Your View on Coyote Hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Data from the state of Texas (and SC mirrors it) says that 60% of fawns born in the springtime will be dead by fall, with most of that due to coyotes. I do not want the coyotes eating the fawns on our place, so I have all the justification I need to hunt coyotes, not that I even needed that much justification.

As for the comments about it being "fun" - I'm educated enough to know that I would have grave concern for the demented person and the mentality of taking actual pleasure in the pain and suffering and killing for sport. Tell 100 people that you take pleasure in killing any living creature, and 99 of them are going to shun you and for good reason. It's twisted.

Who's talking about reveling in the pain and suffering, aside from you?

If it wasn't fun to hunt, people wouldn't do it. It isn't shameful. Or is it, Leadcounsel? Since almost everyone could buy 100% of their meat and leather goods from the store, doesn't that mean that anyone who hunts these days is twisted?

The take home message guys, is you should stop having fun on your hunts. You are abnormal if you like it. It's ok to do it, so long as it's a chore.

Hahaha. Agreed. Ever wonder why there is an adrenaline rush when you're about to pull the trigger? There is something innate in our consciousness that is deeply attached to harvesting animals whether for food and/or sport.

leadcounsel said:
I have very little respect for people who kill without purpose.

Very much injected into your post that does not exist in the posts of those you deride.

1)"without purpose". There is a purpose. Coyote are over-populated, genetically altered (doesn't matter if it's "natural"), disease carrying, game population destroying, vermin. They are killed with all kinds of purpose.

2)"Polluting". It's nature, sir, and you know it. A dead coyote is not "pollution". In fact, it's beneficial to the environment, if anything. All sorts of critters eat dead coyotes, including other coyotes. Dead animals do not go to waste nor pollute the environment.

3)How many species were hunted to extinction by American hunters? How many species were BROUGHT BACK from the brink of extinction by American hunters? I bet the balance would shock you.

4)Hunting IS fun. I don't know what world you live in but the number of folks who get any kind of benefit from hunting besides fun, pest elimination and/or tasty meat are in the tiny minority. The vast, vast majority lose far more money on their hunting than it would ever cost them to simply buy the meat. It's not the "quality" of the meat either. For what hunting costs, we could buy the cleanest, purest, best fed and raised, most perfectly "organic" game meat ever conceived... and be far ahead on the finances.

5)I don't care if you "enjoy" killing mice and rats or you don't. You do it, don't you? If the folks who are killing coyotes are doing it without purpose, so are you, because the purposes are identical. They are either real, or made up to make you feel better.

What's bad for gun rights and hunting rights is adopting the psuedo-animal rights mentality and trying to pass it off as a moral imperative. That's how they win. "Nobody needs an assault rifle to hunt deer." "Nobody should enjoy hunting." Nobody should kill without purpose." Purpose and need which only the anti is allowed to define.

Divide and concur. It works.

I just started coyote hunting about 6 months ago and I like it (although I haven't got one yet). Every once in a while I wonder how "ethical" it is to kill them though? You don't eat them, so is it appropriate to kill them?

Deer and elk you can eat, but coyote...not so much.

Obviously I don't have the answers to these questions, but I though I would see what you guys thought about the subject.

Back to the original question.

I applaud you for working out your hunting ethics. Too often we accept our father's opinions as our own when it comes to hunting or not hunting, but once you wrestle with them and decide what you believe because you looked at different sides of the issue, then, they are your beliefs.

That being said, coyotes can be hunted without any feelings of guilt or remorse. Due to the amount of land that has been developed in some areas, hunting is the number one conservation tool for many species. Without it, disease and starvation would be the "conservation" tool that limits overpopulation.

Originally posted by huntinaz:

Coyote populations need managed just like deer, elk etc.

Yep...and as with deer and elk, different folks have different opinions on the ethics of managing them. Coyotes are considered fur-bearers and as such, in many areas are taken by traps, which are seen as many as less ethical than shooting them. 'Yotes for years were poisoned, as it was an easy method of controlling them. Many questioned the ethics of this. What it comes down to is.... what is legal in your area. That is what you must be concerned about first. Then, use the ethics that you are comfortable with, and don't worry about what others think.

Coyotes are varmints, not game animals. They are a threat to our livestock (goats) and our house pets. Others have already mentioned the adverse affects coyotes have on deer populations.

By the numbers the earth is currently undergoing another mass extinction, not caused by a meteor or ice age, caused by human over population. As our towns and cities spread farther into natural lands, by necessity we displace the creatures that live there. Some creatures (coyotes and most other predators) do not fit in with humans or our livestock or lifestyles, thus it's necessary to remove said creatures.

Is it right? That's debatable, but if you have children, you have already put yourself on the anti-wildlife side of the fence. I don't mean to be harsh, but as the human population grows eradicating predators and pushing species to extinction is inevitable and necessary.

