Where can I obtain a Winchester 1892 Mare's Leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been several Mares Leg sightings since the Wanted... series ended:

Here are some I know about:

1968 - Once Upon a Time in the West

1993-1994 - The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

1998-2000 - Magnificent Seven TV series

2002-2003 - Firefly TV series

2009 - Zombieland

Battlefield4 - Video Game

By the way... the firearms used in Firefly look like the studio raided the LAPD Evidence Room! :D

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Firefly

Aguila,

I think we need to give the youngsters a break on that one!

I doubt people our age are editing those Wiki's. Many of the younger crowd weren't even around when stainless handguns came on the market... and all but eliminated the need for nickel plated handguns. Which I believe is the case for the stock photo they used.

update... I just looked at the article, and the photo caption actually says "Nickel Plated" So, whoever wrote the heading didn't read the caption... it's a team effort! ;)

To paraphrase a popular character... "Shiny is as Shiny Does!" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
DPris said....And that's enough justification to own one right there.

I agree. Ultimately it's about fun. That's why I bought the little Henry ML in 22LR. I don't regret the purchase if it sounded like that above.

Help request...

I've been trying to find the ability to quote from previous posts.

FAQ says I need to use the "Quick Reply" button at the bottom of each post.

My screen view does not show those buttons... I only see the "Post Reply" button at the bottom of the entire thread.

I checked my profile settings to see if there was a setting... no joy!

Please point me to the secret decoder ring. ;)

CavScout182 said:
Aguila,

I think we need to give the youngsters a break on that one!

I doubt people our age are editing those Wiki's. Many of the younger crowd weren't even around when stainless handguns came on the market... and all but eliminated the need for nickel plated handguns. Which I believe is the case for the stock photo they used.

update... I just looked at the article, and the photo caption actually says "Nickel Plated" So, whoever wrote the heading didn't read the caption... it's a team effort!
I was reading their list, not looking at photos.

My point was that "M1911A1" is a designation that applies only to the 1911s that were issued to our military, and those were either blued (WW1) or Parkerized (WW2). There is no such thing as a stainless M1911A1, and if it's nickel plated, it may or may not have been a military M1911A1 at the time it was made.

I'm thinking again that the editors are quite probably using a more generic version of 1911 or 1911A1. Any pistol following that JMB design being defined as one of the two versions.

We are obsessive about details we know that define the differences between the US issue 45's... and all the rest!

I was issued 1911A1's during my 3 years as an MP at Fort Ord in the 70's.
I was issued one again as a Cavalry Scout Driver in the National Guard.
And, I shot one as a team member in State competition.

I also had a near mint US issue 1911 mfg in 1918.

I'm also aware of the time difference between checkered controls and serrated controls.

Like I said... I'm obsessive! :D

Ironically, I was never issued an M9, never fired one, and never desired one. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BikerPaul2.jpg
    BikerPaul2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 14
CavScout,

Great images of Steve McQueen, and I loved "Wanted Dead or Alive", but this just reaffirms my opinion that the Mare's Leg is the worst of two worlds, can't be aimed like a pistol, can't be aimed like a rifle.

As a toy, go nuts, have fun. I am sure with enough ammo spent on instinct shooting training it could serve a purpose other than being a Dremeled abomination of a nice carbine. Not my own personal fascination. I tried to like it in .22 kit...couldn't make it.

NOW...Lucas McCain had a weapon!!

That's OK ;)

It's not the only odd man out choice I've made!

1) my first deer rifle - 1963 Winchester 94, .32 Win Special (still have it!)
2) Winchester 1885 Short hunter - 38-55 (try finding ammo other than Win Super-X)
3) S&W Model 632 - .327 Federal Magnum ( despised more than the Mares Leg!)
4) Still have a Clam Shell holster for my K-38
5) Most of my reloading and bullet casting equipment is Lyman

And I'm sure I have other less desirable examples. :rolleyes:

Regarding the Rossi - Not that you would want to... but you can...
RanchHand.jpg

Cheek hold:
MaresLegRangetest002.jpg

Again- The Rossi can be aimed like a handgun & can be aimed like a rifle.
Just not as easily, in either case. :)
Denis

Dennis -

In your second photo (that's you, is it not? I didn't know you're a southpaw), it looks like you have the bottom of the buttstock planted against your collar bone. Is that just an optical illusion?

