.327 Federal Club thread

327 Mag.

I just picked up a Taurus M327 2" yesterday and took it to the range for trial. First 18 rounds in a 4" card at 30 ft., double action. I like it already.

Sounds like a keeper.

I'm still debating on the Taurus M327, as well (the standard blued model, not the bobbed-hammer version). After selling off some camping gear, and getting paid for a roofing job.... I have plenty of cash sitting here.

I just can't decide if I want the Taurus more than some bullet swaging gear. I think the swaging gear may win the debate, but knowing the M327 has been discontinued adds a little more "risk" to passing it up.

The only reason I mention the internal debate here, is because the swaging equipment I want to pick up is for .312" bullets. It would allow me to feed cheaper RN bullets to my family's .32 caliber rifles, as well as hand-tailored RN-SP, RN-FP, or RN-HP bullets for .327 applications (I can adjust the materials and process to vary "toughness", fragility, core bonding, length, nose type {HP, SP, FP}, and several other factors; but the basic Round Nose shape is a constant).

The basic equipment is paid for. It's the .312" equipment that I can't decide on, since it commands another $600-800 investment.

Buy myself a Taurus, and I have to feed it forever...
Build a better bullet, and feed the other .327s forever...

It's so tough. The 2" barrel sucks, and it's a Taurus... but I still want one.
Decisions. Decisions.... :confused:

America is the land of the big-bore. Ever since the wild west and the Colt .45 SAA. Reinforced in 2 world wars by the .45 ACP 1911 and 1917 revolvers.

At one time , the .32 S&W was the most popular pocket revolver and the .32 Long was the most popular target round in America.

Then came the .38 Special and .357 magnum.

Now , .32 S&W short or long is expensive and hard to find.

When the .32 H&R came out , there was a brief resurgance , and the new 'magnum' ammo was on shelves. Now , it's scarce as hens teeth and very expensive.
No police departments large or small issue it so it's doubtful any useful data on effectiveness against bad guys will be compiled.

I do believe the .327 Federal will be in the same boat in another 3-5 years.

And has become Big Bore!

Anyway, I love my SW comp'ed 632. So that's that. I also love my 432 as a light pocket gun.

Yeah, I usually carry a Big Bore. But still like those guys.

Yes we are the land of the big bore. Back in the day it was due to nessesity. If your gonna have a slow and solid lead projectile than it had better be a big one. Modern powder and bullets have made size much less of an issue today but still, we here like are big powerful toys. Not an issue, if you want bigger buy bigger. But oh the fun you'll be missin!

LK

update on the home front

for the few who might remember, I have just bought all the reloading equipment so I can shoot my .327 to my hearts content.

2 years ago, I lost my only outdoor place to shoot. I have been looking for clubs or places since. This $@#$% pistol I so dearly love to shoot reminded me of my delimma. I can't test my loads. Indoor range does not allow bench rests or any testing.

After months of waiting, I got an email last Thursday. I got an invitation to join a gun club. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

85 acres. 5 trap machines, 3 sheet stations, 3 or 4 pistol pits and a 200 yard rifle range.

The last piece of the puzzle is solved. I gladly paid the dues and fees and waiting for the paperwork to clear.

So I have everything to proceed this winter to reload some 327s and hopefully find a couple of good recipes for target practicing and hunting.

I only need a chrony now so I will be looking for a good used one. Anyone want to offer advice on brand or model would be great. thanks.

Saw some Ruger SP101 in 327 at Cabela's yesterday.

BTW, Cabela's can't figure out SW gun numbers. They had a J frame 22 marked as a 632 (the 327 gun). The 22 is a 63-2. Haha. I told the old gun guy that I was being a picky gun nut. He sighed and says corporate prints them.

Hey! Don't know how I missed it... but there is a new *factory* ammo player on the market in .327 Federal Magnum!

For your viewing pleasure...

Reed's Ammunition out of OKC, Oklahoma.
.327 Federal Magnum 100g Hornady XTP
20 round boxes of .327 Federal ammunition loaded with the Hornady 100g XTP Hollow Point at 1435FPS from a 3" barrel and 1575FPS from a 5" barrel. The .327 Fed Mag is a near terminal ballistic match for the .357 Magnum with the same bullet weights, yet produces less felt recoil and less muzzle blast. A new introduction for us, the Hornady XTP (Extreme Terminal Performance) bullet was a natural match to the .327. The XTP bullet shows excellent performance over a wider array of velocities than more conventional bullets and is right at home in the .327 for both self defense applications as well as small game hunting.
$18.25 per 20 round box.

