Why clean a new gun before shooting it?

But to come on here and advocate a practice that places safety in the back seat is just plain ignorant and irresponsible.
I prefer not to characterize folks with whom I have a reasonable disagreement as ignorant or irresponsible. It's my opinion that this is one of many sacred cows in gun-ville that isn't necessary. As I've said numerous times, I understand completely if that's what folks choose to do. But I am starting to sense a little territorialism in your post, and it's not needed. You see it differently than I do. I don't feel a need to insult you about that.

I prefer not to characterize folks with whom I have a reasonable disagreement as ignorant or irresponsible. It's my opinion that this is one of many sacred cows in gun-ville that isn't necessary. As I've said numerous times, I understand completely if that's what folks choose to do. But I am starting to sense a little territorialism in your post, and it's not needed. You see it differently than I do. I don't feel a need to insult you about that.

No where did I post about my opinion of your race, color, sexual orientation or hygiene. What did do, is attack your statement and your action/inaction thereof. As you have the right to your opine on someone elses', I also have the right in return.

Is isn't exactly a grey area when safety is a concern. As I said before, you can speak your mind on what's safe FOR YOU. The difference was your latter statement was TELLING someone that it's a waste of time for them not to follow your practice.

If it wasn't "important" then I guess what I witnessed was just a dream I made up for the sole reason to argue your case.

An airplane may have many, many flights with a part that isn't safe to use in one mechanic's judgment but is safe in another. Guess that plane is safe then....

....well, until it crashes. Then, I guess it was only unsafe to the ones that suffered. The others that haven't had to experience that can still think otherwise.

I'm done here. It's obviously a waste of time to promote common sense and safety to clean and perform a visual inspection of a firearm before firing the thing...new or used...

Page 29 of my Desert Eagle 44 mag manual

de-clean.jpg

So I'm lying by posting again and posting to stand corrected. Didn't know that was in your manual, zombie. Only way to try and save face on that, if there is, is I should have stated many manufacturers probably wouldn't tell you to first clean and inspect...

Now, I'm done...

I try to clean guns before shooting them, but sometimes have not taken the time to either. And have often had problems with them functioning correctly in some instances.

Hunh... Desert Eagle speaketh the truth of common sense, in print even.

44 mag cylinder on a 357 frame... EEK!

While that may seem spooky, one thought ran through my mind that pretty much renders the Stampede assembly error issue nothing more than drama.
- I'd hope that every single one of you would notice when your 357 round fell right through cylinder and out the front.

I just looked through all four of my S&W manuals that came with new pistols I bought this year.

All four state under: Cleaning and Maintenance: Before using your firearm for the first time, it should be cleaned.

It then goes on to state some of the things that have been said by members that do make it a practice to inspect and clean there firearms before shooting when new or purchased used.

I love it when I'm at the range and some know it all shows up and pulls there brand new pistol out of the protective bag or peels the kraft paper off of it. Gun clearly never so much as inspected, looked at or cleaned. Loads it up and starts making a vapor cloud. I back off the firing line and enjoy the show.

While that may seem spooky, one thought ran through my mind that pretty much renders the Stampede assembly error issue nothing more than drama.
- I'd hope that every single one of you would notice when your 357 round fell right through cylinder and out the front.

Then they didn't test fire it did they? The conversation is supposed to be about pros/cons of cleaning the new gun. The example is to show what kind of things can slip past the QA process. If the wrong cylinder is on the gun you ~may~ possibly find something else that would need attention. It is worth a look just to check.

There's been some thread drift, so to reiterate my original post:
Why not just field strip it, lube it and have at it?

If it's not covered with cosomoline, I don't get the standard recommendation to 'give it a thorough cleaning first'.

If it's dry when you take it out the the box, put a little CLP on the slide rails, lightly oil the barrel exterior and typical wear areas, and shoot it. If the mags are clean, you're good to go.

That's what I think.

What do you think?
So...I suggest field stripping first. I suggest lubing the slide rails, barrel exterior and typical wear areas. By implication, I suggest checking to see if the mags are clean.

The only thing I don't suggest is to 'give it a thorough cleaning first', and even then, 'if it's not covered with cosmoline'.

Somehow, some folks interpret that as 'Don't do anything. Remove from box. Load. Shoot. Period.' And then they proceed to tell me I'm ignorant, unsafe and irresponsible.

That's what's known as a Straw Man...where you make up an argument that I didn't make, then argue against it.

Tuttle, there is no need whatsoever to save face. In fact, quite the opposite. To your credit, you acknowledged that you didn't know something, and corrected yourself. That's a sign of intellectual honesty. Thumbs up.

First, let's keep it civil, folks.

Second, I tend to buy used guns. That's the only way I can get the guns I truly want - models that haven't been manufactured for years.

I always pull them apart and clean them.

That's a habit that carries forward to the new guns that I do purchase.

Over the years I've seen some amazing crap come through in new firearms, from metal chips to what appeared to be polishing compound.

HK USP 45 gunked up

Well, I field-stripped my new HK USP 45 to check/lube yesterday and there was a big glob of grease in the rear of the slide. Definitely needed to be cleaned out of there. Should have taken a photo but didn't.

So yes, it was good that I field-stripped and checked it. Barrel was clean, rest of gun looked good. I did clean off the factory grease and re-lubed with CLP. Now good to go.

...from metal chips to what appears to be polishing compound

Exactly the reason I clean mine before shooting.

I too have found a substance in new guns resembling polishing compound.

Shoot a gun with polishing compound in it and if the compound is on moving parts, your causing premature wear to the gun.

For piece of mind, I'll continue to pre-clean/inspect mine.

I've cleaned out metal chips, machining grit, and packed grease from new guns. The best was a brand new 223 Zastava Mini Mauser. I pushed more than a foot of red grease out of the barrel. I was really glad I cleaned that one before I fired it!

I am amazed such a simple, obvious thread can last this long.
IMHO, the question itself was almost pointless.
And, no, I haven't bothered to read the responses.

You call a thread pointless...buttressed by your admission that you had not bothered to read the replies. Yet you bothered to take the time to reply yourself.

Talk about pointless.

Feel free to simply skip over to a different thread which interests you.

I do, mainly because I don't know what kind of grease/oil they put on at the factory, so i take it off and put on my preferred brand.

I would clean any used guns, because you never know what you might find. Some people really neglect their guns, and then put them up for sale. If it's new, I would just do what you said. Field strip, check barrel oil/lube, and then go to the range.

Back