Who Is Going to Join Me? 22LR Know Your Skills Challenge

@ Jdc - getting consistent 1 inch groups at 100 yards at 100 yards is a very hard thing to do even with high end 22's. When our club was holding rimfire benchrest contests some of the competitors who were using high end custom rifles and Eley Tenex were happy with a 1 inch group.

I like to shoot at 100 for wind practice with my rimfire rifles and if I get consistent 1.5 to 2 inch groups I walk away happy. If I want to just have fun, 25 and 50 yards is where the humble .22 LR shines. Shooting @ 200 yards is just nuts and a 4 - 6 inch vertical spread is my usual

edit @ stapanther, thanks for that link. Now if I can just come up with some way to gently pull the bullets on the stock ammo just a tad for reseating.

- Oh Boy!!! Another rabbithole

Last edited:
@ Jdc - getting consistent 1 inch groups at 100 yards is a very hard thing to do even with high end 22's.

I only shoot 100 yd .22lr on calm days above 50°. Small groups at 100 aren't too difficult under those conditions but actually hitting POA, first couple rounds, is a challenge for me. Got no wind flags or experience and change in atmosphere or ammo will move POI from where I was dialed in last time out.
Shoot black flies at 50yds. Don't approve of killing things just for sport but feel like I'm getting even for their wicked-nasty biting.

4 of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-48-in-Orange-Reflective-Rod/3025196

plus 1 roll of this

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Presco-1-in-x-200-ft-Orange-Flagging-Tape/50146384

less than 20 bucks you can make four flags

works better than any 50 dollar wind flag sold over at bench rest centrel
edit those fancy daisy wheels the BR guys like really do suck, they have a lag when the wind starts and inertia keeps them turning for a few seconds when the wind stops. This tape moves as soon as the wind picks up and drops instantly when it stops

Nice work stagpanther. Taking this little guy to the range to give it a go today.
168022313_2528466924122954_2204568440871051759_n.jpg

I'm convinced firearm and ammo accuracy is best defined by the largest groups fired. They show what happens when all the variables add up.

Smallest groups happen when the variables cancel each other out.

Some of those variables are in what holds the firearm.

If you want to see how much spread 22 rimfire cartridge component's weights effect cartridge weight, after weighing each round, take each cartridge apart and weigh its 3 components; primed case, powder and bullet.

Then decide if sorting rounds by weight is worthwhile.

All day yesterday on a 100 degree day she would get close and I thought ok a nice kiss or whisper sweet nothings and she would whisper -- "You SUCK" or "You need to get it together"

Catching up on this thread. This cracked me up.

I'm jealous your wife shoots with you.

Another great day, this time with the CZ 452, tried some SK Std, SK Rifle Match , the went to some high dollar Fiocchi Exacta Winter and hit paydirt. Shots 16 and 19 looked iffy but the scoring plug shows they nicked the black for a clean sweep of the center row for a score of 90

rifle is a plain jane completely stock cz 452 trainer, Sightron 4 - 12 scope, no name bipod

Attachments

• cz 452.jpg
    cz 452.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2021-06-17-90.jpg
    2021-06-17-90.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 19
rifle is a plain jane completely stock cz 452 trainer, Sightron 4 - 12 scope, no name bipod
If you cleaned the second row with a 4-12 optic I'd call that pretty darn good shooting.
Nice work stagpanther. Taking this little guy to the range to give it a go today
That's one exotic lookin rifle ya got there!
I'm gonna try again another day with my bolt rifle.
What were you shooting?

Can't believe I just bought some 22lr ammo that costs about as much as the last time I bought 9mm.

Last edited:
If you cleaned the second row with a 4-12 optic I'd call that pretty darn good shooting.

That rifle has been a shooter since day 1 but it can be finicky from day to day as to what ammo it shines with. It took 3 tries with different ammos before I found the right combo today. But that same rifle got me in the 250 club over at rimfire central and after I shot this target I shot a 217 on the green monster for the 50 yard sporter class contest

Can't believe I just bought some 22lr ammo that costs about as much as the last time I bought 9mm.

