Your truck/trunk rifle choice

This is a fun discussion topic. Fact is just about any rifle you have, you like, you use well will work as a utility firearm. You probably don't want a new Weatherby rattling around behind the seat of your Dodge Ram or F250, so an old military rifle that's already cut down works fine.

The SKS previously suggested would be good. One of the combination guns with rifle and shotgun chamberings would be useful for many situations.

When I think of a rifle carried in or on daily transportation, one model immediately jumps in my head. Short, flat, easily stored...

standard.jpg

As utilitarian as they come. The standard 30-30 is powerful enough for just about anything you need to do with it. The sight of it doesn't alarm the sheeple as badly as would a black rifle. Hell, it's American as apple pie. One with a short barrel in a pistol caliber would also be good.

I used to carry a Keltec SU-16C but sold it to a friend to help finance my Henry Big Boy Steel .357 Magnum. I don't regret that decision, but the Keltec was a perfect vehicle carry rifle. The 16C was the best model for this role. The stock could be folded or deployed with a mag in place as long as it was a GI style metal mag. It wouldn't work this way with a plastic mag. It was also the only model you could fire with the stock folded. It was an excellent little rifle, but I love the Henry so I don't miss the Keltec, I much more enjoy shooting my AR in that role.

gyvel, I hope the best for you, please consider that some may not allow you the luxury to get the hell out of there. As our society continues to deteriorate the chance of being forced to defend yourself/others or be killed/injured is increasing.

I completely understand your viewpoint, but, again, if I am at "rifle range," which is a fair distance, I'm leaving. If an attack is imminent at close range, I fully intend to dispatch as many as I can with a shotgun.
Getting out of Dodge when the SHTF is always a good plan, BUT, "rifle range" is not necessarily long distance shooting anymore. The way the patrol rifle has been pushing riot guns or "tactical shotguns" out of LE use over the last decade is a perfect example. Modern projectiles have dramatically reduced over penetration concerns and shotguns can't match the rifle or carbine's accuracy and capacity making them, more and more often, the long gun of choice even for across the room and hallway distance encounters. And, of course, once distances get beyond 15 or 20yds most shooters handgun accuracy decreases dramatically, another 15 or 20yds beyond that and, depending on the load and barrel, the shotgun starts to lose it's effectiveness. Within those limits, it's easy to make an argument for any of the three weapons, all can be accurate and effective, each having a range within which it stands out but it doesn't take much distance for a rifle or carbine to go from being interchangeable with a handgun or shotgun to the weapon of choice.

So many schools, malls, stores, hospitals, factories, government buildings, repair shops, warehouses, etc, etc, have rooms and hallways that have clear lines of sight 25, 50, 100yds or further. It's very easy to suddenly find yourself at "rifle range" within the confines of a building. In fact, I'd say that any time your target is outside your effective range with the handgun or even the shotgun that you're carrying, you are at rifle range.

The obvious point is that there really isn't any substitute for accurate, effective fire. The argument for a rifle/carbine is that it extends our ability to accurately engage a target far beyond what most of us are capable of with a handgun (effectiveness generally limited by ability before the weapon) or shotgun (effectiveness generally limited by ammunition before ability). I kept a shotgun and later a patrol rifle in my cruiser for the duration of my LE career, but I've never made a habit of keeping a long gun in my POV. I've felt that I'm adequately armed with my 1911 and I can easily hit torso sized targets at 50-75 yards. However, the current socio-political "environment", a surge in hard drug trafficking activity here in Maine, the fact that the small hospital I work at has zero security, the scarcity of law enforcement in the rural area where we live, and the distances we're often traveling just for our regular shopping trips have caused me to reconsider. Just the other day I received a 5.11 Covrt M4 Shorty sling pack that fits my FN PS-90 like it was made for it, with space for spare mags and other necessities. No, it's not a battle rifle or AR variant, but it's convenient, light and compact, and the 50rd mags are a nice bonus. But the deciding factor wasn't the capacity or the size, it was the difference between being able to make torso shots at 50yds and head shots at 150yds. That accuracy is the difference between punching the bad guy's clock down the 250 feet of hallway from maternity and to the ER with one shot as opposed to hoping to make body shots at that distance with my pistol or having to close the distance to engage him at a range that I'm confident I'll make solid hits. 250 feet isn't all that far but it's an example of how a rifle could be a game changer at something far less than what has conventionally been considered rifle range.
aL0v_N-eFuSyBelMJyfFEZPQfzZQs1-7l5sfTRg8ix8rDJUdB7yyBbs9GeyGyFv7FKPmToHnl2zlRmKR-1SX69yq8NQnOGs5gZfTz7Yy7oyMH30Cv3m5x7exWGjTBpMlEyTk2uO18EF8vP7Tng5lIibzqH12zLNuEm4ZYmOsv1ZySol0B9TeuLszDLmZ-ADnukCzBcZ3-5MYUN7wQ6PNUu9GllSe6BXH2aU2ZRbn6rMhu1lcqcEi91AXKVpykvgdY7LXxKkYG-uM2vcGsT20txKIvgwzLJiqyOcWD5M6-epJyAwLJik02EgBzuo7vRzewYI08huDL07P8bzIPAKRgOZ9hW6mZkGOfyXsuQ0i7HDgq54SAkoUHdP6O302GJe9DiAnCFfyfDpaORz9Cl88tlI4GHg2fe8LH7ETrQF8YWaJfUQC2TBkbBFffjoyLyuYDrNySN9oofBbfjE58B6PGVqRKhaRuxD2Z-t6DwfZEdTSYEHuFdnAtD1FrdS_jlXSQSYhuM0dErxT9vaEFAfv9PihaHEnYtXfA5EyLY2F5ryCFfAIb8tiOAmhkO7BGW34f0aC=w1301-h651-no

