When you can't carry, less than lethal options

Apparently, something described as a "tactical pen" was confiscated by the TSA...although I've seen them confiscate airsoft speed-loaders (clear plastic, but in the general shape of an M9 magazine)...:confused:
(http://www.tsa.gov/who_we_are/workforce/workforce_stories/catch_100110.shtm)

Yet, screwdrivers less than or equal to 7 inches in length are allowed, as are "Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches." I'd imagine either of those could be put to darn effective use in defending one's self.

As has been mentioned, a roll of nickels or quarters (depending on hand size) work VERY well. No cop is going to seize a roll of coins. One of my uncle's used them when he was in the Navy and he said they were quite effective.

A few tidbits though as to proper use.

1. Unlike brass knuckles, DO NOT strike bone. You will break your hand. So go for softer areas on the body.
2. You are able to deliver significantly more energy and can easily cause substantial damage. Broken ribs and internal bleeding are easily possible. If you hit someone with the roll, you better intend to hurt them and be justified in doing so.
3. Even if you are careful, there is still a chance of breaking your hand.

"""Yet, screwdrivers less than or equal to 7 inches in length are allowed, as are "Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches." I'd imagine either of those could be put to darn effective use in defending one's self."""

tactical-scissors.jpg

HAHAHAHAHA

But really, a pair of scissors is perfectly viable option for self defense if you are going on a airliner.

Or even a fingernail file such as this one, put in a case that looks like a personal hygiene kit, should make it pass the screening.

stock-photo-nail-file-isolated-on-white-47057080.jpg

"""Yet, screwdrivers less than or equal to 7 inches in length are allowed, as are "Scissors - metal with pointed tips and blades shorter than four inches." I'd imagine either of those could be put to darn effective use in defending one's self."""
That reminds me, I work in county jails on telephone and CCTV camera systems. I get to carry all sorts of pointy stuff into jails no questions asked. Electrician scissors, Various boxcutters, hammers then add all the little sharp screwdrivers, sharp enough to open packaging, I carry around for the baluns and surface jacks.

Interesting job.

I don't plan on hitting the BG with my fist, holding the roll of quarters. I plan to drop them in a sock and hit him that way, like a flail.

I don't plan on hitting the BG with my fist, holding the roll of quarters. I plan to drop them in a sock and hit him that way, like a flail.
Always think about plausible deniability. Make sure to drop some loose coins in the sock too. Then, if stopped, you can tell the cop that it's just your coin bag. You just happen to have two full rolls of quarters in it in addition to your lose change.

Always think plausible deniability.

Good thinking but this scenario would be if I were on a plane & someone attempted a hijacking or other major mayhem. I'm not very concerned then about it looking like an innocent object turned into a weapon. That would be more an issue if I carried such things in the truck. Then, I would simply use a drawstring coin bag with coins as you suggested.

After the investigation of an airplane terrorist incident you won't be able to deny Jack Squat. In fact, you look nuts with the potato and rolls of quarters. Better for a common place but sturdy pen and a good flashlight.

The thought of an attack of TFL'ers waving nail files and swinging cowboy belts as their pants fall off - :rolleyes:

Like someone else said, if the highjackers don't feel threatened, they will at least be distracted and laughing at our pants falling, giving us a window of opportunity. :D

The thought of an attack of TFL'ers waving nail files and swinging cowboy belts as their pants fall off -

Plus, the attacker's faces will be really, really clean and smell lemony-alcohol-fresh!

pax

The simplest and most useful, I think, is learn how to throw a proper punch. Pretty much everyone has the strength to to stun someone with a correct punch. Problem is, not a whole lot of people know how. A grown man should be able to break anyone's jaw with a clean punch. you should also know how to do an open-handed throat strike. Both of these are easy to learn and can be practiced anywhere.

Apparently, something described as a "tactical pen" was confiscated by the TSA...although I've seen them confiscate airsoft speed-loaders (clear plastic, but in the general shape of an M9 magazine)...
(http://www.tsa.gov/who_we_are/workfo...ch_100110.shtm)

I shy away from "tactical pens" for that reason, but have found the Zebra
F-701 pen to be just as sturdy as most of them and seems to fly under the radar of security checks.

It's actually a really nice pen too, which isn't something you can say about all the tactical pens.

In fact, you look nuts with the potato and rolls of quarters.

Who said a thing about a potato? Not me. How would I look nuts with a roll of quarters? If I hit a terrorist with a roll of quarters in a sock, I haven't risked further injury to my already stiff & aching hands. And maybe I/we kept someone from crashing the plane in a suicide attack. Maybe someone you love was on the flight. Maybe your city was a target of the terrorist.

I am amazed,,,

The thought of an attack of TFL'ers waving nail files and swinging cowboy belts as their pants fall off

Really people, I mean Sheesh!
Have any of you ever been in an actual fight? :eek:

You carry your tactical pens or any some such tool,,,
I will stick with my belt and buckle because I've seen what they can do.

I (or anyone) can get that belt off pretty danged quick,,,
Then try and get close enough to stab me (or anyone) with a pen.

I have a gray belt in Tae Kwon Do,,,
It took 6 years to get it with the last year in Korea,,,
Mr. Chan (my instructor) would only teach us two weapons,,,
He said why learn to use a weapon you will never have with you?

Lots of people in the U.S. use a cane,,,
Almost every man (and women) in the U.S. wears a belt,,,
And even the weight of a small dress belt buckle will do considerable damage.

For you doubters out there,,,
Hit yourself on the back of the hand,,,
You will find that it hurts more than a little bit.

And you don't flail it around your head,,, :rolleyes:
You keep it close to your body and whip it forward,,,
You only need about 14 to 18 inches of length to stay out of reach.

I'm not saying a pen or nail file isn't an effective weapon,,,
I once saw a German sailor almost kill a Philippine hood with a pocket comb.

What I am saying is,,,
If a person pulls their belt off,,,
And starts swinging it slowly near their hip,,,
You best drop your pen and find a pistol somewhere,,,
Chances are you won't be able to get close enough to stab them.

And as for plausible deniability,,,
"Well gee your Honor, I always wear a belt. Don't you?"

Aarond

Back