When you can't carry, less than lethal options

Flash-smash and dash!

To add to G. Meyer's and Kathy Jackson's comments, A good solid and bright flashlight with some basic training will go a long way as non-lethal force defensive tool.

http://www.brite-strike.com/BlueDot.html

I receive no benefit from the aforementioned company but I do have one of their flashlights and have reviewed their "FLASH-SMASH AND DASH" defensive program. I think the concept is sound. I have also traveled on a few inter-continental flights with the Brite-Strike in my pocket.....no questions asked.

They are not inexpensive but they are exceptionally bright and well built. Mine is the 190 lumens model. They have striking faces on both ends that are guaranteed to be DNA collectors if you have to make contact with a bad guy.

"If a person pulls their belt off,,,
And starts swinging it slowly near their hip,,,
You best drop your pen and find a pistol somewhere,,,
Chances are you won't be able to get close enough to stab them."

The point of the thread is that there are no pistols near by.

PM sent by the way.

This is just a risk analysis of the big cowboy belt. I apologize for such silliness.

One of my good friends is a true blue Texan. So he dresses in such duds. When traveling he wore a cowboy shirt, a big belt buckle, leather boots and a shark's tooth necklace. That would look Cowboy here in San Antonio.

So he goes for business to San Francisco. When he lands in the airport, till he gets to the hotel - many people in that village want to be his special friend. Now if one of those people got fresh and he took off his belt to defend himself - would that be taken as a threat or what?

I'm so sorry. It's a true story - we still crack up about it.

About the flashlight - yep, at the NTI we were given revolvers with uknown loads (couldn't check) to navigate a shoot house that had mechanical dummies that could pop out at your and stationary ones. In one instance, out of ammo - I bopped it with a Surefire.

I'll bet he didn't use the buckle end on you though.

Um he did worse than that, he was an achoholic and when drunk would hurt us if we did something he viewed as wrong. His Dad whupped him with a razor strap till he bled so we got the same if we got out of line to far. Had him grab me with his fingers inside my mouth, he pulled and ripped the inside of my left cheek wide open, I went into the bathroom bleeding him hitting me on the back of my head telling me I better not cry... at 15 that all changed.

I dont whup my kid, ever. Please dont take this wrong but not knowing me and how I was raised, it would be hard to tell what punishments were handed out. Dad is gone and it is all a bad memory.

I still wouldnt use my belt in a fight.

Your translation is spot on. Now try to pronounce it properly. :eek:

I am not an Irish Ranger though. Just a former US Army engineer. lol
That saying is engraved on a knife that has been handed down through my family that came from Ireland with my grandfather when he moved here.

The saying came from an old poem written about Na Fianna (The Warriors) who were the major players in the 1916 uprising.

But anyways, back to the topic at hand. :D

Your translation is spot on. Now try to pronounce it properly.

Ah me kind uncle ben spoke gaelic he was from the emerald isle himself :) Mom and Grandma are Irish. I might be able to pronounce it but then who is able to tell me I got it wrong? :)

Irish rangers trained here with the army rangers, they are the elite soldiers over there. Look em up and see the deeds done by them.

I have thrown a steel toed boot at a guy, does this count as a non leathal weapon?

I was sitting on a long wood bench at a long wood table playing cards when one guy accused me of something, maybe I farted I cant recall, he got up and pulled a knife, I got up and picked up that bench and ended that fight. Anything can be a weapon. Well except for my belt...

Hello markj,,,

Anything can be a weapon. Well except for my belt...

Okay, now you're just baiting me,,, ;)

But it's all good my friend,,, :)
At least we know similar martial arts.

You showed virtuosity in one-flung-bench,,,
I once tried flung-bar-stool.

Aarond

My My!

Just had to join this forum, kinda interesting. I've had a little practice over the years and my thinking is kinda simple. I learned to improvise and hands feet plus the rest of your body work, just learn how. Proper mindset and a knowledge of basic down and dirty street fighting with or without anything handy works for me. A belt is a great weapon, I go for a hickory cane or walking stick, legal anywhere just learn to use it but depend on no quarter attack. If you can't kill or blind another person give up. You don't need to be young, strong, armed to the teeth just committed and realize it ain't a game, the loser don't go home. The military taught some of us to fight, some did and some didn't. If you have been in combat and possibly hand to hand and are reading this you learned something. Those that haven't rely on mindset and simple basic rules such as if it is illegal in any contact sport, wrestling, MMA, boxing etc then that's what you learn to use:D

Okay, now you're just baiting me,,,

But it's all good my friend,,,
At least we know similar martial arts.

Nah my pants would fall down showing why they called me "drip dry" (to short to shake) I would be embarresed to no end and would find myself running off crying like a little girly man. :) so I dont take my belt off unless suspenders are on.

I had a dude hit me with one of them rodeo belt buckles and it hurt real bad. I may still have a mark from that one. Bar fights used to be ugly and I was always in the middle trying to break it up as it was my job.

Now you need to explain "I once tried flung-bar-stool." :) them things can hurt a fella.

Yes,i carry a few knives with or without a gun.

But if you mean,say,a courthouse or a non-carry state,etc,then a little can of brake cleaner will work wonders if that hits somebodys face.

Uh, he did worse than that.

Sorry you had to deal with that kind of abuse. I see why you don't whip your kids. We had a 10 year old girl killed in our state recently, or at least died from neglect. You may have heard of Zahra Baker in Hickory, NC. Cancer victim, had lost a leg before coming here from Australia. Suffered terrible abuse. Find more on Google.

Several people have mentioned canes for self defense, and added that you need training. Where would you get training to use a cane for self defense? Would a self-defense course cover this?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Providence

Where would you get training to use a cane for self defense? Would a self-defense course cover this?

Look around at the Martial Arts clubs where you live and check if they teach "French Savate" fighting, if they say I think so?, then hang up, and check the next listing. Its not a widely taught martial art.

Cane companies I can recommend:

Americancane

Cane Masters

I'm sure there are lots more, but I've handled products from both of those places and found them very sturdy and durable. They ain't your grandma's dimestore cane.

The Cane Masters website features links to recommended dojos and schools. Also, the "offset T" design on some Americancane products closely mimics the shape and function of a PR-24 baton familiar to police officers.

pax

Back