What's Your Favorite Firearm Myth?

ballardw wrote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post
Even though I agree that "light bullets can run into trouble."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Brush Buster Myth"

"A heavy round nose bullet will make it through the brush better than a spitzer (pointed) bullet."

Having had .308 bullets keyhole at about 50 (yes 5 and one zero) yards from hitting a not even woody weed I can sure see where that got started.

Yes, I read some tests on this myth.
Seems there is just enough truth in it to keep perpetuating this myth.

Tests I saw were with 1/4" soft wood dowels
set up 10 yards in front of a large target at 50 yards.
All cartridges and ammo below .375 caliber;
regardless of bullet shape, weight or velocity failed to even hit target.
Frustrated, they finally got a 300 gr RN solid from a 375HH to hit the target.

kind of like a fuller on a sword or an i-beam, it can add some stiffness.
An I-Beam is less stiff than a solid bar of steel that fits into the same size box that an I-Beam does. The I-Beam shape is very stiff for its weight, because of its special shape, but not as stiff as it would be if it were a solid bar of steel that fits in the same size box.

A sword with a fuller is less stiff than a sword that fits into the same size scabbard but doesn't have a fuller. Removing the steel in a fuller makes the sword lighter and less stiff but keeps more stiffness than the sword would otherwise have if it were just ground thinner overall for the same amount of weight reduction.

Fluting a barrel (removing steel in a flute pattern) makes the barrel less stiff. It makes the barrel lighter, but also less stiff. HOWEVER, if you take two barrels of the same caliber and length, made of the same material and both of the same weight, the one that is fluted will be stiffer. It will also have a larger overall diameter.

"A compensator doesn't work on a 45 ACP because it is a low pressure cartridge. They only work with high pressure cartridges like a 38 Super."

You don't save money you just shoot more , Only in reloading some how this is supposed to make sense ??? I can reload two 308 rounds for the same price as 1 factory round but that's not saving money I just get to shoot more ???

Like being able to buy 2 gal of milk for the same price as one gal . You're not saving money you just drink more milk . Oh wait I've got another . You can buy two shirts for the price of one , you don't save any money you just wear more shirts - ERR WAIT WHAT ?????????????????????? :rolleyes:

When they make up the names, words mean whatever they say they mean, and what we think they mean and the way we've been using them for generations no longer matters.

LMAO , Great so I can measure my case headspace after bumping my shoulders

Thank god a MOD finally said we can use commonly used fraises .

Last edited:
LMAO , Great so I can measure my case headspace after bumping my shoulders

You can TRY....:rolleyes:

Thank god a MOD finally said we can use commonly used fraises .

I think the Mods are fine with commonly used phrases, when they are used CORRECTLY. :D

I am.

Of course, what you think is correct and what I think is correct may differ.

On the subject of "saving money" if you spend the same amount you spent before, you're not saving money. Getting twice as much for the money you spend is getting a better value for the money spent. It's not saving money.

If you're handloading and each round you make costs you half of what buying factory ammo does, AND you only load as many rounds of ammo as you bought before you started handloading, then I'd say you're saving money.

Very few of us do that. What we do is make more ammo for the same amount of money we spent before.

You can say it your way or you can say , I don’t shoot more and spend half as much as I did before . Now who’s saving money ?

Premium bullets, premium brass, I dont really see that much savings. I see higher quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow9mm View Post
so far my reloading and hand loading have both been cheaper than factory ammo
Premium bullets, premium brass, I dont really see that much savings. I see higher quality.

Home cast bullets, once fired brass. Of course it saves me money...at 96 rounds per day of .38 Spl., if I had to buy factory ammo, I could not possibly afford to shoot that much. So it depends on exactly what you are talking about...in my case, not centerfire rifle.

Home cast bullets, once fired brass. Of course it saves me money...at 96 rounds per day of .38 Spl., if I had to buy factory ammo, I could not possibly afford to shoot that much. So it depends on exactly what you are talking about...in my case, not centerfire rifle.
Look back to my orig statement. I said reloading saves money. I differentiate between reloading and hand loading. I use the term hand loading to describe making the most exact, precise, accurate, highest level performing load possible.

That the .50 cal round was not supposed to be used on troops and was only allowed to be used on equipment.

Actually this is a yes and no thing. Military doctrine designated the .50 as an anti-materiel round, and you weren't supposed to waste it shooting individual enemy soldiers.

What the troops often DID with the .50 disregarded "the book".

Today, they have re-written the book, to include long range anti-personnel use as "valid".

dahermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogtown tom View Post
Myth
According to Snopps, the M16 hand grip was made by Mattel.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/m-16-made-mattel/
Mattel NEVER manufactured any part for the M16. Ever. The Snopes article is an example of the false rumor.

This myth keeps getting repeated despite no one ever producing a single photograph of the word "Mattel" on the grip of a real M16.

Was it on the toy M16 made by Mattel? Definitely.

I don’t know about you guys but if I were making a firearm and any part of it was made by a manufacturer famous for making toys . I would have it in my contract that their name is nowhere stamped on any of the products they make . That’s just asking for bad advertising .

Hell in the early 90s I had a choice to buy a Beretta 92FS or this new-ish thing called a Glock . All the purest of the time kept telling me it was combat Tupperware and would never last so I bought the Beretta 92G . I now have multiple polymer guns but I’ve never actually owned a Glock . Not sure if the Tupperware wording has subliminally messed with my head but I’m just not interested in Glock’s .

I don’t have a dog in this fight but it wouldn’t surprise me that at minimum Mattel played a part because of their expertise in injection molding and different qualities of plastics of the time .

According to Snopps, the M16 hand grip was made by Mattel.
Keep in mind that when reading Snopes, the portions of text that are shaded with a yellow background are from sources that Snopes is assessing. The actual Snopes assessments/statements have a plain white background.

The section you are referring to is being quoted by Snopes, not confirmed by them.

If anyone can find ANY handguard, buttstock or handgrip from a Vietnam era M16 with ANY manufacturer's name at all stamped on it, a lot of people would be very interested to see it.
I don’t have a dog in this fight but it wouldn’t surprise me that at minimum Mattel played a part because of their expertise in injection molding and different qualities of plastics of the time .
Can't think of a good reason Mattel would be working with high-strength plastics, like glass-filled nylon, given their intended market.

Back