Why clean a new gun before shooting it?

Yea, and when you buy a new car or truck just take it out and run the crap out of it. Take it 4-wheeling in the swamp. Pull the heaviest trailer you can find, and load the bed full of firewood to.

You can't seriously suggest that the above can be equated with choosing not to completely strip and clean a new firearm before shooting it? If you want to use the automobile analogy, then you should suggest not driving a new car without first disassembling the engine and cleaning it. When was the last time you did that?

Where in the owner's manual states to use common sense?

I would suggest that for most gun owners, it wouldn't occur to them to take apart their firearms completely and clean before firing. It has nothing to do with common sense! If it were that important, it would indeed be in the manual. Having said this, I applaud folks who clean every crack and crevice of their firearms. In fact, I myself probably err on the side of over cleaning!

After all the explanations, I have to ask why NOT?

I wonder if some of us (me) misunderstood the OP's question? If he is talking about completely disassembling a firearm, then I would answer the above question with, "Because many folks won't be able to reassemble the firearm." And, don't say that if they can't do that, then they shouldn't be using a firearm. That would be ridiculous.

However, if he's talking about simply taking it down as far as recommended by the manufacturer, then yes, by all means that's a good idea. It may not be absolutely necessary, but it's a good idea!

It has nothing to do with common sense!

It has everything to do with common sense. But you still missed my point. The Army book of Regulations doesn't tell you where the mess hall is, but everyone sure knows how to get there...

Tuttle, I disagree with you. If it was a big deal, or a deal at ALL to manufacturers, it would be in their manuals.

The manuals are so over-written with 'common sense' because of the lawyers ('This mechanical device may cause injury or death') that your argument falls flat.

I assert that it isn't necessary or even important to disassemble a new factory weapon before shooting it the first time. If you like the smell of Hoppe's in the morning, or you buy guns covered in sticky stuff, by all means. But there have been very few compelling reasons posted here to do otherwise.

I generally ignore the dogma like 'CLP is worthless' and 'that's just dumb'. Those comments in and of themselves aren't helpful or thoughtful responses to my OP.

I enjoy cleaning my guns, and it's also a good excuse to avoid doing the stuff on my sweetheart's "honey do" list.

"Oh my darling, I would love to reshingle the roof and rotate the tires today, but I have to clean my guns." Works every time.

because most guns are dirty when you get them, and I personally, like to have my routine solutions and lubes in place immediately.

But you still missed my point. The Army book of Regulations doesn't tell you where the mess hall is, but everyone sure knows how to get there...

I'm still missing your point. What the heck does knowing where the mess hall is have to do with the topic at hand. Tuttle, I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but I relly don't see the connection. Are you saying that someone should know to disassemble and clean a firearm without being told to do so? If so, I may disagree, but I understlnd what you're saying.

Pull the heaviest trailer you can find, and load the bed full of firewood to.

If its a diesel, you bet! :D
Hard pulling keeps the temps and pressures up so that the rings seat properly.
Working a diesel hard from the start results in better mileage, less sooting up, and usually a longer life.
The variable-vane turbo's are also fond of hard work because full throttle causes the vanes to swing their full range and that knocks off the carbon that will build up and block the vanes travel in the future on trucks that are Nancy'ed around to run errands.

Totally off-topic, but good info for you other diesel drivers. ;)

btw... that was a real crabby post there cheapshooter. It discourages conversating, and thats a stupid thing to do in a forum.. chase people away, wheres the point in that?

My goal was not to argue that cleaning is harmful. Clearly, when done correctly, it's not.

Like another gentleman commented, I think it's a sacred cow that is neither necessary nor important. But certainly if you for whatever reason choose to do it, I will never say don't.

But what we do know is that it's not a specific recommendation of many manufacturers. Over the years, I've come to the conclusion that exceeding manufacturers' recommendations for maintenance, whether it's with a gun or a car or any other machine, is not necessary and at best results in marginal benefit. On the other hand, time spent cleaning could be time spent shooting.

There will always be dogmatists, and that's okay by me...blow your hairdryers on your guns...it hurts nothing and theoretically may be of some help.

But for me, I enjoy the time I'm pulling the trigger and hitting where I intend to hit. I enjoy the elegance of simplicity. I do not want to create any stress or hassle where no such stress or hassle is necessary. That's just how I see it. I have no bones whatsoever to pick with those that see it differently.

It has nothing to do with common sense! If it were that important, it would indeed be in the manual. Having said this, I applaud folks who clean every crack and crevice of their firearms. In fact, I myself probably err on the side of over cleaning!

Tuttle, I disagree with you. If it was a big deal, or a deal at ALL to manufacturers, it would be in their manuals... I assert that it isn't necessary or even important to disassemble a new factory weapon before shooting it the first time.