.327 Federal Magnum 115g Gold Dot
20 round boxes of .327 Federal ammunition loaded with the Speer Gold-Dot Hollow Point at 1380FPS from a 3" barrel and 1470FPS from a 5" barrel. The .327 Fed Mag is a near terminal ballistic match for the .357 Magnum with the same bullet weights, yet produces less felt recoil and less muzzle blast. With Speer's longtime winning gold standard bullet, the Gold-Dot hollow point produces exacting results time and time again.
$19.76 per 20 round box.

Haven't bought or shot this stuff so I have no idea if it meets the claimed velocity. If it does..., then the 100 grain easily beats the Buffalo Bore offering. The 155gr Gold Dot load may edge the Speer factory loading.

At this early stage, I suppose it's not so much about performance as much as it is about simply finding an outfit that is willing to support the cartridge.

Welcome, Reed's! ;)
http://shop.reedsammo.com/category.sc?categoryId=181

Haven't bought or shot this stuff so I have no idea if it meets the claimed velocity. If it does..., then the 100 grain easily beats the Buffalo Bore offering. The 155gr Gold Dot load may edge the Speer factory loading.

That's a serious .327 load. ;)

Sorry, I had to. Late night. Bored. Can't sleep. Found the end of the internet. Came back to TFL. Found Sevens's typo. ;)

That is excellent news, though. It's even more impressive, since that's more than 40% cheaper than BB's offerings.

Thanks, Reed's!

a heads up. i did order some ammo from Reeds. Some rounds that were listed as in stock were out of stock after i had ordered. i got an email from them a few days after i ordered that 2 of 4 types of ammo i had ordered were out of stock even though listed in stock. took a few more days to get order changed after emailing a few times and calling. still havent gotten any information 11 days later on when ammo that was in stock will be shipped. not the best business model. i hope their ammo is worth the chore it is to get it.

New Ruger SP101

Ruger just recently released the (KSP-341X) 4.2" barrel 357 SP101. This is the perfect configuration for a 327 version:( Looks like the 327 is loosing it's way with the manufactures and consumers?

Last edited:
I still see them moving well. I do agree that the 4" SP101 would be a nice choice.

Today, I was actually in one of the most repulsive Mall Ninja gun shops in the Salt Lake Valley. What did I see surrounded by hundreds of tacticool firearms?...
Not one. Not two. Not even three. But, SIX .327 Federal revolvers.

In a case full of .454 Casulls, .460 S&Ws, and .500 S&Ws, a half dozen .357 Mags, and a lone Single-Ten, they had:
GP100 327
Blackhawk 327
SP101 327
Charter 327
Taurus 327 Blued (bobbed)
Taurus 327 Stainless

They even had 4 different factory loads at reasonable prices.

But that's not all!
They had an additional Blackhawk and SP101 as range rentals.

So, it has even gained some acceptance with Mall Ninjas and the Tacticool crowd, apparently. If we could just get Mossberg to chamber the 464 SPX in .327 Federal, it would jump from successful, to mainstream... ;)

Last edited:
t_beating_a_dead_horse_679.jpg

As long as people keep handing me the bat, I'll keep beating that horse -- alive, or dead.

And...
I came across an interesting bullet mold, the other day. Accurate Molds has a listing for a 150 grain 32 caliber bullet, capable of accepting gas checks, that they designed specifically for the .327 Blackhawk. It was designed to give you a maximum weight bullet, while using the extra cylinder length of the Blackhawk, without decreasing case capacity.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=2 (link to their catalog)
http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=32-150B-D.png (same link as above - the dimensional drawing)

The beauty of this design, for me, is that I can make it a dual-task bullet. If sized to .313", I can run it in my .32 caliber rifles, as well.

Last edited:
just another non-existant 327 owner

finally found a speed loader with what they call a bedside block-sweet :D

Attachments

• 327_7_bb_kit.jpg
    327_7_bb_kit.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 72
Back