Where can I obtain a Winchester 1892 Mare's Leg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when Rossi faced a law suite and the Ranch Hand almost never happened. A gunsmith in Fort Wayne, Ind., has filed a lawsuit claiming Taurus basically swiped the Ranch Hand Mare's Leg pistol design from him. Many thought it could be the end of the Ranch Hand from Taurus, The local gun maker said Taurus was pricing the Ranch Hand at one-third of his price. He complained that getting undercut like that on price would ruin his business.
Now both Chiappa and Henry also make the mares leg at twice the price of the Rossi.

skizzums said:
the rossi is an actual re-production of the Rifleman's, ...
The Rifleman (Chuck Conners) used a full-length rifle with an oversized lever loop. The Mare's Leg was carried by Josh Randall, bounty hunter played by Steve McQueen, in Wanted Dead or Alive. The Rossi is not an accurate copy of the television Mare's Leg -- the Rossi has a longer barrel and a slightly longer butt stock.

Last edited:
Depends the year of the series...the appearance of it changed for 2ND SEASON it was broadcasted.

Last edited:
A lone gunsmith in Fort Wayne, Ind., has filed a lawsuit claiming Taurus basically swiped the Ranch Hand Mare's ... swiped the Ranch Hand Mare's Leg pistol ...

That was over 5 years ago.
What I was able to find is that the owner of JB Custom was suing Taurus for "Trademark infringement"
James Buchanan had been making Mare's Let style pistols since 2006 and two years before Taurus brought out its Mare's leg he filed and received a federal trademark on the name.
The lawsuit is over trade "dress" infringement not trademark infringement what ever that means.
For a design that is over 50 years old. Sounds like another stupid lawsuit.
I looked this up because having lived in Fort Wayne for over 35 years and having worked in several gun shops I have never heard of JB Custom
His web shows a beautiful mares leg with a octagon barrel. Its a 30-30 with a 10.5 inch barrel and only holds 3 rounds.
1,695$
Below it states that "This product was added to our catalog on Friday 10 dec 2010."

Trade dress infringement
The description has to do with physical appearance and shape and design labeled or presented, promoted or advertised.
The infringement is when the trade dress of two companies is sufficiently similar to cause confusion among consumers.

I bought a Rossi 357 I liked the TV show also. I loaded mine went to my home range . Shot it dry. Decided Randell would have died . 1 time out unless he was a back shooter. I returned to dealer and traded. for a real pistol I could carry and hit with. Have no desire to have another. I'll take a Winchester 16" Carbine in 44 mag thank you. That a good lever gun. For all around use.

Several years ago, probably in the 90s, at the Ohio Gun Collectors Show in
Cleveland, Ohio there was a guy set up with a documented Mares Leg from
the actual TV show. I didn't pay much attention to it, it may have been
modified so as not to fire real ammo. Although a real cut down 92, prop guns
are just that.

I went looking for some photos from the show and found one I consider humorous. Steve fanning one, that had to hurt the hand.
And a recent photo of the documented real one or one of.

Attachments

• Dead or alive.jpg
    Dead or alive.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 57
  • wanted dead or alive 2.jpg
    wanted dead or alive 2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 54
Hello...

Arriving late, but since this thread has been idle for a year... I thought I would give it a bump! ;)

I was one of those that watched the original series.. in my case I was 9-12 years old during its 3 year run. I was also just getting into "real" guns during that time.

At age 10, I got a Remington Model 510 .22 Single shot (I still have it!), and at age 12 I got a Revelation (Western Auto - Marlin) .22 bolt action repeater.

Like all kids in our time, we played out Cowboy fantasies, inspired by our favorite TV heroes. I never had a toy version of the Mares Leg... settling for a "Fanner 50" :D

In the early 90's, I got into Cowboy Action Shooting, and got to relive those childhood fantasies... only this time... no toy guns! :rolleyes:

Fast forward to the first Mares Legs on the open market. First problem was at a price of $1200-$1400 for the custom offerings, they were way out of my budget. Second problem, the first production units just didn't look right... with their 12" barrels and 24" overall length, they looked more like a Trapper with the buttstock bobbed off.

Then Chiappa released a 9" barrel version and 21" overall length. While not quite the original 19" OAL... it was close enough for me!

The prices dipped briefly about a year ago... so I was able to get a new one in .45 Colt for $720!

The large lever loop is odd shaped compared to the originals, but Rio Bravo and Puma Bounty Hunter style levers are available as after market swaps.

Using the back of my left wrist as a forearm rest allows me to hit my spinners as readily as with my Uberti Schofield, using a Weaver/Isosceles grip.

Is it better than a Revolver?... No!
Is it better than a Carbine?... No!

Is it more fun, and "Warm and Fuzzy Feeling" inducing?... YOU BET!:p

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/824

http://chiappafirearms.com/product/2742

OK, question. Which is dumber, people who believe Hollywood hokum or people who waste time arguing about it?

Jim

It was my first post to this group!

I was responding to the thread title... "Where to obtain a..."

I gave an introductory story about why I was interested in this thread.

I briefly mentioned my experience with a specific variation of the firearm in the thread title.

I posted two links for variations of the firearm in the thread title, not previously discussed in this thread.

I spent 30 years working for the US Military... from Viet Nam in 1966 to Bradley crew training as a Cavalry Scout Section Leader in 1996, when I retired.

During my time, I also visited Japan, Philippines, Okinawa, Formosa, Hong Kong, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, and Alaska.

Reliving the "Fun Times" of my childhood in the 50's is my mental escape from the harsh realities of adulthood.

Firearms have been an integral part of my life from the Junior NRA in school... through duty years... and continues into my retirement years.

I may be a hopeless, sentimental old fool... but I do not consider myself as DUMB! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back