Not one manufacturer is going to be stupid enough to place a disclaimer or step to field strip and clean/inspect your new gun. That's just placing a target on their chest that says, "Don't by our products because we're not confident enough to send out a gun without a defective part or garbage/debris in it". To think just because the manufacturer doesn't have a step or procedure in their manual gives the green light to do or not do it. One that wants to use judgment strictly based on what's in the manual provides a perfect example that common sense is definitely at stake here.

Ever had your car tires replaced without you observing? Ever bought a new car? Ever bought a new-to-you car? If so, you can honestly tell me you just merely checked the oil, slammed the hood, and off you go? Well, I don't. I check the tires, under the hood, steering operation, and a few other cursory items before driving off the lot. I always thought it was a stupid thing to do since it was drilled in my head by my father, but I did it anyway. Glad I did spend the five minutes because someone would probably have been hurt or killed if I didn't. There's not one, single car manufacturer out there that tells you to check your car over before you first drive it off the lot.

It's important TO ME. It's common sense, TO ME, to field strip and clean the gun before going on it's first outing. Cleaning it assures I removed anything remotely possible that would gall(sp) friction surfaces, namely stainless steel. It assures any hidden debris left from the factory or some potential customers' crap from fondling it at the gun store is removed so there isn't any possible malfunctions. You never mentioned performing this, but I clean the barrel out to make sure there are no obstructions. A cleaned firearm provides easier inspection of critical components to assure there are no major defects such as cracks or corrosion (yes, there ARE new firearms out there in gun stores with corrosion on them). Merely slapping some CLP does NOT assure the said items are performed.

I'm not attacking you or anyone personally. I am attacking the statements of those that think they can fully trust a "new" piece of machinery coming from the factory is completely safe and cleaning/inspecting it is of no need. It's unsafe for the shooter. It's unsafe for the bystander. And it poses no common sense to do so in...my....not...so...humble...opinion.

That's my common sense lesson of the day. Class dismissed...:)

Ever bought a new car? Ever bought a new-to-you car? If so, you can honestly tell me you just merely checked the oil, slammed the hood, and off you go? Well, I don't. I check the tires, under the hood, steering operation, and a few other cursory items before driving off the lot.
You did a function check, nothing more, nothing less. You didn't re-change the oil, bleed the brakes or re-lube the bearings, did you?

You continue to make my point.

Do a function check when you buy a car or a gun.

Don't strip it and waste time and money. It is an obsession with virtually no basis in reality. Yes, we have someone here that has found peanut butter in his new gun. I take his post at face value, and I have no reason to question his veracity, so I won't.

I just like to clean them myself before taking them out to shoot, with how anal I am with my firearms there is something comforting knowing the cleaning and lubrication was done by myself.

Why not just field strip it, lube it and have at it?

If it's not covered with cosomoline, I don't get the standard recommendation to 'give it a thorough cleaning first'.

If it's dry when you take it out the the box, put a little CLP on the slide rails, lightly oil the barrel exterior and typical wear areas, and shoot it. If the mags are clean, you're good to go.

That's what I think.

What do you think?

I believe a man should do what he thinks is right.

I clean and lube mine. Works for me. If your method works for you, keep at it. :)

I believe a man should do what he thinks is right.

I clean and lube mine. Works for me. If your method works for you, keep at it.
I think that is a completely reasonable and sensible way to look at it. Two thumbs up as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think a lot of people here get the point. We are not talking about a complete dis-assembly of the gun. Just a simple field stripping, wiping clean the parts of any excess grease or oil , run a patch through the bore, light oiling and re-assembly.
In fact the OP stated just field strip and oil. Why not wipe it down and run a patch through it then anyway?
That is actually the procedure I follow with any of my firearms before I head to the range be them brand new of one of my old favorites. maybe that has something to do with why I have so many old favorites!
I also give my carry weapons the same simple cleaning and lubricating monthly weather I have fired them or not.

Quote:
Step 1: Dump 1 gallon of oil into a plastic bag.
Step 2: Insert Pistol
Step 3: Seal the bag

That sound like Kahr, too.

You did a function check, nothing more, nothing less. You didn't re-change the oil, bleed the brakes or re-lube the bearings, did you?

No, but I did INSPECT to make sure nothing was leaking and nothing that's able to be visibly inspected within reason is obviously wrong. I didn't think after an already long-winded post I'd have to further justify my point by listing all of the things I perform. Guess I was certainly wrong there...

After all the information I gave you including the main reason why I field strip and clean and all you came out of it was I ONLY do a function check? You either didn't read my post correctly, didn't read it at all, or only read what you wanted to read.

Do a function check when you buy a car or a gun.
Don't strip it and waste time and money. It is an obsession with virtually no basis in reality.

And I'm here to tell you right now I've witnessed failure of a gun with injury because the person didn't field strip, clean, and visually inspected the gun before firing for the first time. If you want to go on and think that way, nobody's stopping you. But to come on here and advocate a practice that places safety in the back seat is just plain ignorant and irresponsible.

Why not wipe it down and run a patch through it then anyway?

This was not in the context of the opening post.

Back