Your View on Coyote Hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike 1234; Respectivley, I wish to disagree with you on the subject that coyote populations are easily eradicated. Its exactly the opposite. They are impossible to eradicate. The coyote has proven to be the most adaptable animal there is next to the cockroach. They are heavily hunted, been poisoned, had bounties placed on them and hunted heavily with dogs, planes, helicopters and guns. They still are on the increase and have spread there range into every state and metropolitan city there is. They snatch dogs of the leash in Central Park in New York city. In Montreal they attacked a teenage girl who was jogging in a city park. For the above reasons that is why most states don't even protect them with a season.
If you want to eat them, go ahead, they like a dog. There has been a lot of humans that have eaten a dog, look at the Indian tribes, they didn't use them for hunting and it was hard enough to survive the conditions they experienced let alone feed a pet.

When I lived in Nevada, several ranchers paid me $15.00 for ever coyote I killed and I got to keep the hides. Up in the Paradise Valley area, the weather is such that cows can drop calves all year round. I've seen more than once a pack of coyotes eat the calf as the mother is dropping it. It ain't a pretty sight. The winter of 78/79 was a real money maker for me with choice hides, cold temps and lots of hungry coyotes. I sold enough hides to pay cash for a brand new 79 Ford F150 4x4. :D
I have eaten dog but not a coyote. Someone said they tasted rank. I can believe it. Probably be as bad as a garbage dump feeding bear. Coyotes eat anything. Garbage, carrion that's been long dead, you name it. I've foind one thing though that a coyote won't eat. A dead buzzard. :eek: I found a dead one right at the raildoad crossing and stashed it out a bit to one side. Fugured maybe a coypte would come along and partake of the free meal. That bird lay there and decomposed and even the ants didn't seem to want anything to do with it. Now that has to be rank.
OP. Go out and shoot a few "yote". You won't evem make a dent in the population.
Paul B.

Yeah, historically the eradication of the wolf was pretty successful in North America. We came close. Way closer than we did with coyotes, and the coyote population has rebounded a tad faster and with zero effort by humans.

The point of my post was that the coyote is more resilient than the wolf, I was not commenting on the ethics of eradication.

Okay, understood. It's just my opinion that we should be mindful of what we're doing as "stewards of earth's wildlife".

Mike 1234; Respectivley, I wish to disagree with you on the subject that coyote populations are easily eradicated. Its exactly the opposite. They are impossible to eradicate. The coyote has proven to be the most adaptable animal there is next to the cockroach. They are heavily hunted, been poisoned, had bounties placed on them and hunted heavily with dogs, planes, helicopters and guns. They still are on the increase and have spread there range into every state and metropolitan city there is. They snatch dogs of the leash in Central Park in New York city. In Montreal they attacked a teenage girl who was jogging in a city park. For the above reasons that is why most states don't even protect them with a season.
If you want to eat them, go ahead, they like a dog. There has been a lot of humans that have eaten a dog, look at the Indian tribes, they didn't use them for hunting and it was hard enough to survive the conditions they experienced let alone feed a pet.

That may be largely true. All I'm saying is we should be mindful of what we're doing as "stewards of animal life". Don't over-do it...

There are plenty of good reasons to kill coyote but just as many good reasons to leave them be. It depends on the particular situation at a given time. Eradication is seldom appropriate, IMO, except for invasive species such as wild hog. Even ugly/nasty buzzards have their proper place in this world as do snakes, rats and flies/maggots. It's all about balance. More often than not it's human interference and selfishness that causes imbalances in nature. Humans, and all living creatures, impact our environment. The key is to not damage it too much.

Will killing a few coyote help the environment you're in or damage it? And how many differing opinions will you receive regarding that question... and from what forums? If it's common knowledge that the coyote population is growing out of control in your area that's an easy answer. Otherwise, maybe not.

With all due respect, you are the only one that brought up "eradication." No one else mentioned it or advocated for it. There is a definite "shoot on sight" mentality out there, and, those that have it, do so for good reasons.

As has been mentioned, pest control and predator hunting will not put a dent in the population. No extinction. Nor would there even be extirpation locally or regionally

Questions that only you, can answer !!!

