10mm or 357 mag?

I bumped the Coonan post of your review on the semiauto forum. I dont think I have ever seen a 10mm as hot as that 357 magnum.

Run Underwoods's 135gr Nosler load out a 6" barrel. I know of a couple guys on the old 10mm forum that topped 1800fps with 6" Glock barrels and 135gr Noslers using Hodgdon Longshot.
Once again top to bottom they are very very close

Most aren't familiar with warm 357 Sig and .40 loads. Most don't know you can use .357 Mag bullets in the 357 Sig (just like you can use them in the 38 Super). I've seen the .357 Sig pump out some impressive numbers.
Since the .357 SIG uses 9mm bullets, (.355) I would think using .357 bullets in them would be a recipe for disaster.

One might think, but the 38 Super has been doing it for years. I know of a person who even loads the 158gr and 180gr .357" in the 357 Sig with impressive results.

mavracer said:
Run Underwoods's 135gr Nosler load out a 6" barrel. I know of a couple guys on the old 10mm forum that topped 1800fps with 6" Glock barrels and 135gr Noslers using Hodgdon Longshot.
Once again top to bottom they are very very close

I've ran 135gr Noslers out of 6" doing over 1900 fps, from a .40 S&W. On the other thread the guy ran 125gr Buffalo Bore .357's at 1800 fps from a 6" Coonan, they list at 1700 fps from a 6" revolver. I'd rather have the .357 125gr since it's likely a stronger designed bullet than any 135gr .400" so it would probably hold together a little better, and likely penetrate better.

But heavier bullets at high speed is more impressive than light bullets, and I would imagine the Buffalo Bore 180gr .357 Mag that lists 1400 fps could be doing somewhere around 1475-1500 fps from the Coonan, and that may not even be max, I've heard of folks pushing 180's to 1500 in a revolver, it would only be faster from a semi auto.

But nit picking aside, the two are fairly close. Bullet selection and tougher bullet designs go to the .357 Mag, and it gets the nod in power.

Bullet selection and tougher bullet designs go to the .357 Mag, and it gets the nod in power.
ROTFLMAO
Bullet selection maybe, I'm not sure how much tougher buller design you'd want than the 200gr WFN hard cast load I posted on page 1, and as far as power whatever you say:rolleyes:
10mm will have more power with similar weight bullets in service size weapons and the 357 will definatly have more from a carbine.
So giving either on "the nod" would be wrong.

Can we agree that either will be sufficient for the OP's stated need?

Yep.

Now I'd love to have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. Just love to have one, but my .357s cost no where near it and they will do the job fine.

Deaf

Not really.
There was a prototype, IIRC, but if you want .41 Magnum in a semi-auto handgun, you'll be needing a Desert Eagle.

Now I'd love to have a Colt Delta Elite 10mm. Just love to have one, but my .357s cost no where near it and they will do the job fine.
Again with apples to oranges.
"Gee I'd sure like to have a Colt Python but my EAA Witness 10mm cost nowhere near what it would and does the job just fine":rolleyes:

And that would be a hypothetical statement I have a Python and sold my Witness when I got a 1076.

Last edited:
Originally posted by WESHOOT2:
Can we agree that either will be sufficient for the OP's stated need?

I think over the last 5 pages most of us have. The majority of discussion since the opening post is which one we prefer and why. Kinda because this is what the Author of the thread asked.

Do you guys like the 10mm or the 357 magnum better? What do u think? Which would you prefer ?

As in any thread where an opinion is asked of two different platforms/calibers/manufacturers as equal as the two in this thread, there will generally never be a consensus. As opinions, none are necessarily right or wrong, just different. For the most part, this thread, considering it is another of many caliber war threads, has been quite civil and informative.

im a 357 fan but id have to say that from a pistol the 10mm will usually have more power. when you move up to carbines is when the 357 pulls ahead.

I am not sure where the switch takes place. If I had to guess id say 12ish inches. but that is just a guess.

I agree.

I just wanted to (re?)establish a baseline agreement.

Otherwise we'd be talkin' 44 Magnums and 45 Colt Redhawks :D

sold the 10mm; kept three 357s

Nope.

Sold the 45 Redhawk. All the dinosaurs around the yard were dead.

Kept the 44 :D
And the 7.5" 357. Can always club 'em to death with THAT one :eek:

David spargenator,

Within the parameters you're presented, the 10MM is superior. I like the .357 Mag. It's a great cartridge -some of its eminence based upon urban legend- that will work in many applications. However, the 10MM in a 1911A1 handgun would be very easy to carry, quick to battery, faster to reload, & hold more rounds that are more powerful than the .357 Mag. If fact, I'd rather have 13 .40 S&W rounds than 6 .357 rounds.

Disclaimer: I do not own a 10MM. I just bought a GP 100.

David,

One last point. I have fired every revolver round up to a .454 Casull. The .357 Mag might just be the most powerful handgun round that most shooters can fire accurately; e.g., w/o flinching.

I've fired a full-power .454 Casull 3 times, more than enough to know that I'll never fire another. A 6" 629 takes a lot, and I mean a lot of practice to become remotely proficient. Were I to use a .44 Mag handgun for defense, it would be loaded with .44 Special rounds.

Were I to buy a handgun more powerful than a .357 Mag, it would be a .41 Rem Mag or a 10MM.

SansSouci wrote:

Disclaimer: I do not own a 10MM. I just bought a GP 100.

You can apparently convert that GP100 to 10mm if you feel like spending the dough and dealing with moon clips. As an added bonus, it will then handle .40 S&W like .357s handle .38 special.

I've seen those 10mm conversions on the GP100, pretty neat. But unless you're a diehard 10mm fanatic it seems like a step backwards in power to me, and not likely worth the $$, but that gets us back into the debate of which is better.

Back