Your truck/trunk rifle choice

A lever action rifle is certainly a good choice.
And it probably won't get anyone excited if it's seen.
Personally, though, I like a pump shotgun for a long-gun to ride around in a vehicle.
Lots less worry about rust and such, and about as versatile as it gets.

It depends on what I am doing and where I am going.

If I am going big game hunting, the spare long gun is one that is suitable for hunting big game. If I am traveling and staying in a hotel, then a KelTec folder that slips in the backpack discreetly. There are time when I have put an AR in the truck with a light and laser and other times when I have put the P12 with a light and loaded with slugs.

I used to have a IMI .357 Mag as a dedicated truck gun, then replaced that with a Marlin 1894 in .41Mag. I have since sold both of those and gone to more plastic and if I am going to have a manual long gun, I'd prefer a 12g.

I have three hammers and about 30 screwdrivers too. :D

While I don't carry a truck gun, I can offer a big caveat to you guys that want to use a lever action as a truck gun. Don't use Hornady LeverEvolution ammo in a truck gun. For one deer season, I used a 30-30 with LeverlEvolution ammo. It shot good and killed game. However, on one long weekend hunt I left my magazine loaded all 3 days. When I unloaded it after the long hunt I found that the plastic tipped bullets in the magazine all had a very nasty bend. Fortunately, the bends straightened out after sitting in the ammo box for a week or so but I'm glad I didn't have to rely on shooting them accurately on the last day of the hunt.

So, if you choose a lever gun as your truck gun - load it with normal metal tipped ammo.

Kel-Tec SU 16 models

USMC 77-81 said:
Kel Tec SU 16, .223.

Since I didn't see any statement from the OP on price, I would agree with USMC 77-81, and the reason for this is, the rifle is:
-Compact
-Fold-able with a magazine installed
-Accepts AR-15 magazines
-Pricing is right (for myself at least), less than AR-15's, and Ruger Mini's.
-Capabilities of firing both .223 and 5.56

Great choice in my opinion:rolleyes:

jeepm.jpg

Silverbullet that KelTec looks like a good choice. I used the gun genie link and my local prices were quite a bit higher. The cheapest was $545 plus all the add ons. I guess I will just stick with my marlin 357 for a truck gun.

If I lived in a dryer climate than NW Oregon, I'd get one of those rifle slings that attaches to the back of the seat in my truck then I could flip the seat forward to reveal the rifle. However anything I put in it would rust for most of fall and winter and maybe spring too.

If I did carry a rifle in my truck, it would be my H&R .223 Superlight single shot with a peep sight. It's very light and quick to load and get on target...

Tony

I envy you guys. We can't have an uncased long gun in a vehicle at night if you read the DNR's website and the state police website says pretty much they have to be away from you and the ammo too. Must be unloaded as well. With a license you can conceal carry a handgun. If you open carry in a car (in FAQ of the state police website) it basically says you will be held at gun point, exit your vehicle, and searched if you open carry in a car, although it's legal which is actually news to me. If it's a vehicle like a truck, the gun has to be disassembled or in a case if it's a long according according to the state police website.,

Personally, though, I like a pump shotgun for a long-gun to ride around in a vehicle.
Lots less worry about rust and such, and about as versatile as it gets.

Please explain this, how is a pump shotgun it's less rust prone? It's all about the finish.

Also to consider if it's a hot summer day might the ammo be over pressured?

Unless it's deer season I rely on an early 70's buckhorn sighted 336 loaded with Fed 125gr HP's.

This time of year is rough on tools in a vehicle around here. Daily condensation and drying rusts stuff quickly. I am sure a gun would suffer as well.

That being said, a 16" ar with the collapsible stock, or an ak with the folding stock would be good. Take it inside at night, and keep it lubed. My edc will be on my person as well.

I keep a s/s Ruger Mini-14 (unloaded, mags separate from the rifle) in the "Ram Box" of my Ram pickup truck. In the cargo area, under the folded third seat of my suv, is an unloaded, Winchester Model 1300 in a case.
No, neither gun is instantly available. But there are many scenarios one can envision when having access to a loaded firearm in well under a minute could prove to be a real asset.

how is a pump shotgun it's less rust prone?
kcub,
No rifling to worry about with a smooth bore shotgun.
Looser tolerances less harmed by any rust that develops.
Surface rust doesn't prevent use.
Shotguns are hard to destroy.

Probably something cheap. In my years as a gunsmith I saw tons of nice guns reduced to other-than-nice being left behind the seat.

Back in about 1988 I was standing in the parking lot of our indoor range with my employer, and he was looking for a piece of paperwork in his '69 Ford pick-up. Glovebox: "Nope...not here" Under the seat: "No.." Behind the seat: pause...he pulled a positively orange pre-64 Model 94 out. "I- I was wondering where that thing went"

I'd go with a Mosin, An SKS or an H&R Handi-Rifle.

QUESTION: What long gun do you / would you prefer to carry in your vehicle?

Although this is a rifle thread, you did say "long gun," and my choice is any reliable make of a pump 12 ga.

I can't ever see any situation where I would need to have the long range capability of a rife; If the range was that far, I can see that I would have a much better chance of getting the hell away from the scene instead of engaging in some long distance shootout.

I appreciate the support from Silverbullet, for those who have not looked at the SU 16 series, I would encourage you to do so for a truck, camp, ATV or general purpose rifle, it's hard to beat.

1st. Marine division, 3rd Marines, Fleet Marine Force.

Back