Why clean a new gun before shooting it?

I usually clean and oil a new one real good before shooting. Especially my Mosin, it took me like 3 hours to clean all that dang cosmoline off. I recently got a Taurus TCP and pulled a no no and shot it before cleaning and oiling. I put 50 trouble free rounds through it. Then I came home and cleaned it real good. It was nasty inside. Not sure if it was the leftovers from shooting or the packing grease junk. Probably a mixture of both.

There were no problems with it though. :D

I want to get any grit, dust, metal filings, whatever, out of the action before high-pressure cycling it about 200 times at the range. So I dissasemble and thoroughly clean, then lube and reassemble. I also want to closely inspect the weapon. I find a scratch or a crack on a factory new gun, it's going to be returned before firing, not after.

Last edited:
New Gun Cleaning

Strip it down give it a good cleaning before its first use and it will help with the sometimes painfull breakin time,(fewer jams)

Lube and Quality Control

So when an individual receives a brand new AR upper, slaps it together, and upon inspection finds what seems to be brass colored flakes or spurs in or around the chamber, what might that be? I'd assume it is tiny shards of brass casing from the initial test fire. Most companies do test fire weapons before listing them am I right?
And a solid but thin layer of CLP all down the exterior of the barrel would be fine. But when referring to this rust prevention is it thick like vasoline or just slightly thicker than CLP?
This is only my 2nd post so I have a few more questions. Just looking for the right place to set them.

welcome to TFL

This is only my 2nd post so I have a few more questions. Just looking for the right place to set them.

The last time this thread was active was 2011.

TFL keeps old threads because some contain historical information, but its considered best to start a new thread for accurate current information and discussion.

AR questions would go in semi auto rifle forum, or build questions in the gunsmithing forum.

Welcome to TFL!

I find lots of crud in brand new guns and barrels. ESPECIALLY in AR barrels and bolts, metal chips from machining and cutting rifling. Had a new 6.8 bolt that wouldn’t eject because a chip of metal was stuck between the ejector and the hole it rides in, causing it to stick in the depressed position. Also recently had a new Uberti that had rust in the barrel, plus you don’t want to burn in that olive oil or whatever they lube their pistols with for shipping. At the least I have found dirty oil in the bore from machining. Gun factories aren’t operating room clean, they are dirty, industrial environments.

Back