Who Is Going to Join Me? 22LR Know Your Skills Challenge

Come on guys! Don't make me have to start wholesale deleting posts in this thread.

You have completely changed this thread from the contest thread it started out as.

From this point on if the back-and-forth continues between two members, and you know who you are, there will be consequences.

Now - back to the contest, and talk only about that.

I'll be joining soon. Just picked this up on Tuesday, I only have Blazer ammo at the moment, waiting on some packages before I start shooting for tiny circles.

Hmmm, the image isn't posting but here is a link. Its a Christensen Arms Ranger with a Vortex Diamondback 6-24. Long story short I need to start competing again to keep busy, I have too much free time these days and I need to keep out of trouble.

https://imgur.com/a/vdg7sWS

Thanks!! I just got back from the range and had a package of Eley Club and CCI Target ammo waiting for me.

It has not been shooting all that great with Blazer and Thunderbolt (both are just on the supersonic side of the sound barrier if I am doing the math correctly) and at 50 yards I am getting quite a few unexplained flyers. Unfortunately the range I shoot at has rubberized tunnels on each shooting lane that you have to shoot through, so reading the wind gets a little difficult since all you can see from the bench is your target.

I'll give the challenge a shot tomorrow with the Eley and CCI. I've still got some Norma on the way.
At the very least I'll put up a range report ;)

Well, I put more than 5 rounds on the target, and it was humbling. I have been out of the precision games for about ten years and it shows. Also shown is the first of my ammo tests (all 5 shot groups at 50) and a 100 yard target with Eley Club. I still have some Norma precision and some Aguila match on the way. I'm the weak link at the moment, and I need to get to a range where its easier to make wind calls, but overall I'm pretty happy so far.

I can see the smallest of the dots at 16X, but when I go higher than that I just can't seem to hold on target and my groups get a lot bigger.

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 18
  • image8.jpeg
    image8.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 19
You'll get the hang of it and as the barrel fouls a bit and you find the ammo it likes better it will come together much better--you'll see. ;)

Gave it another crack today after a layoff of a few weeks, still can't close the deal on the top row but did (barely) get a 4 shot repeat for 108 points, and this time I'm sure it was within 3 minutes though didn't have an actual recorder. I ran out of the RWS R50 and tried tenex and ely pistol match, no problem sweeping the two lower rows with either of them--I couldn't match the RWS ammo on the top row with them.

attachment.php

I have no idea why--but the biggest dot on the top row is always the hardest one for me to hit--in fact I usually miss it by a wider margin than any of the other ones.

Attachments

• IMG_554722lr.jpg
    IMG_554722lr.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It shoots really well in my CZ 457--but the RWS R 50 is slightly better, and it's usually in stock someplace (probably because it's one of the most expensive).

It's kinda funny--just out of curiosity I took a look at Charlie Irby's winning 130 point target--His biggest variations from centerpoint of the target dots are the two biggest ones on the top row--just like I usually get. I thought maybe I was drinking too much Irish whiskey lately.

Took a week off from the range, still having a rough time with the wind. No rimfire challenge target today, but I did manage to impress myself with this 5 shot group at 100 yards with Eley Tenex. I was looking at a 6.2" drop from 50 yards to 100.

attachment.php

At 50 yards, Aguila, CCI Target, Norma, Lapua, Eley Club and Tenex all group about the same, the groups open up significantly at 100 yards.

Attachments

• image0 2.jpeg
    image0 2.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 72
Interesting. Wish I lived closer to the range.

I didnt notice it in the rules, but do all 5 shots have to be in the same row??

Back