Nope, both of my camo patrol caps have half-nude WWII nose art pins all over them & I can't show those in family magazines or on family forums. :)
Does look a bit like me in profile, though.

When I wrote up the Chiappa years ago I explored various methods of use & the article showed a couple.

The Chiappa & Ranch Hand can be rested against the cheek (not recommended in a heavy recoiler), rested against the shoulder, held out front one-handed (if you've got enough arm & wrist strength), held out front two-handed in an unsupported "rifle" hold, and held out front two-handed in a hands-together handgun hold, all using the sights.

Or fired from the hip, obviously without sights.

The Henry .45 ML here can be fired from the shoulder, but you need to make sure you keep your eyeball and/or glasses back away from the bolt if you also cycle the lever from the shoulder.
It is waaaaay too heavy to shoot well one-handed, though.

That one may not remain an ML.
It is demanding in no uncertain terms to be SBR'd, and I don't know how much longer I'll be able to resist.
Denis

I recall an article in American Rifleman which quoted Steve McQueen-who was something of a gun guy-as saying the one time he fired his live it kicked like a mule and he couldn't hit anything with it. Hopefully he used 44s and not the 45-70 rounds he carried in his belt. Like the Buntline Special and the Rifleman's rifle it created a distinct persona and nice tie-in merchandise for the kiddies.

On the same theme of Hollywood inspired shootin' irons and tactics that have no recorded evidence of actual use...

There was the rapid fire fanned revolver that hit every mark.

During that period in the 50's, my most cherished shootin' iron to take to the field (rancher's field across the street from my house)... was a Mattel Fanner 50!

http://www.guns.com/2011/08/19/the-...ner-50-americas-most-collectible-toy-cap-gun/

We all know that is no way to operate a SA revolver, and if we tried, we would never hit anything intended.... BUT IT IS FUN! :rolleyes:

The great Ed McGivern is the only one I know of that accomplished accurate rapid fire by fanning. He held the revolver laid outward, and the butt anchored on his hip to succeed with his typical playing card perforation.

Otherwise, Ed thought it was a useless function!

Of course, city neighborhoods would freak today if they saw kids playing with cap guns the way we used to "to burn off energy". :eek:

SpareMag,

I found a way to not go through boxes of ammo to train on point shooting...
I got one of those brass cartridge shaped laser bore-sights for .45 Colt.

Since the affordable version I got is a constant-on unit, I discovered I need to take an extended blink at the moment of aiming. Otherwise, the mind will "adjust for errors" and bring the dot to target.

I only need a supply of tiny watch batteries... a bargain these days compared to loaded ammo! ;)

CavScout182 That's OK

It's not the only odd man out choice I've made!

1) my first deer rifle - 1963 Winchester 94, .32 Win Special (still have it!)
2) Winchester 1885 Short hunter - 38-55 (try finding ammo other than Win Super-X)
3) S&W Model 632 - .327 Federal Magnum ( despised more than the Mares Leg!)
4) Still have a Clam Shell holster for my K-38
5) Most of my reloading and bullet casting equipment is Lyman

And I'm sure I have other less desirable examples.

hey i have one of those 632 .327 magnums! i have the 632-2. They are actually highly desired now and in great demand and command high prices.

heyjoe,

I have the Comp Pro in black. I've only fired 2-3 cylinders through it, and have it stashed since they went off the market. Yes, the GB sales are enticing! :)

I never understood why it got such a bashing on the various forums. Many of us were hoping for a Carbine chambered in the round!

Hot loading 32-20 is not a safe option... if any of those rounds find their way into vintage iron, the results could be catastrophic! :eek:

Same reason I don't have any modern 45-70 ammo here. When I'm gone, somebody might try to use it in my 1886 mfg .45 Springfield Cavalry Carbine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back