Your truck/trunk rifle choice

turtlehead

WARNING: If the idea of someone else keeping a firearm in their vehicle causes you angst this is not the thread for you.

QUESTION: What long gun do you / would you prefer to carry in your vehicle?

I've been toying with the idea of keeping a lever action 30-30 in the truck. Not really sure why other than it's what I have handy gathering dust and it's better than no long gun I suppose.

If I were to use one for that application it would certainly be my Rossi 16" .44mag.

Your 30-30 sounds like a good choice

Something cheap, like a sportered No. 4 Enfield or such. Theft is a concern.

So is furnishing another SKS or AR to some miscreant.

I guess it would depend on where I lived and what wanted to be able to do with it. If I was.worried about the zombie outbreak or rogue motorcycle gangs I would put an AR behind the seat. If more realistically thinking stray cats, coyotes, cattle running dogs etc. (I live in the country), I would lean more toward something like a .17 HMR, but since I don't have one, my old Marlin .22 Mag is usually what rides along.

I always carry a extra handgun but when I need to carry a rifle in my truck, I carry a Pre 64 M94 30-30. It's about as versatile as it gets and holds a lot of rounds. It works in a hunting and defense roll.

Savage axis chambered in .243 Winchester dropped in a boyds laminate with a weaver fixed 6 on top. Great for quick shots out to 300 without even thinking.

mix

I've mixed it up over the years........no use having rifles and not using them.

There's a definite trend towards light and short....and traditional irons or peep.

Over the years:
M94...30-30
Marlin 92....357, Williams peep
Ruger tube feed .44 mag, XS sights
Mini30

I really wanted my Savage Scout to serve as a truck gun, but the scope, rings and overall larger size made it a tad to big for behind the seat of my mini pickup.

In the big Bronco, the Scout, heck even my shooter Garand, have rode for a while.

ArmaLite A2 AR-10 with 5X 20-round magazines.
Winchester Ranger youth 30-30 with 100-round box of ammo.
Both are custom fitted into profile cut foam in top of toolbox which locks and is under topper which I also keep locked, though easily broken into. "Out-of-Sight=Out-of-Mind."
Toolbox is also a 91 gallon fuel transfer tank bolted to bed of truck.
My concealed carry gun is stored in cab when not being worn. It is locked in manner to be easily accessible if needed.

Why 30 caliber instead of 22 caliber ? Because if needed in an automotive situation, I want firepower with penetration capability. Windshields at an angle with double-tap, side windows at angles, doors with extra side impact protection, wheels & tires, fenders, any place where a bad guy would try to hide. Am I trying to justify something - NO, just thinking ahead sincerely hoping it will never be needed. Hopefully my "situational awareness" will prevent my being in the wrong place to begin with!

If I'm going bird or coyote hunting, a rifle or shotgun better suited for that sport will be stored in a soft or hard case under the rear seat of my truck and removed to be cleaned, oiled, and stored in my gun safes when that sport has been completed.

Last edited:
I carry the jrc. Just right carbine in 45. I do it only because I like both my weapons being the same caliber even tho I don't keep both loaded with the same ammo.

I use to keep a old Savage 64 .22lr behind the seat of my truck. I'm now working on finding a locking mechanizm that would hold a SBR AR under the backseat of my truck.

I've seen blued guns get rusty in the trunk . I think it's from temperature variance between night and day, condensation.

I may get a stainless Rossi 92 454 and throw it in the trunk. Or just do the same with my Marlin guide gun in 45-70, also stainless.

British Enfield No4-MK1*

EnfieldNo4MK1_303_3_042708.jpg

I would think a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm, .40 or .45 would make a good truck gun. Lots of plastic and not a major investment at any rate.

Back