Your favorite trigger? (among the handguns you currently own)

Have you done the poor man’s Ruger revolver trigger job? It’s a 2-hooked U-shaped spring. Free one of the legs - much lighter trigger pull but longer lock time.

The trigger return spring has NOTHING to do with the lock time. It cannot and does not have anything to do with the speed the hammer falls.

If you want to comment on the speed the Ruger Blackhawk's hammer falls, saying its slower, please tell us slower than what?? Slower than it used to be before the poor man's trigger job? If so, I'd be looking for something other than the trigger return spring as the cause.

Slower than a Colt SAA? Slower than a S&W?? Maybe, but my senses aren't calibrated to measure milliseconds well, so its not something I really notice.

The time it takes the hammer to fall in any design is determined by the size & weight (mass) of the hammer, the distance it has to travel through its rotational arc, and the power of the spring pushing it.

. . . . Among the handguns you currently own, which has your favorite trigger (be specific). . . . . .
In my meager collection, there's a very clear winner. Springfield Armory GI model that got some attention from a gunsmith. It's the proverbial glass rod breaking.

I believe no trigger can be as crisp and light as a single action such the SA pull of my S&W 66 and Colt Phython. The only auto I have that comes close is the S&W 745 45auto because the trigger is totally free of any safety, the safety will lock/bock the firing pin only, meaning the trigger can/will release the hammer with the safety on. Weird/unusual yes but it has its +/-.

IMO no autoloader can have a trigger as fine as a SA/single shot because of the jarring action of the mechanism. Autoloaders need a good amount of margin/excess spring action/pressure to insure engagement under not so ideal conditions.

Overall I believe a pivoted trigger will have a better/smoother feel than the sliding trigger of a 1911 because of less surface area of the pivot vs the sliding surface area of the trigger within the frame. I imagine the sliding trigger can be modified to reduce its sliding surface area and/or finished to reduce friction but to me that's getting too exotic for my likes.

For me it's almost any well broken In Smith K-Frame revolver. The best I have regarding trigger pull is a mid 70's Model 10 that I bought at a pawn shop. It has the nicest double and single action pull. Smooth and light double action and light and crisp single action.

Mike

Revolver: S&W model 14-8 with a 13lb. reset spring.
Semi Auto: Volquartsen 1911 style target frame. I have three frames and they all are pretty hard to tell apart with your eyes closed.

Best stock trigger I own: S&W 1911SC-E.

Best stock DA trigger: S&W Model 19 (30 years old)

Best stock striker trigger: S&W M&P9 2.0

Best DA/SA trigger: SIG P229 w/ SRT kit

As of last weekend, I'll add a re-sprung Canik TP9sfx to my top three pistol triggers. Crisp and light (<3lbs) once you hit the wall, and the equally crisp reset is less than 1/8" from the release. It makes bouncing a ball at sixty yards very fun until the measly 20rd mag runs out.

Has to be my new-to-me High Standard Supermatic Citation Trophy. Early 80's model and the wear pattern indicates it was worn-in before I got it. Almost unbelievable that it's a stock trigger.

I'm working on a S&W Model 681 right now for a friend of mine. It's had several thousand rounds through it. The double action pull is like butter and the single action trigger is about perfect. Almost no take-up, barely any perceptible travel, and a nearly perfect weight for a general use revolver. I don't own it though.

My S&W 929 with an Apex Hammer and a light double action trigger pull of 4.5 pounds. This is a competition gun used for ICORE matches and while shooting for the small 4 inch X ring at speed this trigger can't be beat.

Autoloader : Dan Wesson C-bob

Revolver : SA on my 03 Smith V-comp 627

When I first heard the term "breaks like glass" I couldn't really relate, I do now!

S&W 586 and my S&W 41mag DW 375 is my favor hand guns. Now the lite pull is my KEL-TEC PMR 30 22mag

I would have to say it's a toss up between the single action pull on my S&W 586 or my Kimber Stainless Target II.

Revolver: Colt Officer's Model Match -- buttery smooth, even better than my Pythons.

Semi-auto: Very close between several 1911s but I think my Nighthawk is my favorite --- super crisp.

Back