Your truck/trunk rifle choice

Here's mine. A stubby little .303 Brit.

Ohhh... THAT is sweet. If you could only find a "B" marked (bantam) buttstock, you'd have a really compact weapon, although I'm not sure if bantams were ever made for the No. 4s. (I'm a diehard fan of Lee-Enfields.:D)

Ohhh... THAT is sweet. If you could only find a "B" marked (bantam) buttstock, you'd have a really compact weapon, although I'm not sure if bantams were ever made for the No. 4s. (I'm a diehard fan of Lee-Enfields.)

A little bantam buttstock would certainly be neat gyvel. I too have a bit of a soft spot for Enfields :D

Duster, thats a cool little .303!

Thanks much mxsailor803. Picked up the old No4 Mk1 back in 80 for $50. Only to find out the 1st 6"s or so of the rifling from the muzzle was trashed. Sat in the back of the closet until a few years ago when I dug it out to see if I could make a shooter out of it. She's now a handi little shooter.

I only carry a rifle in the vehicle when going to the ranch; it's a little 7x57 carbine on a Arg.`09 action. I retained the straight bolt and added a 2 3/4x scout scope. There's usually a couple of stripper clips in the console... yep it's a handy little gun that I also shoulder when walking around.

I personally find the arguments for the SU-16 rifles the most convincing for a long arm in a rifle cartridge.

I'd personally go with a sub-2000 with mag wells that match my carry pistol.

Interesting both are from Keltec.

I don't own any shotguns that are short and handy for use exclusively around a vehicle. Even getting them in and out of the trunk can be awkward.

Last edited:
gyvel said:
Although this is a rifle thread, you did say "long gun," and my choice is any reliable make of a pump 12 ga.

I can't ever see any situation where I would need to have the long range capability of a rife; If the range was that far, I can see that I would have a much better chance of getting the hell away from the scene instead of engaging in some long distance shootout.

The reason for a rifle, such as the SU-16 models:
1. Multi purpose, and versatile.
2. Magazine capacity
3. Magazine load, instead of loading a tube in a hot situation (it is illegal here in Washington State to have ANY long gun loaded even if you have a conceal carry permit:mad:, unless you are hunting).

My suggestion was more based on versatility, and although a shotgun is one of the most versatile firearms out there, my concern would be capacity, and stowaway in a vehicle without taking up much space.

Apparently Silverbullet has given substantial thought to the issue at hand. A shot gun has its' place and up close it is formidable, unfortunately it is only formidable up close and not all targets are/will be up close. I have always advocated a rifle over a shot gun for precisely that reason. I can hit targets up close with a rifle, as a result I will take a rifle over a shotgun in time of need.

1st Marine Division, 3rd marines. F.M.F.

USMC 77-81 said:
Apparently Silverbullet has given substantial thought to the issue at hand. A shot gun has its' place and up close it is formidable, unfortunately it is only formidable up close and not all targets are/will be up close. I have always advocated a rifle over a shot gun for precisely that reason. I can hit targets up close with a rifle, as a result I will take a rifle over a shotgun in time of need.

Your are correct. I travel 75 miles a day just for work, and I am 40 minutes from home. So I always have it on my mind, "what to do, what to have in my car if something happens, and the quickest route home".

Magazine feed rifle all the way, and my CCW pistol.

Even though I am not allowed to have these at work, per work policy, I am allowed to have them at work (adobe or fixed place of business) per RCW 9.41.060 ("1. a. Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.")

I would rather be terminated from work for carrying, instead of being a victim cause of a work policy. Plus my manager supports my decision as well.

My suggestion was more based on versatility, and although a shotgun is one of the most versatile firearms out there, my concern would be capacity, and stowaway in a vehicle without taking up much space.

How would a shotgun take up any more space than a rifle?

A shot gun has its' place and up close it is formidable, unfortunately it is only formidable up close and not all targets are/will be up close.

And...what kind of "shootout" do you envision where you would actually need a rifle? As I said, if the 'target" is far away at rifle range, I'm getting the hell out of there before I get involved in a gunfight.

Last edited:
Not likely but its possible one might find themselves 90° from a fight between good guys and bad guys. If I had a way to make the bad guys cover and position untenable with flanking fire with no risk of innocent people behind I might consider engaging against the bad guys.

silverbullet6oh said:
I travel 75 miles a day just for work, and I am 40 minutes from home.

TimW77 made a good observation, yes this is round trip mileage. LOL:D

gyvel said:
How would a shotgun take up any more space than a rifle?

As I have already stated, specifically, the rifle I have endorsed in this thread to be optimal for the situation purposed, is a SU-16 fold-able model by Kel-Tec.

This rifle is 25.5" in length when folded, and has many more rounds available to the user in a magazine form, then any affordable shotgun in the same price range as the SU-16 models.

gyvel also said:
And...what kind of "shootout" do you envision where you would actually need a rifle? As I said, if the 'target" is far away at rifle range, I'm getting the hell out of there before I get involved in a gunfight.

It's mostly about capacity, and versatility. If you are going to underestimate the possible threat, then you have pretty much lost the battle:(. I never under estimate my opponent.

I am now done with thread, I have stated my case for my pick, and I feel that I have provided more then enough information. I will no longer view this thread. Good luck, ya'll:cool:

gyvel, I hope the best for you, please consider that some may not allow you the luxury to get the hell out of there. As our society continues to deteriorate the chance of being forced to defend yourself/others or be killed/injured is increasing.

Sterling Type II Carbine...with 4-34 round 9mm magazines --- Though to make it legal here in Maryland {since I don't have a CCW} --- I would have to transport it only when going to a shooting or hunting event.

gyvel, I hope the best for you, please consider that some may not allow you the luxury to get the hell out of there. As our society continues to deteriorate the chance of being forced to defend yourself/others or be killed/injured is increasing.

I completely understand your viewpoint, but, again, if I am at "rifle range," which is a fair distance, I'm leaving. If an attack is imminent at close range, I fully intend to dispatch as many as I can with a shotgun. Six+ 12 gauge rounds go a long way as a deterrent against a mob. In fact, a cut down pistol gripped Winchester Model 12 was what I carried to work every day during the McDuffy riots and the Overtown riots in Miami when I was going to work.

We are talking about what to carry in a vehicle here. At home is a different situation; I have more effective long range weapons at home.

Given my current situation and current location, I still don't see the need for any "hi-cap" rifled long gun.

And, no offense intended, Silverbullet6oh, but I would never rely on a Kel-Tec anything to defend my life.

Last edited:
I know this is the rifle section but under some gray laws the safest bet for my state would be a pistol with a concealed carry permit. If you want maximum capacity, why not an UZI? Or an AK pistol if you can handle the noise.

Back