You are DEFINITELY a gun nut when......

M88 said:
This "excuse" has been used in this thread before, but I accidentally ordered .22 pellets for my Umarex air gun instead of .177. FIRST thing entered my mind was... well I don't have a .22 pellet gun for cheap plinking, wonder how different, other than probably slower pellet, it would be from my .177. Jumped online and ordered a .22 pellet gun! Cheap fun in the basement "range" when you can't get to your "real" range. BTW, when a newbie comes to me and wants to learn how to "shoot a gun", ESPECIALLY if they have never handled one, a great way to teach them gun safety is in my basement range with air before we actually step foot in a real firing range. That has worked well over the years, as I find that it lessens the "shock" of firing and feeling that first live round.

I used my airsoft guns to teach my kids the basics of firearm safety...

A little related. My wife bought me a large target for my birthday a few years ago. I couldn't stop laughing. It was a large archery target. You know, about 3'x3' and about 18" deep? I laughed because I din't own any archery equipment. BUT, I'd been wanting a crossbow.

SOOOO, I kept the archery target and bought a $1k Ten Point. It was a great birthday. Hoping she buys me a box of ammo in a caliber I don't have! ;)

When you have a habit of 10 minutes a day practicing manual of arms and dry firing your CCW/Home defense.

You are a gun nut when it takes several days to see the same weapon in practice.

You live in a Family of gun nuts when your wife walks in and starts telling you about her day....

Last edited:
When your friends say they are moving in with you in case of a zombie apocalypse / alien invasion/ other end of the world scenarios.

Last week I was at my folks' place, and Dad was messing around with stuff in the kitchen. I knew he was planning to shoot some pistols the next morning, but had no idea which of the 50 possible choices he was planning to take.

I heard him dry fire one. It was striker fired, but it sounded old school, like machined steel instead of plastic parts. I hollered in, "You messing with your old Ortgies?" Yep. A while later I heard him rack a different pistol, and thought I could hear the tinkling of the barrel link. "You got a 1911 now?" "Yep."

So yeah. If you can tell what kind of gun it is just by the sound of working the action, you might qualify.

You get interested about a job listed as "Range Management" and get disappointed discovering it is about cattle grazing.

Back