When you can't carry, less than lethal options

atlctyslkr

There are some places where I go where firearms (weapons) are prohibited. If it's a place where I know there are no metal detectors I sometimes carry a small knife or pepper spray. I figure it's better than nothing and I may be less likely to prosecuted for it. Anyone else do this?

A knife is lethal force, not less than lethal.

The first and best thing you can carry is your brain. I'm not being flippant here: your best less than lethal option is to get training in how to use your hands and the world around you to defend yourself. Viewing websites, reading books and magazines, watching videos -- all okay, but far inferior to getting some hands-on work with qualified people. It doesn't take years of martial arts training in order to get just a few simple techniques you can use in a variety of situations. Add to that a determination to stay alert and aware (and again, a little training in what to look for and some ideas for how to avoid trouble or de-escalate it if it starts) and you'll be in good shape.

Pepper spray can be an excellent tool, but too many people carry it without training in what it can do and how to use it most effectively. It's not a panacea, it doesn't work on every attacker, and it doesn't always incapacitate quickly. In addition to all that, people who don't know how their own personal bodies respond to the stuff probably should not carry it, since it's pretty much a given that you'll be exposed to it too when you use it. Can you fight through its effects? How do you know? Again, training makes a big difference here.

On airplanes and in other very non-permissive environments, you have lots of options if you know what to look for. If you have just a little training in short-stick techniques, for example, you can use a simple ballpoint pen to great effect. Without that training, a pen is just a pen.

There really isn't a gadget you can carry that takes the place of training. But with just a little knowledge, a lot of ordinary items can be used to defend yourself.

pax

Except for airports, most places alllow some sort of knife. It's not as good as a gun or tazer/OC, but with some training it can be effective. After that, you would probably need to go with well-built flashlights or some such thing.

Edit: I realize using a knife is "lethal force." However, smaller knives tend to qualify as tools under the law. Check your local laws and policies if you are unsure of what exactly qualifies as a weapon. Therefore, it is possible to carry a lethal force option without carrying a concealed weapon (since it would only be considered a weapon if it was used as such). If anyone was confused, I apologize.

Last edited:
Yup, like a Kubotan - not a full size baton. One nice thing about Kubotan techniques is that they work really well with small flashlights as well as pens, screwdrivers, silverware, and other common items.

When flying, I always toss a (non-tactical, non-scary looking) small flashlight into my carry on, and put it into my pocket when I get on board. It's useful in about a dozen different ways, including as an improvised weapon. And it might even help save your life if you ever need to evacuate a smoke-filled plane.

pax

I found that SW pen is a touch large for most shirt pockets. Check out it's measurements. I have a very sturdy automatic pencil that serves. Anyway, the SW pen vanished into the void. Left it on my desk at work and the next day - :mad:

I also take a Surefire in my carry on when I fly. I avoid the tactical edge types.

At work I carry a Surefire and it's been very useful as a flashlight. I also used it to bop an automated dummy at the NTI when they gave us only three rounds! Surprise. Wasn't the best solution - we were supposed to pick up the tennis racket. But you get fixated on what you carry.

besides my carry gun, i always have a folding knife (kershaw blur) in my front pants pocket and a 5" ka-bar fixed blade in my boot. for airports and gov't buildings i put a paradise carbon fiber ball point in my front pants pocket.
as others have stated already, the tool is useless without proper training. what to do with the tool needs to be second nature, just like a concealed carry weapon.
jmho

A little can of OC spray is my "NJ Carry." It's far from ideal, but it's better than nothing. I used a few up for practice when I started carrying it, to determine point of aim and whatnot- whatever failings pepper spray has, it's not prohibitively expensive to practice with every once in a while (and keeps pest critters off of whatever I practice on). When I'm carry-legal I leave the spray in the car.

1. push-button expandable club.
2. stun gun / taser
3. pepper spray
4. tear gas pen
5. brass knuckles
6. air horn
7. replica gun
8. unloaded gun

Some of those might be lethal.....some of those might even be lethal to the person who uses them for self defense, but I think this answers the OP's question.

I always kept a spike kubaton on my key ring. It used to be black now it is a worn gray spike and I will never get rid of it. Its a great striking tool always at hand when your keys are at hand, which if not paying attention is usually a good oportunity for a dirtbag to move in. Heck if you have too many keys like I do the kubaton then also makes a handle for quite a formidable flail.:D

In February 2002,,,

I had to fly to Boston,,,
I was nervous about getting on a plane.

Then I remembered I always had a fairly effective close-up weapon,,,
My 2" leather belt with a big heavy oval trophy buckle.

I think I would rather have it than a knife,,,
I just replaced the snaps with rivets.

Aarond

Then I remembered I always had a fairly effective close-up weapon,,,
My 2" leather belt with a big heavy oval trophy buckle.

And if all else fails your assailant might laugh themselves to death when they see you standing there with your pants around your ankles and swinging your belt :)

FWIW I always have a multitool clipped to my belt. I doubt I'd bother trying to get that small non-locking blade out in an emergency but it makes for a good hand weight and sticks out from my hand enough to be used in the same way as a kubaton. One other advantage is that since it's something I have to reach for daily I know I can get to it quickly and without looking.

Back