Why clean a new gun before shooting it?

If it's dry when you take it out the the box, put a little CLP on the slide rails, lightly oil the barrel exterior and typical wear areas, and shoot it. If the mags are clean, you're good to go.

That's what I think.

What do you think?

Greg, I think what you are suggesting sounds entirely reasonable. I also think that half the complaints we hear on this forum come from folks taking the advice to "tear it down and give it a complete cleaning before shooting." I have little doubt that this causes all sorts of problems for newbies.

Seriously, I typically do what you suggest, and in over 35 years of shooting I've never had problems with any firearms caused by not tearing them apart first. But then, I never rack my 1911 slides 500+ times before taking them to the range. :rolleyes: Back to cleaning... is it possible that there's a metal flake inside that I've missed? Sure! But none that could cause any problems. I'm more worried about the subliminal messages printed inside my guns that tell me to buy more.

This is just my opinion. I realize that some of the ideas mentioned earlier are sacred cows to some of our members, and I don't mean to belittle another person's opinion.

Frankly I think some folks are over the top when it comes to gun cleaning. My guns may see a complete cleaning twice a year and there is a 10 to 1 chance that they are put away with only a wipe down after shooting. That being said, some of the dirtiest guns I've ever seen were brand spanking new and I clean new guns up good before shooting.

LK

Greg, I think what you are suggesting sounds entirely reasonable. I also think that half the complaints we hear on this forum come from folks taking the advice to "tear it down and give it a complete cleaning before shooting." I have little doubt that this causes all sorts of problems for newbies.

By that logic, a newbie should never field strip their gun and clean it? I don't advocate "tearing them down", nor do manufacturers, but I do field strip mine and clean them now and then. I've never had a problem from doing this...as a newbie, or with many years of experience. It's just not that hard or complicated.

This is just my opinion. I realize that some of the ideas mentioned earlier are sacred cows to some of our members, and I don't mean to belittle another person's opinion.

No sacred cows. Just the way I do things. I'm certainly not guilty of over-cleaning, but most of the few problems I've had were fixed with a good cleaning. I'm not afraid to get dirty, but afterwards I like a shower to clean up a bit. Likewise, I don't mind using my guns, and they get dirty. It's not that big of a deal to clean a gun once in a while.

Daryl

Just force of habit... I like starting with a clean slate with a new firearm..

I didn't clean my used sig p226 before taking it to the range... but I did field strip it and lube it before I took it out.

Good to "get to know" it. i.e. My new toy, leave me alone!
Helpful in discovering any possible issues (had a Taurus full of blast media once.)
How long ago did they fire that one round at the manufacturer.

First off, as a CZ owner, the gallon of oil comment was very easy to relate to! Plus the oil that came on mine seemed sticky to me, so I cleaned it up well. I think it depends on the weapon and what type of packing grease is on it for me.

It depends on my mood. If I'm planning on shooting my new toy at the store, then I just take a peek down the bore, spray a little Rem Oil on it and shoot it.

I spray a little Rem Oil on it because it's always in my range bag, and I peek down the bore to make sure nothing is obstructing it.

Light amounts of lube, rust inhibitors, water, etc. is irrelevant, most of it gets blown away by expending gases long before the bullet gets to it. You're not going to damage your handguns barrel by not scrubbing it out before shooting it. You will see no loss in accuracy either.

People have all sorts of voodoo rituals they perform on various types of firearms, and that's their right. I don't wish to detract from their enjoyment in the slightest. But don't think that by not following some religious break-in/cleaning procedure that your damaging your firearm, because you're really not in most cases.

How long ago did they fire that one round at the manufacturer.

On the last handgun I bought (G23), the empty brass was dated 6/7/10, and I bought it 7/2/10.

So on this one, less than a month. I still cleaned it; mostly just to wipe out the bore, and look things over.

Daryl

I think cleaning is overrated, but would look it over before firing a new pistol. Some guns, like the DW's, are so closely fitted that a small chip can cause a disaster.

Some folks seem to think they will go to heaven if they clean between each shot! I shoot until there is enough crud to begin having misfires on a range gun, by some accounts the gun will last much longer doing it that way than the clean after every magazine crowd. More wear and tear occurs from cleaning than just about anything else.

When it starts to misfire from crud build up I take the grips off, disassemble it, and put it in an ultrasonic cleaner with Ed's Red. After draining it and blowing it off, lubing a few choice spots, it's good for another 500-1000 rounds.

Coming from a machining/mechanical background, I like to take them apart for an initial cleaning and to take a look at the fit/finish on various parts. Knowing there's no grinding grit/compounds left inside to possibly scratch or permaturely wear internal parts is self assuring to me.
Guess its just become a habit.
IMO, alot of issues stem from not cleaning mags coated with cosmoline or packing oils which tend to be thick.

To each their own!

If I were home I'd probably be posting some of the pictures I've taken over the years because I've found some truly bizarre stuff inside supposedly new-in-box guns that people have brought me to "repair". Aside from the usual suspects such as grit, tailings, and missing parts, I've also found entire extra springs, peanut butter, Styrofoam, what appeared to be chewing gum, and a magnetic screwdriver bit clinging to the inside of a barrel!

You can believe I field strip (or detail strip) pretty much every firearm I buy!

I do a quick and simple field strip and inspect just to be sure the basic parts are as they should be and range worthy.
Its not a cleaning, but just quick check to be sure it doesnt come apart on me.

My CZ was a different story... that thing was a sloppy soaked mess from the get-go.
I took the grips off, field stripped it then chased the goo out with brake cleaner followed up by RemOil.

I've never read this in any manual that came with a new gun, till I bought my Glock 23 a month ago. Didn't do it. Gun shot fine.....:D;):cool:

I always strip down, inspect and fully clean a new or used just bought weapon.

I also clean them every range trip. I do not want fouling and crud attracting moister and putting the rot on my weapons.

Not only do you clean any remaining factory debris from your gun, you lube it and get a look see at its key components before firing it for the first time. I always clean, inspect and lube a new pistol before going shooting with it. I do the same with used guns, only they get a trip to my gunsmith depending upon age for a safety checks as well. It's a good habit to get into.

If it's not covered with cosomoline, I don't get the standard recommendation to 'give it a thorough cleaning firs

Yea, and when you buy a new car or truck just take it out and run the crap out of it. Take it 4-wheeling in the swamp. Pull the heaviest trailer you can find, and load the bed full of firewood to.
Don't ever read an owners manual and follow it's recommendations. After all, the people who build the fine mechanical items you purchase know absolutely nothing of how to care for them!!!
Just how long does it take to do a good cleaning of a new gun? You don't have that much time to invest in a new purchase?

Don't ever read an owners manual and follow it's recommendations. After all, the people who build the fine mechanical items you purchase know absolutely nothing of how to care for them!!!
On what page of your owner's manual does it say to strip and clean your new gun before shooting it?
Just how long does it take to do a good cleaning of a new gun? You don't have that much time to invest in a new purchase?
This post just falls in the "You can't fix stupid" category!!!
I thought you had to be 18 to post here.

After all the explanations, I have to ask why NOT?

On what page of your owner's manual does it say to strip and clean your new gun before shooting it?

Where in the owner's manual states to use common sense?

Back