10mm or 357 mag?

Well wait... 10mm conversion of a GP-100?

3 inch fixed sighted? Say a Willy Capp GP?

Now I might be interested in THAT, but not cause it's more powerful for deer or something.

Who does the conversions?

Deaf

It's neat. I've definitely thought about it. But I'd rather have a Smith & Wesson 610. But for absolutely no tangible need... just 'cause I've been a 10mm guy for so many years.

I can't imagine I'll actually find a 610 for a price I can stomach, so I probably won't actually get one.

10mm.

357 has the worse sound I've ever heard from any handgun.

Shrill, and simply awful on the shooters ears even with ear protection.

I sold a 357 Dan Wesson simply because it made no sense to own a handgun and shoot only low power loads in it.

10mm.

357 has the worse sound I've ever heard from any handgun.

Shrill, and simply awful on the shooters ears even with ear protection.

I sold a 357 Dan Wesson simply because it made no sense to own a handgun and shoot only low power loads in it.

Never heard a cartridge judged on its worthiness because of the sound of the report.

Nothing against the 10mm, but I prefer the .357 Mag. Mostly, because it is a revolver round.

I am a reloader. Being a revolver round I have more leeway with bullet shape as feeding through a box magazine up feed ramps isn't an issue. Being a revolver I have more leeway with how hot (or, more usefully how mild) I can load it as I don't have to keep it in a relatively narrow power band in order to assure proper action cycling. Being a .357 Mag I can also shoot .38 Spl out of it if I so desire (and I do, a lot), keeping in mind that I have to scrub the chambers to get rid of the gunk rings.

Now, if it were possible for a pistol chambered in 10mm to use .40 S&W then some of those issues would just go away. But it isn't possible, mostly because you'd have to swap out main springs (because the rounds are weaker), barrels (because the rounds headspaces on the case mouth) and modify the magazines (because the rounds are shorter).

Nah, I'll just stick with the old tried and true .357 Mag.

From what ive seen 10mm is a great round but both 10 and 357 top out at about the same.

If you like wheelguns get the .357 if you like auto get 10 and be done with it.

Practice is cheaper with 357 if you shoot 38.

Sure the 10mm and 357 magnum are about equal when comparing a glock 20 to a 4" revolver, but the 357 pulls away as the barrels get longer or the 357 is fired from a semi auto pistol. When fired from carbine length barrels it's really not even close. The 357 has a bigger case and uses slower powder it's not rocket science. I'm sure Glock 20 and 10mm fans are turning red in the face right about now but I really don't care.

How far does a .357" bullet penetrate before in BECOMES .400 or bigger? All that target or tissue is less affected by the .357 until it reaches .40 or bigger.

How far does a .357" bullet penetrate before in BECOMES .400 or bigger? All that target or tissue is less affected by the .357 until it reaches .40 or bigger.

the SD on a 357 is higher than a 10mm of the same weight. It will penetrate more.

That said the difference is .043 inchest. That is less than 1/20th of an inch I doubt it makes much difference on the receiving end. Id like to see some pictures of a 10mm getting 900 foot lbs of energy from a pistol. I have read people doing it but so far only the 357 crowd and produced any pictures.

About the same distance it take a 10mm to become .450 or bigger.
Id like to see some pictures of a 10mm getting 900 foot lbs of energy from a pistol. I have read people doing it but so far only the 357 crowd and produced any pictures.
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/topic/44346-power-pistol-loads/
here's the excerpt
"Glock20/6" 135gr. Sierra JHP xx.xgr. PP MV:1737fps ES-21 ME:901ft/lbs.
Kimber 135gr. Sierra JHP xx.xgr. PP MV:1633fps ES-59 ME:796ft/lbs.
Comments: No real gain in Kimber from xx.x load. Probablly not as efficient in the Kimber's 5" bbl.
The primers looked ok.
Good consistent load in Glock, primers no worse than other loads. The Jarvis bbl. really helps.
NOTE the 901ft/lbs. energy in the G20! "

Last edited:
If I were to have only one handgun and choices were either a .357 Mag or a 10MM, I'd go with a .357 Mag with a 4" barrel.

For bipedal defense, I'd use 158 grain SWCHP .38 Special +P rounds. For trail use, I'd use .357 Mag w/180 grain hard cast bullets or Partitions.

.38 Special is less expensive to shoot and is user friendly.

The 10MM is a good albeit niche round. It generates more velocity than necessary for self-defense.

For what would you use a .400 caliber 135 grain bullet @ better than 1700 FPS?
That's not my post, it's just one I found on 10mm talk, but I suppose it'd do anything a 125gr .357 bullet at over 1700fps would be good for. I don't personally worship the energy gods so I much prefer heavier bullets that carry more momentum.
I'm just tired of people comparing tongue depressors to pomegranates. If you're gonna run a 6" Coonan barrel and go over SAAMI pressure to get a 357 to 900 ft lbs it's only fair to do the same with a 10mm.
Besides if I just wanted to push .400 bullets to insane velocity I'd just break out the Buckeye sports Blackhawk and use the 38-40 cyl

mavracer,

Sorry about that.

I've never bought the light and fast argument, nor have I ever believed that the .357 Mag possessed mythical ability. The .357 Mag & 10MM are useful cartridges, but they are not panacea.

For any round to be effective, it must penetrate. Heavier bullets, having more mass & hence momentum, tend to penetrate more deeply.

I'd much rather have 230 ball .45 ACP ammo than a 125 grain .357 Mag at velocity that's realistic from a 4" barrel for self-defense.

BTW, if I were going to use a .357 Mag for self-defense, I'd use a 158 grain bullet; however, the reality is it wouldn't be much better than a 158 grain .38 Special +P. Handgun velocity w/o penetration is useless.

The difference is one of those loads can be easily duplicated with a long enough barrel while the other one is way over max saami pressure limit and is downright dangerous. If you're gonna post other peoples load data that's way over max pressure at least let people know so they don't try to duplicate it and get themselves hurt.

Back