Why are the Republicans so worried about Ron Paul?

Hunter
Voted YES on prohibiting needle exchange & medical marijuana in DC. (Oct 1999)
Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
Voted YES on allowing reimportation of prescription drugs. (Jul 2003)
Voted YES on small business associations for buying health insurance. (Jun 2003)
Voted YES on capping damages & setting time limits in medical lawsuits. (Mar 2003)
Voted YES on allowing suing HMOs, but under federal rules & limited award. (Aug 2001)
Voted YES on subsidize privat insurance for Medicare Rx drug coverage. (Jun 2000)
Voted YES on banning physician-assisted suicide. (Oct 1999)
Voted YES on establishing tax-exempt Medical Savings Accounts. (Oct 1999)
Voted YES on responsible fatherhood via faith-based organizations. (Nov 1999)

Things that the federal government has no business doing. This is not complete, just all I have time for now.

Hunter
Voted YES on limited prescription drug benefit for Medicare recipients. (Nov 2003)
Voted YES on small business associations for buying health insurance. (Jun 2003)
Voted YES on capping damages & setting time limits in medical lawsuits. (Mar 2003)
Voted YES on allowing suing HMOs, but under federal rules & limited award. (Aug 2001)
Voted YES on subsidize privat insurance for Medicare Rx drug coverage. (Jun 2000)

Things that the federal government has no business doing. This is not complete, just all I have time for now.
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."
John Adams

That may be true, however people voting for Paul would otherwise likely vote for Thompson if Paul was not in the race. Any dilution of the vote helps Guliani as he is the front runner. Thats just statistics 101. Paul in the race makes it harder for Thompson to win.

Thompson voted for the prescription Part D law. which increase the medicare problem by 40%.......conservative what????

Thompson is not a conservative. sorry. thats just logic 101

"I would do essentially what the president's doing in Iraq." (Jun 2007)
great more of the same

Voted YES on favoring 1997 McCain-Feingold overhaul of campaign finance. (Oct 1997)
Voted YES on funding for National Endowment for the Arts. (Aug 1999)
Voted NO on medical savings accounts. (Apr 1996)

no thanks

Hunter

Thats a swell list, but how are any of those failing to uphold the constitution?

And for those concerned, Mr. Paul requested more than 400 million in earmarks including 8 mil for shrimp fishing research. If we are going to make cute little lists, taking taxpayer money from people nationwide and spending it on your district, for shrimp fishing no less, would seem to be a blatant violation of constitutional principles. Of course Paul supporters have no problem with this:rolleyes:

As a whole, Texas gets 94% of its tax dollars back, which does not seem abusive to me.
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/10-09-2007/0004678869&EDATE=
"Using newly released Fiscal Year 2005 spending data from the Census
Bureau's annual Consolidated Federal Funds Report"

Given the current system (until we get more representation for the constitution) it is Paul's current job to get some of that money back for his constituents.
Didn't someone in a previous post criticize Paul for not being pragmatic?

Hunter

Had anyone read those bills? Do we know what's in them?

Titles are often misleading. I wouldn't necessarily hold those votes against Hunter until I knew exactly what was in them. :o

The Ron Paul supporters in New Hampshire are a bunch of loons, hippie anarchist carpetbaggers who moved here and called themselves "free staters". They think that getting arrested and causing confrontations with police is a good way to "protest" things. They've been investigated by the feds for supplying the tax-evading Browns with weapons, they've marched around open-carrying in downtown Manchester with cameras, trying to cause a confrontation with police, (good way for us to LOSE that right) and they tried to get state funds used for a hemp-growing initiative so they'd have cover for their cult of headtrip weed.

They've sure turned off local residents to the guy, that's for sure!

They've been investigated by the feds for supplying the tax-evading Browns with weapons

Wow. All of them?

they've marched around open-carrying in downtown Manchester with cameras, trying to cause a confrontation with police

Specifically, what did they do (besides carrying legally) to try to cause a confrontation?

Four of them. Read the Union-Leader, the local paper, it had a big article on the site. Also, their websites have all sorts of support of and rants about the Ebil Gummint vs. the Browns. We don't need that sort in NH.

Specifically, what did they do (besides carrying legally) to try to cause a confrontation?

Walked around outside a bar downtown and elsewhere, cameras at the ready, just hoping that a police officer would notice their GUN so they could then be noncooperative with the officer, refuse to answer any polite questions, and basically be an instigator hoping to cause a scene. The place they were walking around was apparently right across the street from the Verizon Arena, which often has family events, so I can see why a cop might politely ask them a question...which they did, and the "free state" nuts threw a drama fit on camera and did the "I will not cooperate with you, you're The Man" act. The Manchester cops are nice, they don't deserve the hassle of dealing with those loons. It's all on YouTube, you can see what a dork the anarchist guy and his handlers were being.

