much lately, and still want the .327 to take over the world. ;)

All right! This thread is back from the dead again. I still want one. The local gun store has a blackhawk that keeps calling me everytime I walk in. And I'm still waiting to see if Ruger is going to chamber that new SP101 in 327. If they do, I may have to make the plunge.

I would have liked a Single Six w/ birdshead grip and 3" bbl. They never made it. I'd take it in 32 H&R or 327 mag.

FrankenMauser posted about the Starline .327 Federal brass in our .327 handloading thread in the H&R area.

I have a theory -- it was driven entirely by Buffalo Bore, who debuted .327 Federal earlier this year. I'm betting that Buffalo Bore went to Starline and asked them to produce it, and the order was big enough to finally push those guys to make the brass.

Buffalo Bore has used Starline brass in the past...though the tiny picture on the Buffalo Bore site shows a Federal case.

Just ordered 500 pieces from Starline. They are back ordered until 9-14-12. Glad we have a second source to help fill the gap!

Last edited:
Maybe I'm a hopeless romantic or stupidly optimistic...

But Starline won't make a damn thing UNLESS they elect to make the stuff -- and I'll have to assume that they go GIGUNDO BIG when they make that decision. Seems like anyone producing such a product that would put the tooling and time in to making it...would run off a bleepload of it. Otherwise, what's the point?

For them to debut the stuff... and already be defaulting to a back order, well, here's the optimist part-- maybe someone out there will get the damn message that somebody wants .327 Federal Magnum.

Maybe the ammo makers, maybe the component bullet makers, maybe the gun manufacturers will get wind of it.

Pete2 said:
" I would have liked a Single Six w/ birdshead grip and 3" bbl. They never made it. I'd take it in 32 H&R or 327 mag."

Yes they did--in .32 H&R quite recently with a Talo (?) special (limited) John Wayne edition. I believe birdshead 3.75". Close enough?
...Or, failing that, cut down one of the relatively common 4.62" birdshead .32s.
Glad to see the ol' megathread alive again!

"The great Obama-induced ammo shortage of 2008-2009 sure didn't help either" - Falcon62

Obama didn't cause the ammo shortage of 08-09. Paranoid gun owners did and their going to do it again if he gets re-elected.

"Obama didn't cause the ammo shortage of 08-09. Paranoid gun owners did and their going to do it again if he gets re-elected. "

I agree! But where is all the excess ammo and components going? I would think the hoarding would slow eventually...

Last edited:
I will not let this thread die like some in the industry wish the .327 Federal Magnum would do!:mad::cool:

It's been mentioned here & there that Ruger has ceased production of the .327 Federal chambering of the SP-101 revolver. Was first mentioned in a thread, then a link to another discussion forum showed copied txt from an e-mail from Ruger

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:05 PM
Subject: Ruger Online Customer Support Response

> Dear xxx xxxx,
> Thank you for using the Ruger On-Line Customer Support Request Form.
> This e-mail is in response to your question or comment of 10/24/2012

> Comment / question:
> Is Ruger discontinuing the SP101 in the 327 Fed Mag?
> Sincerely,
> xxxxx xxxx
>
> Response:
> That model has been discontinued for the time being.
>
> If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:
> Sincerely,
> Ruger Firearms
Link for that original post, if you so desire:
http://rugerforum.net/ammo-dump/63239-327-federal-magnum-any-regrets.html

With that said, I visited the Ruger website a moment ago and it shows all three of the 327 Federal revolvers on the site. However, it does NOT have a clickable "ORDER NOW" link for either the SP-101 or the Stainless Blackhawk...but it does still show a clickable link for ordering a GP-100 chambered in .327 Federal.

Back when I bought my .30 Carbine Blackhawk, IIRC, Ruger wasn't making THOSE either and depending on who you ask, Ruger has suspended the production of the .30 Carbine Blackhawk a number of times since first cataloging it. Can't argue...how many .30 Carbine Blackhawk revolvers do we think Ruger is actually selling?! (only to goofballs like me...and you goofs, too)

So I wonder if Ruger is merely "suspending" the .327 Federal revolvers simply because the demand is not there. Not necessarily CEASING production of them for the rest of time.

I suppose we could argue that they are one in the same. Seems odd that Ruger has the GP-100 still in production (at least according to the website) while the others are shelved.

In any case, I sent Ruger an e-mail myself. They've got a fantastic reputation for candid and quick answers to questions submitted via the website. I'll report back.

In the mean time, I'm soon to be range testing some new handloads with the "even Alliant has no clue how to use the stuff" Power Pro MP-300 powder. Sorry, no chrono numbers until spring.

After running into the discontinuation rumors, myself, I found the same thing you did:
SP-101 and Blackhawk showing up on the website, but not looking like an active product.

I didn't contact Ruger, though. I contacted Davidson's (Gallery of Guns). As a premier (the primary?) Ruger distributor, I figured they'd have the best answer I could get. Their response, in my words:
The .327 Blackhawk and .327 SP-101 are no longer orderable or in active production, and any that may be received in the following months (from backorders) have already been spoken for by dealers.
The GP-100 is still available, but may only be due to an over-supply on Ruger's end.
(Yea... it wasn't the most popular option - even if it is the best of the bunch.)

Just a side not:
The more I shoot the GP-100, my Super Blackhawk, and Cornbush's .45 Colt Blackhawk... the more the .327 Blackhawk feels like a boat anchor.
It's a blast to shoot; but a heavy beast.

Haha...Imagine your Blackhawk had a LONGER barrel.
Now, take two shots away and add meat to the cylinder. Meat -- and weight.

Now you've got a .30 Carbine Blackhawk.

If yours is an anchor, it won't hold back the same size barge as my .30 Carb B'Hawk will! :D

Been down the .327 road for a while now, both shooting and reloading. It just wasn't all I had hoped it would be. Sold my SP-101 and went back to .357 instead. At this point only a Single Six would interest me in picking up the caliber again. Just seems to me that this is what Ruger should have done four years ago and the fact they haven't yet either means there's no market interest other than a few here on the forums or Ruger is just tired of backing the caliber. I'd love a .327 Single Six more than just about anything, but not enough to pay for a Bowen conversion.

I own a Ruger sp101 and a blackhawk in .327 federal magnum and just love them both. I have thought about selling the blackhawk just to make room for something concealable but the gun is so well made and shoots just great that I quickly change my mind. My opinion is that this round really shines in the blackhawk for hunting coyotes, which are a pest by me.

The sp101 coupled with the 6 rounds of .327 really make a great, balanced revolver. I love it and often carry it concealed. Great gun.

I love shooting .32 s&w long wadcutters out of the sp101 too. It makes a great day at the range.

Back