Obviously I don't have the answers to these questions,
The answer is simple; If you haven't worked this out for yourself, then don't hunt them. Killing of any animal, is a personal decision and one that all of us here have resolved a long time ago. This is exactly what we teach in class and hunting is not an obligation. However, hunting safely is a responsibility. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

My uncle has killed a couple of dozen coyotes off a single bait pile in under 2 years time. Other than the fact that he no longer here's then yipping at night there is no obvious effect on the population. He kills them at approximately the same rate now as he did two years ago.

I consider coyote to be vermin of the first order. They are like mice,wasps or woodchucks. I don't care how they end up dead, just as long as they do.

The coyote is new to me in the NorthEast. I have hunted here since the early 1950's and we never saw one.

Then maybe ten years ago they came. The coyote has wiped out woodchuck hunting. The 'good' woochuck hunting was when the chucks were plentiful and made their burrow in the middle of a field.

That was great rifle hunting and shooting. My favorite. We have woodchuck rifles and scopes. We have no woodchucks now.

The hunting was on beautiful farms. We were welcomed by the farmer as we got rid of the chucks free. We are not needed these days. I miss that hunting.

I have shot a few coyotes. Lots of 'hunting' and very little shooting.

When I came here to beautiful Colorado from back east in '78, there were no coyotes east of the Mississippi. Funny thing, that's just around the time when the whackos made in politically incorrect to own furs.

When there was a fur industry they could be harvested at will and there were still plenty left. There were also more baby pheasants, deer, antelope, rabbits, ducks, geese and other critters we hunted. And more groundhogs and woodchucks back east.

We are part of nature. We are predators. We compete with other predators including the coyote for meat and fur. Extinction is also part of nature. Species of animals go extinct for natural reasons and new species are discovered each year.

It would almost be impossible to eradicate coyotes through hunting. I shoot every one I see and leave it there. I have no desire to eat the damn thing and do not feel guilty about it. I would prefer to sell the fur. But the leftists have taken that from us. If anything should be eradicated, it's liberalism. That's where your guilt is coming from.

eastern coyotes are red wolves that mated with coyotes or other wild dogs.in a sense some people are right that there are no coyotes in the northeast.thats why there so big in new england and have a hint of red in there fur.

i have seen coyotes as close as 40 miles north of new york city and a couple years ago a coyote was stranded on the ice on the charles river in boston

there over running golf coarses in massachusetts and there infested in massachusetts in general.in vermont you occasionaly see coyotes,i saw a dead one on the interstate last week but its been a few years since i saw a coyote in the wild.when i lived in mass i saw or heard them every day

I've not seen the numbers Brian posted before, but it is my understanding that there is some red wolf bloodlines in there. Sometimes you find some eastern specimens that look more wolf than coyote because of this.

Coyotes arent a native species down here ... we made it plenty of years with out them. I shoot everyone I see and also run traps.

9% wolf and 9% dog... I bet you guys grow some big coyotes up there huh?

Our little desert coyotes average like 15-25 lbs. I bet they have very little wolf in them. Speculation, of course.

It's varmit hunting . If it makes you feel better or you need another reason take time to skin them and sale the pealt to help buy ammo . I try to make use of anything I shoot but some times it's just just because something is destructive or dangerous and happend to be at the wrong place at the wrong time .

Personally i don't hunt Coyotes here, as they are not a bother around me. I have no issue with people hunting them, it's just not an issue for me right now. As for ethics.....meh. I don't see it as unethical to hunt a creature that is making it harder for you or your livestock/pets to survive. If a neighbor was having yotes attack his chickens, i'd be out there with my rifle waiting the next day. Will i go out and kill them just to kill them? Nope, that's not my style. No judgement on those who do, it's just not what i do.

I have very little respect for people who kill without purpose.

It's environmentally irresponsible. It's unethical. It's bad for gun rights (shines a negative view on gun rights). It's inhumane. It's selfish. It's simply uncool.

It's akin to polluting - like the jerk who poors his used motor oil on the ground, or dumps his trash in the woods, etc.

It contributes to ruining the environment and nature for future generations.

Lot's of irresponsible people in prior generations killed and wasted animals that we can't enjoy today.

As for the comments about it being "fun" - I'm educated enough to know that I would have grave concern for the demented person and the mentality of taking actual pleasure in the pain and suffering and killing for sport. Tell 100 people that you take pleasure in killing any living creature, and 99 of them are going to shun you and for good reason. It's twisted.

Of course, some vermin need to be killed but I wouldn't even take any pleasure in killing a rat or a mouse. It may be a task that needs doing, but there's no pleasure or 'fun' in it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back