You Own Several Different Gun Brands, So Which Brand Gets Range Use Most Often & Why?

My EDC, Beretta nano 9mm, then I also take my Ruger Mark III, or Ruger black Hawk. That's what I take most of the time to the range. Sometimes I take my RIA 1911 in 9mm or my Ruger Police 6 in 357 and 38 special. That's all range stuff. I also own 80 some acres in South Carolina between Clemson and the Georgia line. I shoot a lot of steel there, so I could be carrying almost anything and sometimes everything I own, 9mm 357, 22, 25, 223, 7.62 and lets not forget the Tannerite. That stuff is fun

Others rotate, but for the last several months the American version of the SIG P210 has been going with me on my trips to the local range. This is a pistol I was prepared to dislike,i.e., being of US manufacture and not Swiss or German. But so far, haven't been able to come up with anything to gripe about from the standpoint of fit, finish, trigger, reliability or accuracy.

PzGren, If I had one of those Korth revolvers, I'd probably be throwing rocks at any of my current guns Those are beauties!

Thanks Rock,

I have a Swiss P210-6 that I like and have shot extensively but the Korths are indeed very nice to shoot and since I have many of them, they do keep me busy shooting and caring for them. That American P210 is a great gun from everything that I heard so far.

Attachments

• P210-4n210-6.jpg
    P210-4n210-6.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Between my SW, FNH, Heritage(rough rider), and pietta 1960 clone, the heritage gets the most use because it will shoot the cheapest dirtiest ammo I can find. Second would be my FNX40 because its my HD gun and I love the ergonomics.

You Own Several Different Gun Brands, So Which Brand Gets Range Use Most Often & Why?
I missed the part about "why?" in my first response, so I thought I'd give my reasoning here. When I was younger I seemed to be able to switch from one pattern to another without much thought. For instance, when I was in my early twenties I either carried a model 19 or a 1911 most of the time and had no difficulty with handling or shooting either no matter how used to one or the other I became.

Then a few years ago things began to change for a variety of reasons, but the bottom line was that I found it took me some time to get comfortable with a revolver after spending several weeks carrying a semi or vice versa. Or carrying one of my DA/SA pistols after carrying one of my 1911s for awhile.

I decided that it was just easier to become very familiar with one platform/pattern. Originally I wanted to get a brace of SIGs to cover all my bases, but in the end I found that I wasn't completely comfortable with the DA/SA configuration, and that in the full-size versions the SIG grip was just a bit too large for my hands. And for my defensive purposes I decided that was unacceptable. I had the same kinds of issues with the Glocks I sampled.

That led me down a long path of trying to find another pattern gun that fit my needs, which ended up with the S&W M&P series eventually winning out over Ruger. Like the Sig or Glock, the M&P series is very modular, so going from one caliber or size to another is a matter of adjusting to only felt recoil impulses and nothing more. All controls, grip feel/size, etc., are identical so I don't have to remember anything extra going from gun to gun to gun.

I also like the fact that my M&Ps are so reliable when it comes to ammo selection. They'll eat anything, whether it be manufactured rounds (target or SD) or my reloads, without issue. My Glock 19 g4 is decidedly more picky, especially about my reloads, and I'm not excited about buying rounds for a single gun.

Anyway, since at least half of my time at the pistol range is taken up by shooting SD drills, most of the time at least a couple of my M&Ps get tossed in the bag. Consequently, since switching to this "one pattern" philosophy, I've found that my overall skill level has risen significantly, as well as my confidence level with any of my SD pistols.

But like I said, I make it point to just have some fun at the range, so at least one 1911 always makes the trip, and every other trip my .357 or .44 mag, because it's just fun to run a good 1911, like driving a Porshe roadster, or touching off some hot mag loads, because who doesn't like blowing things up and big fireballs now and again.

That's sort of a circular question. I carry a Kahr, so it gets shot every time I'm at the range, so I guess that would check that box. As far as the rest of the pistols... I probably shoot them as much... equally... as any of them. I don't have any safe queens... so they all get fired. If we were to split hairs, I guess I fire my 1911's more than any of them, and my .22 Buckmarks the least.

I shoot a number of handguns. I guess my favorite is the Ruger MK II, my least favorite is the Ruger New Model Single Six. Love to shoot the 1911 and any of the 9mms.

ruger single six or heritage roughrider with 22lr cylinder to clean up all the odds and ends ammo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whatever I will be carrying gets the most time but then there will usually also be a "I haven't shot this for awhile ..." candidate as well.
That's me. Mostly Glock unless I'm carrying 1911s, then Dan Wesson.

The rest get much less range time and I prefer to use my limited range time to focus on my CCW.

I only own 1 gun right now (Howa Model 1500 in .308, her name is Helen), so that one.

I hope to buy A) a ruger AR-556 B) a mossberg 500 hunting 12 gauge and C) a ruger 10/22 takedown within the next year or so and plan on practicing on each of them regularly, though the AR-556 and the 10/22 will probably end up being used the most due to cost of ammunition and relative fun shooting.

My favorite guns to shoot are a Canik S-120 ( all steel Cz 75 clone ) and a original S&W model 66. Followed closely by a Cz P-09. The ergonomics of the Canik and the Cz are just about perfect for me. I grew up shooting S&W revolvers, so the 66 feels like a old comfortable pair of shoes.

The Pistol & Revolver that I take to the
range are the ones that I am the least
Accurate with. The 2 that I’m talking
about are my G43 & 2 inch 357 in mag.
As soon as I go to my G19 & my 3”
S&W 686 plus it’s like night & day.
Guess I’ll have to practice more on
the G43 & S&W 686 plus 3”.

The Kimber 1911 in 45ACP and the Ruger GP 100 in .357 Mag see enough range time to keep me accurate, but the Springfield XD9 gets the most range time because it's my carry piece.
With rifles, it depends on the time of year. Before hunting season, it's the Marlin 336 in 30-30. The rest of the year it's either the Ruger American in .223 or the Ruger 10-22 or Marlin 60 for plinking.

They all serve a purpose but when at the public range I shoot my EDC, P320c RX. Spent my life training dogs and horse so know the value of muscle memory.
It's decked out for one handed use and the distraction of gunfire from others is good from time to time.

The one I shoot the most is my Buckmark because 22lr is cheap.
After that my CZ 9mm's also because ammo is cheap. Everything else I reload for. Funny thing is I take more time and effort with my reloads.:rolleyes:

Back