Who Is Going to Join Me? 22LR Know Your Skills Challenge

If the circle area were black and the dots white I might try this.
Otherwise I can't see anything with the iron sights I would want to try.

Those are some small dots.
The 26 point target is the same width as a 17 hmr. That's why I think you'll need a reticle with subtensions in order to bracket within the outer circle. I'm going to see if I can even get the middle row done before I try any of the "microdots."

If the circle area were black and the dots white I might try this
Like this? I inverted the colors and will send it to revolverguy if he accepts it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• know-your-skills-challenge-invedrted.jpg
    know-your-skills-challenge-invedrted.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 547
Last edited:
Went out again today for some more rim fire fun, my goal was to see if I could sweep the second row--much to my own amazement I got it on my second try.

attachment.php

However, I'm pretty sure I exceeded the time limit 3 minutes and I did not shoot at exactly 50 yds, so this one can't be submitted.:p

I figure the top row is all but impossible since I can't even see the dots, but what the heck, I'll see how many I can get.:)

Attachments

• IMG_5078.jpg
    IMG_5078.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:
So today I went out and tried going just for the targets on the top row, thinking that I got lucky yesterday, maybe it would go well today too.

It didn't.:rolleyes:

I tried no less than seven times, and most of the targets I couldn't hit any of the top row targets, this was my best result with only two hits:

attachment.php

This next target was my last and things just kept going from bad to worse. But something really weird/interesting happened. I was so miffed that I was missing by a wide margin with each shot I loaded another 5 cartridges before packing up, and without changing a thing sent off 5 quick shots at the middle row and basically swept them (except maybe the first one)--almost easily. The weird part is that I absolutely swear that I shot at the top row with the same concentration and hold that I did for the middle row, even though the reticle obscured the target dot I was pretty sure I still was centering it within the circle. Even without being able to see the dot itself--notice how the POI veered unpredictably from side to side and by a wide margin that is further out than anything in the middle row.

attachment.php

Here is where I step off into the twilight zone--I'm wondering if there is some kind of physiological/ eye object dominance thing that threw my visual processing off lacking the actual center dot to focus on? :eek::eek: Way above my pay grade--maybe a lurker pro comp shooter can confirm (or simply tell me I've smoked too much whacky weed).

Attachments

• IMG_5088.jpg
    IMG_5088.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_5089.jpg
    IMG_5089.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 481
I think part of what you are seeing is why I asked about the black circle white dot target.

Round target (that you can see clearly) with a matching round reticle (or aperture for iron sights) align more naturally. Cross hairs, especially where the cross may cover the "dot" aren't the best for vertical and horizontal centering on a round object.

When I was shooting smallbore competition I never saw anyone use a square aperture to shoot the round targets and none of the higher scores shot post sites. Interchangeable front sights with different sizes of round apertures.

Makes sense, I might try the inverted target to see if that makes any difference. I'm curious how you can actually focus clearly in on the smallest dots without having use of a top-tier scope--I can't even imagine using just irons.

BTW--I'm not entering any of these 17hmr targets (unless revolver guy creates a separate category for them) and will start looking around for a 22lr rifle I can use (though finding ammo I suspect is going to be a bigger problem).

Last edited:
If you have a selection of 22lr ammo, you could get lucky and the gun likes what you have. If you have none, then lots of online dealers have it (maybe) but you won't know if the gun likes it until you shoot some. Now is not the time to start chasing ammo/gun combos. You take what you can get and hope for the best. RF ammo is very similar to reloading components inventories, now it's here, now it's gone.

OK, you got me. This just looks like too much fun to pass up. I just printed out 10 targets and going to the range on Monday.

It 's truly addictive and a ton of fun, the only thing I would add is that I think the top row is impossible without a top-tier, high power scope--but maybe someone will prove me wrong. :)

Today I went out and shot terribly, I could hardly hit ANY of the targets--let alone the top row ones. As reality check at the end I pasted a red dot target up to shoot a group at, normally I'd be happy with something like this but I realize that if you can't consistently group at at least .5 MOA at 50 yds--the going is going to be rough.;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• 17 hmr 51 yds.jpg
    17 hmr 51 yds.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
That is so cool your wife is out joining the fun!

I can't believe I'm actually contemplating yanking one of my top-tier scopes off of a long range rifle and using it to try and knock off that top row--but I'm obsessed with nailing them.:D

Stag

No one asked you to comment it is not cool. All day yesterday on a 100 degree day she would get close and I thought ok a nice kiss or whisper sweet nothings and she would whisper -- "You SUCK" or "You need to get it together"

She comes out with me all the time just never goes on camera to much. Unfortunately with her occupation and the craziness surrounding it.

Please do not encourage her Stag.

Stag

Sir I was only kidding no offense at all.

Yes I am afraid she might whoop me, by the way she does with 22 alot. It's wierd stag.

22LR she beats me consistently
223 I own it
308 I play second fiddle
6.5 I own it

I think it is just a matter of how the rifles fit her.

Again was just kidding sir.

Prone with scope and ammo made in 1979.

X ring is .391 inch.
Awesome!--and this means you're entering the know your skills challenge?;) The smallest target is something like .04":D

Last edited:
Tried a SWFA scope today cause it has a nice thin reticle, but the glass wasn't as clear as the Nikon's so that didn't help. I also tried some 15 and 17 gr ammo --very interesting in that they both were key-holing the targets at 50 yds while the 20 gr xtp's did not. It was a bit windy today but I don't see how it could be knocking the spin of a bullet.

Back