Also, they helped derail expanded castle doctrine with a boneheaded stunt a while back, marching into the capitol and declaring weapons as the hearings were going on, one guy turning over like half a dozen. That just gave the antis a bunch of "nuts with guns" to point to to get the governor to kill the bill.

They're basically anarchist loons, and they hype Ron Paul annoyingly everywhere they go. They're turning people off to the guy, whatever merits he might have.

Oh, yeah, if you want to see more, I just found this video on YouTube, too... about halfway through, all these people in a bar, drinking, showing off their guns. Yeah, that REALLY helps responsible gun owners. :rolleyes: There's some Ron Paul shirts, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPjg7gEVEU

So I'm a little disgusted with the "Paul's Disciples", because the ones here are such public nutcases that they're going to get our existing rights to bear arms revoked by the Democrat legislature.

Personally I don't see why Paul is a republican since he does not share many conservative beliefs that the party holds dear. But after all he is a Neo Libertarian and not a true libertarian. A true libertarian would be very much against conservative Republicans like Regan and the religious right. For example Ayn Rand, a follower of the Libertarianism, disliked all conservatives just as much as liberals. She hated Regan and his movement. Ron should either run as a Libertarian or as an independent. Then he would have a voice. And people wonder why the Republicans are trying to silence him.

Personally I don't see why Paul is a republican since he does not share many conservative beliefs that the party holds dear.

you need to back this up!!

What exactly does the current party hold dear?
What ideas of limited Govt does the current party hold dear?
Spending by the GOP has made the Dems of the 1990's look conservative!!

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

please enlighten me on that
he does not share many conservative beliefs that the party holds dear

please let me know because the more I look at the current GOP, the more I realize they have no idea what the concept being a conservative means.

Walked around outside a bar downtown and elsewhere, cameras at the ready, just hoping that a police officer would notice their GUN so they could then be noncooperative with the officer, refuse to answer any polite questions, and basically be an instigator hoping to cause a scene. The place they were walking around was apparently right across the street from the Verizon Arena, which often has family events, so I can see why a cop might politely ask them a question...which they did, and the "free state" nuts threw a drama fit on camera and did the "I will not cooperate with you, you're The Man" act. The Manchester cops are nice, they don't deserve the hassle of dealing with those loons. It's all on YouTube, you can see what a dork the anarchist guy and his handlers were being.

Manchester cops must be pretty restrain. If these people ever tried to open carry and create a hassle like that in any large city in Mass, well then they would have something to complain about after their ass tazed and thrown into jail. :D (Yes, open carry is technically legal in Mass, but pretty much a no no in reality.) Most cops are decent people, even in Mass, and they don not deserve being disrespect by a bunch of crazy delinquents. These people antics are hurting the RKBA movement and will ultimately cause the non gun owning citizens of NH to turn against all gun owners.

A couple of things:

Stage2: I'm sitting here with my handy-dandy copy of the Constitution and I fail to see what is unconstitutional about earmarking money for the shrimp industry. Where I live, shrimping isn't a big issue but along the Texas coast it is a major source of livelihood. One may feel that any earmarking is a bad thing but it isn't unconstitutional.

Arabia: Ron Paul is an 'old style' Republican. He (perhaps foolishly) still holds to the views of Republicans such as Regan and Goldwater. You are correct in that he doesn't fit the present-day pattern of Republicanism but many of us feel that is simply because the party has moved away from its principles and its members.

In any case, all this will be ironed out within a few months and anything we say here will be immaterial.

you need to back this now
What exactly does the current party hold dear?
What ideas of limited Govt does the current party hold dear?
Spending by the GOP has made the Dems of the 1990's look conservative!!

I think you are mistook what I wrote. He should not consider himself a Republican because he is against everything the Republican party stands for today. He stands opposed to the corporate well fare, one world internationalism, and the religious fundamentalism of the current party. Ever since Regan, the party has become more big government, pro internationalism and beholden to special interest. Even though Regan said the opposite he did contribute to the current size of the Federal Government. Conservatism is not Libertarianism, It actually is completely opposite. There is some common ground on economics, but conservatives believe that the Government should protect corporations from the free market, and meddle with the market, while Libertarians believe that the free market has to be free from all Government intervention.

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Exactly why he should not be a Republican, since the party believe strongly in those principles and has since the 1970s. What I am saying he should join the Libertarian party or become an independent. A smart person like him should not be shut up by party bosses who are against everything he strongly believes in.

Back