Your favorite trigger? (among the handguns you currently own)

My S&W Shield Performance Center has what could be the best factory trigger every produced. I have had dozens of people dry fire it and they are all shocked at how good it is, most were convinced I had put in some kind of aftermarket kit into it. It has very little take up, an unbelievably clean and crisp break, no sponginess whatsoever, and very little movement after the break. Even the reset is short and very crisp. Everyone is convinced the trigger weight is around 4lbs even or just a bit under, but my Lyman digital rates it about 5.35lbs. I am not sure who built this gun at S&W but they need to be promoted. On a side note I have 3 other Shields, two with Apex trigger kits, and none of them have this good of trigger. Not even my M2.0 Shield.

I have 2 I like best , A Ruger CMD and a Kimber Custom II. I bought both new, boosted the hammers and installed Colt sear springs. Both weigh 3-1/2 LBS and have a bit of a roll. I have other guns with lighter, crisper triggers but I like the triggers on these 2 best.
The Ruger is a favorite shooter, the Kimber is not but I cant explain why because it shoots great. I'll add that neither gun was right from the factory. I repaired the Kimber. Ruger replaced the CMD and the replacement had to go back on warranty. You never kn ow what you'll like till you shoot it a bit.

My late '70's Smith 57 has the smoothest action of anything in the safe... crisp and light let off. My Buckmarks have a good trigger, and my Kimber Pro Eclipse II has a nice trigger, nothing beats that 57.

The best trigger I've ever fired in any firearm ever:

My M&P9 (1.0) with the Apex trigger kit installed. It's mind-blowingly good. Better than custom 1911s I've owned, better than the CZs I love, better than Pro Series S&W revolvers, better than all. I could gush about it all day. It's perfect.

Now... if only I could get that trigger on a hammer-fired gun... life would be complete.

Honestly I'm a little ashamed to say that my favorite is on a Rohm/RG model 66 SA nickel/faux pearl revolver.
The scale puts it consistently at .45#.
I originally bought the revolver for my boys to plink with back in the day and save my pocket book on range days, but I love shooting it myself now.

I love the triggers on most High Standards- especially those from series 102, 104 or 106 [but the earlier ones are nice too!].

A well-tuned 1911 is hard to pass up!

My Buckmark, with the factory adjustable trigger and the Heggis Flip, is almost as good as the High Standards.

Revolvers feel 'different', but there are some nice ones out there. A well tuned Colt Officers Model Target/Special/Match is hard to beat [if the stacking is fixed], as is a well-tuned S&W K frame [K22? K38?].

Even Ruger's can be tuned to be NICE!

It is hard to identify the 'best'- as we all have different ideas of what we want. However, I have a few that always get compliments from others- and that makes me happy.

I have a top 3 of the pistols I own.
#1-#2 SAR K2P
#1-#2 S&W M&P 22 compact
#3 Remington RM 380
#1 and #2 is a toss up. I've had the SAR longer and it is my go to. As in, if I could only pick one, the SAR K2P would be my life gun. The M&P is a little crunchy, but very predictable and I am a fan.

The rm380 has DA only pull that I absolutely love. There are a lot of complaints about this trigger, but I think it is great for it's intended purpose.

Can only relate to what I own;
Tanfoglio Witness 45acp Large frame metal, older model
EAA Witness Pavona, new less than 400 rounds thru it.
Taurus PT92C, older model
XD Mod2 45acp, new less than 400 rounds.
XD Mod2 9mm, older
S&W 380EZ, new less than 250 rounds

Of all these I believe the Taurus PT92C has the best trigger. So do others that shoot it.

Best Single Action Pull:
S&W model 629 Classic 6½" 44 magnum. It literally seems like when I want it to go off, it's off. No movement, just thought. Most accurate handgun I've ever shot.

Best Double Action Pull:
Walther Creed 9 mm. It has a noticeable but not too long take-up, followed by a crisp, light let-off. Near perfect for a fighting/defensive pistol.

Absolute favorites are the single action mode on my S&W 357s.
In my semis, 1911, followed by P7, and - believe it or not - a Kahr CM9. That pull is long, but it is smooooooooooth.

Semi-Auto: Belgian Browning Hi-Power which had a professional trigger job at one time.
Revolver: Colt Python.

Triggers

Colt 1991A1. After several thousand rounds.

S&W Mod 67 with target trigger ( It came that way). Single action is smooth and crisp.

SA Ruger Single Six .22 convertible and Blackhawk .45 convertible.

In Semi Auto it's hard to beat the two 1911s I have

SA Ruger Single Six .22 convertible and Blackhawk .45 convertible.

In Semi Auto it's hard to beat the two 1911s I have

Have you done the poor man’s Ruger revolver trigger job? It’s a 2-hooked U-shaped spring. Free one of the legs - much lighter trigger pull but longer lock time.

I have .22LR and 44mag ruger sa’s and did this on both. Reliable ignition, light trigger - but the hammer falls down slower.

Ehh, almost all of my triggers have had a little work. Nothing major, a little polishing and some springs. My favorite favorite has to go to my 1911. 21# marinating and a tuned leaf spring, plus lots of polishing (except the sear/hammer engagement).

But then there is the CZ p07. It's a favorite too, but not as much out of the box. Some polishing and 45 bucks at CGW turned into a da/sa trigger that sig fans would drool over.

Probably my "best" out of the box trigger was on my khar cw9. Not super light, and it's really long, but it is smooth. Like a tuned S&W revolver. This is the only stock semi-auto pistol trigger i own.

And there you go. 3 very different trigger feels, but all world class in their respective category. Sigs have good triggers, but I don't rate them as great. I'm a good trigger guy btw. Most of my firearms have trigger work.

S&W 629 Mtn

Perhaps 20 yrs ago, I stumbled up on a deal for a very early production .44 Mtn Gun. I'd traded away a 6" M29 a few yrs before, the 6 incher was just not portable enough to suit me. The 4" Mtn was tidy and easier to carry. And the single action trigger is just out of this world. I describe it as willing the gun to fire, and it does. Spectacular.

Double action is not bad either....but the SA is the best I've ever felt.

Back