Now that you have gotten the rimfire bug you will find yourself collecting a lot of various flavors of ammo. Like I said in earlier post my CZ's like about all of the SK stuff, Fiocchi Exacta, Lapua Midas +, Wolf, and CCI Std Vel. Different days they will favor one or the other.

By the way which CZ did you order ? They all shoot good but I have been wanting one of those MTRs for a while now. Butt ugly stocks but darn they shoot

Also get yourself a scoring plug, the way the bullet makes a hole it will be slightly smaller than the actual bullet. The bullet tears the paper as it passes through or something. I have scored literally thousands of targets in various local and state competitions and a scoring plug is a must have if you want to track your own improvement

I am pretty sure that would have scored as a hit on that 30 pointer in Revolver Guy's video.

ten bucks on ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283224996913

I couldn't find any "good stuff" you mentioned anywhere, so I bought some on an impulse from the same outfit I bought the CZ 457 jaguar from. 4 boxes of "average stuff" of around 1,200 cartridges cost a painful $350.00.
I selected the Jaguar for the long site radius for shooting with irons--my old eyes can actually do OK with irons once that gets to 28". Another reason I ordered the CZ was I noticed that Lilja makes after-market match grade prefits for them. I get most of my fun in shooting from putting rifles together and developing my own ammo for them--I may seriously look into handloading the 22lr--even with custom components it's probably competitive with the prices of factory stuff.

I'm going to add to my oldfartdom hobby time and try diving into the world of making my own stocks--most of the ones I buy ready-made I end up having to do a lot of work on anyway.

It's really Mr Revolverguy that got me interested in 22's--I love watching his videos and he seems to have the most fun shooting 22lr's.

Last edited:
I selected the Jaguar for the long site radius for shooting with irons--my old eyes can actually do OK with irons once that gets to 28".

CZ makes a pretty rifle, that is a nice one

Another reason I ordered the CZ was I noticed that Lilja makes after-market match grade prefits for them.

my 452's can't be swapped, one reason I have been thinking about a 457. Luckily my 452's had good barrels from the factory. I was embarrassing a buddy who was shooting a couple of benches down with his Anshutz 1710 yesterday. He wanted to know if I was interested in selling the CZ. I offered to trade him straight up, he declined

I was shooting my dedicated 22 build. It could have just been a bad day. I earned my Rifleman's patch with it. I know I can do better than I did yesterday.

The bolt rifle is a Marlin with a 3-9x on it. The AR only has a fixed 4 power. Neither are "premium" or even mid level scopes. I have to shoot within my means.

Good Luck Garand! (might be worth swapping something higher power off one of your big boy rifles).

times 2 , don't know how good your eyes are but that 12 power gave my almost 70 year old eyes a workout yesterday. When I was doing the green monster I had to stop and use some eye drops halfway through

Just came in this morning. I had the area 419 base ready to put on. Trigger is quite stiff so I'll need to adjust that, probably won't get around to setting it up til next week since I'll be working through the weekend.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5135.jpg
    IMG_5135.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 3,195
Nice I like that model, pretty wood too. Should be a tackdriver.

I put a Rifle Basix on my American in the AT1 stock, and did some polishing and changed the spring on my trainers trigger. Nice that they are putting adjustable triggers on the newer models

Gave it the once-through look-over, everything looks great--though I don't quite get why the front fiber is angled down into the sight, it won't "light up" as a result and I can't see it.

After popping the action off I got an even better look, the wooden stock is impeccably executed--one of the best I've ever seen. It includes pillars already installed and machined for the two action screws, and rather interesting there's a recoil lug of sorts fitted to seat the action too--it's positioned at the tail end of the action just aft of the safety--never seen that before. The rifle is robust metal throughout--the one and only concession to mass-produced cheapness I can see is the magazine well fitting which appears to be made of plastic. The only thing I found that is a disappointment is that I could only adjust the trigger down to 2.5 lbs--I was hoping a rifle of this quality niche would have a trigger that would go down to at least 1.5 lb pull.

The precision of the fit of the action to the stock is remarkable--at first I thought that I was going to have to at least widen the foreend channel a bit--the gap between the barrel and stock is very small. Yet it is entirely free floated, a remarkable thing that both the right and left sides of the channel are straight and true relative to the stock wall with such a narrow gap.

Last edited:
Back