BTW I know lots of people take coyote pelts but here in NV we are allowed to shoot as many coyotes as we want any day of the year, but the NV Dept of Wildlife says to leave them were they lay (I assume for all the other scavengers).

Back forty or fifty yeas ago, some scientist said that after an all-out nuclear holocaust, all that would be left alive would be cockroaches.

Baloney. A coyote will easily make a living off of eating cockroaches. :D

If memory serves me right you can hunt coyotes in 48 of 50 states (none in Hawaii and not sure about Delaware).

Only one of those has any type of limit, the rest are unlimited. That ought to say something about how the various department of natural resources biologists think about coyote population survival chances versus hunting pressure.

By the way, the least developed state, Alaska, is the only state with bag limits.

I have very little respect for people who kill without purpose.

It's environmentally irresponsible. It's unethical. It's bad for gun rights (shines a negative view on gun rights). It's inhumane. It's selfish. It's simply uncool.

It's akin to polluting - like the jerk who poors his used motor oil on the ground, or dumps his trash in the woods, etc.

It contributes to ruining the environment and nature for future generations.

Lot's of irresponsible people in prior generations killed and wasted animals that we can't enjoy today.

As for the comments about it being "fun" - I'm educated enough to know that I would have grave concern for the demented person and the mentality of taking actual pleasure in the pain and suffering and killing for sport. Tell 100 people that you take pleasure in killing any living creature, and 99 of them are going to shun you and for good reason. It's twisted.

Of course, some vermin need to be killed but I wouldn't even take any pleasure in killing a rat or a mouse. It may be a task that needs doing, but there's no pleasure or 'fun' in it.

I'm not irresponsible, I'm not demented, I don't trash up or pollute the country side, however I have no remorse about killing coyotes and take great pleasure in every coyote I kill.

If you ever witnessed a calf being taken from a cow by coyotes and hear the screams of agony from the calf when it's being torn apart and ate while it's still alive, you might then change your mind about the killing of coyotes, then again you might not.

I also take great pleasure in hunting coyotes by calling them in with a predator call.
The end result is I kill them, again I feel no remorse about doing so and I enjoyed that hunting just as much as any hunting I've done.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

I fully understand the need to control excessive populations (of any animals) and the need to protect one's family, property and livestock. I understand hunting for food. I understand exterminating invasive species and a hundred other good reasons to hunt. I understand that many folks find hunting fun and relaxing. I had to kill a pit bull once and I don't feel the least bit guilty about it given that circumstance... but I didn't take pleasure in it.

My comments are about extermination of an indigenous species. Others have posted their opinions on coyote population and I'm sure they wrote the truth... as they see it. However, it can't be true "everywhere". I have to agree with leadcounsel that those who take great pleasure in the kill itself are twisted. I've seen hunters laugh or giggle so hard after killing an animal they they run out of air in their lungs. Sorry but IMO that is definitely warped... borderline psychopathic.

RE cruelty of coyote ripping baby animals apart while they scream: Yes, that's horrible. But there are many hunters (certainly not the majority of them) who either intentionally take a bad shot or miss the boiler room intentionally allowing coyote to scream in pain. As men we should have more compassion than coyote. Otherwise we're as evil as some folks are insinuation that coyote are.

EDIT: Let the flames begin.:p

Last edited:
I'll have to check that out after work, this computer won't open it.

It is just a state by state list of coyote regs as of 2010. For example, in AZ:

"*

Arizona

Season? Specific seasons and methods of take for certain units and locations are outlined in the Arizona Hunt-Trap Regulations available from the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

Hunting License? A valid Arizona hunting license is required.

Daily Limit? No daily or seasonal limit.

Night Hunting and/or Spotlighting allowed? An individual may take nongame mammals and birds by any method not prohibited in R12-4-303 or R12-4-318, under the following conditions. An individual:

1. Shall not take nongame mammals and birds using foothold steel traps;

2. Shall check pitfall traps of any size daily, release non-target species, remove pitfalls when no longer in use, and fill any holes;

3. Shall not use firearms at night; and

4. May use artificial light while taking nongame mammals and birds, if the light is not attached to or operated from a motor vehicle, motorized watercraft, watercraft under sail, or floating object towed by a motorized watercraft or a watercraft under sail.

www.azgfd.com602-942-3000"

Yeah I'm familiar withthe AZ laws, just seems like the vast majority of states (AZ included) have year-long seasons and unlimited bag limits.

There is a daylong coyote season in AZ now (night hunting). For night hunting there is a defined season restricted to specific units, no bag limit, and is shotgun only.

But there are many hunters who either intentionally take a bad shot or miss the boiler room intentionally allowing coyote to scream in pain.

Many? I'm certain that is not prevalent or even occaisional practice by the vast majority of the predator hunting community and it certainly has not been advocated in this thread or this forum.

huntinaz... I didn't write nor intend to insinuate "majority" of hunters. I wrote "many". Sorry if I was unclear. I edited that post.

BTW, I'm learning a bit here. I didn't realize coyote were so prolific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back