Last edited:
Ugly as homemade sin so don't have to worry about it getting banged up and it shoots with the best of them.

What Hawg calls ugly I call utilitarian, I prefer function over beauty. A lever action in the hands of a person who is skilled with it is formidable, I support such a choice though a .223 autoloader is still my overall preference.

WC145, again I have to agree with you, but, to me anyway, the implication of the OP was what long gun would you have in your car trunk or truck cabin.

What I envisioned from that post is a scenario where you are out on the road driving somewhere, not in confined buildings or what have you; Those are entirely different situations.

As I mentioned, when I lived in Miami and had to drive to work every day to the airport through the black ghettos during the McDuffie and Overtown riots, I kept my Model 12 "Miami Nice" cut down pistol gripped shotgun with me, in addition to my Hi-Power.

Black kids were sniping at passing motorists from the overpasses as well as dropping concrete blocks on cars; There wasn't a whole lot you could do about that as you were on an expressway with moving traffic. But, if I got surrounded off the expressway, you can bet that the Model 12 would have come into action and I daresay that it would have been quite effective in dispersing the mob.

At any rate, YMMV.

Last edited:
Glock 20 is what is in my car always. However if I could leave a loaded rifle in my car I would. Out of my current arsenal I would probably choose the Tavor.

I think a Springfield Socom would fit this role nicely though.

It's nice to see people have chosen the M94 which is what I was referring to in the OP. :)

Ideally I'd carry my AR15 but it's just too expensive to risk it. If I ever HAD to bug out that would definitely be the gun I'd want with me. It's light, fast on target and has great capacity.

Duster340 said:
Here's mine. A stubby little .303 Brit.
f1...ps5766e6ef.jpg

My setup is pretty much the same but the chassis is from an Ishapore 2A1 in 7.62. Mine's been shortened to a 14" barrel with permanent FAL flash hider/bayonet mount and a plastic stock.

I wish I had the talent to take photos :(

If you use it, what then?

Years ago I read a sociology study conducted at some university somewhere where they brought students in to serve as a jury in a mock trial. The defendant was on trial for some homocide charge. Everybody but the jury were actors. The scripts were the same for both trials. Both cases asserted self defense. The only differences were the rifles used. One a AR15, the other a lever action wooden stock rifle.

Ar15 guy was convicted, lever gun guy was acquitted by reason of self defense.

I think about that when I choose a self defense weapon, or a long gun for my truck.

in congested east coast, including some peoples republics, i suggest a stainless marlin papoose takedown 22lr, its unobtrusive and if must walk it and ammo are light. a ruger charger 22 would also work. remember that most states forbid loaded long guns inside vehicles. carry a heavier caliber for handgun ccw.

18 "Tanker" M1 in 7.62/.308.

As set up below, with the Opolongo stockpak holding two 8-rd clips, you've got 24-rds "on the gun," counting the 8-rd starter clip that comes out of my belt pouch. The Schuster M1 brake reduces felt-recoil to that of a .243.

Handy, accurate, ... and, to my knowledge, it's still 50-states legal.

Back