What's Your Favorite Firearm Myth?

Something that I had read, more than once, is that during the Vietnam war, only Colt made M16s.
Years and years later, I saw a pic of a Harrington & Richardson M16, and figured that must have been fake, because I'd read only Colt made them.
But, H&R did make M16s.
The M-16E1, yes that is an E, not an A though the configuration was basically the A1, I was issued in basic training at Fort Ord in 1977 was made by GM Hydramatic (sp?) Division. At least that was on the lower receiver. I don't remember if there was any date.

https://www.military.com/veteran-jobs/career-advice/military-transition/gm-making-of-m-16.html with some additional evidence that there were lots of non-Colts floating around during the Vietnam War.

Last edited:
Pronounce it what you will...M-1 Garand --- I'm not going to argue...

Sorry "Guh-Rand" fans --- But the correct pronunciation is "Gair-und".
Phonetically, it's string of characters are pronounced....;)

Em dash wun gare und

Last edited:
I always walk a fine line between stating what I believe in my heart and peeving off 95% of the people who read it when I post it:

Myth: “Guns were made to be shot”

Me: No. Military contract guns, yes. All commercial guns from the pot metal clunkers up to the irrationally engraved and one-off customs... all of these were made to be sold

The myth comes up every time the term “safe queen” is used.

I find it endlessly frustrating that folks believe their own personal axioms and mantras should apply to others. “I won’t own a gun I don’t shoot!” This is fine and God love ya for setting stringent rules for yourself but you’re wrong when you believe this is “just how it should be.”

I always walk a fine line between stating what I believe in my heart and peeving off 95% of the people who read it when I post it:

Myth: “Guns were made to be shot”

Me: No. Military contract guns, yes. All commercial guns from the pot metal clunkers up to the irrationally engraved and one-off customs... all of these were made to be sold

The myth comes up every time the term “safe queen” is used.

I find it endlessly frustrating that folks believe their own personal axioms and mantras should apply to others. “I won’t own a gun I don’t shoot!” This is fine and God love ya for setting stringent rules for yourself but you’re wrong when you believe this is “just how it should be.”
I love my safe queens.

SAKO rifles are not pronounced "sa-ko" --- It is correctly pronounced "sock-o" in the Finnish language.

Along with Lapua --- Not "La-pua"...but "Lap-wa", as in Lapland.

Last edited:
Well, last time I checked, a universal set of names, terms and conventions was written or spoken, everyone understood them the first time sensed.

SAAMI has a glossary for most if them.

Well, last time I checked, a universal set of names, terms and conventions was written or spoken, everyone understood them the first time sensed.

Just make sure to keep checking! :D

If your job is selling "news" or your opinion, disguised as important, using terms in the accepted way is only relevant when you want it to be.

Seems a number of people in politics do the same thing.

And, its not JUST guns!

There are a number of things that I wouldn't call myths, so much as opinion.

Mostly a "this is no good for that" kind of thing. Now if you add a because "it annoys them" or this is best for that because "if the bullet is even close it will knock them down" and, fools repeat it, then you're into a "myth".

Other myths interpretations of something in the past for which we have no conclusive proof.

Some of them are humorous, some just go too far.

SAKO rifles are not pronounced "sa-ko" --- It is correctly pronounced "sock-o" in the Finnish language.

I was at a shoot last year where one of the executives of Lapua USA was there. I guess he needs you to teach him how to pronounce it.

Sorry, but THAT^ isn’t a definitive answer either. I chatted with a paid, traveling and factory-outfitted company rep for S&W at an expo who had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that S&W had made all steel 10mm pistols from 1990-1994.

Oh and this conversation went down a decade ago, not last week. He kept trying to steer the conversation toward his display of M&P pistols (which his company refuses to chamber in 10mm, I might add)

Sorry, but THAT^ isn’t a definitive answer either. I chatted with a paid, traveling and factory-outfitted company rep for S&W at an expo who had NO IDEA WHATSOEVER that S&W had made all steel 10mm pistols from 1990-1994.

Knowing every model and metal they were made of the company you work for has made and knowing how to pronounce there name is two different things don't ya think . How often does that pistol come up in his daily , weekly monthly , yearly conversations compared to how often he has to say Lapua in that same time frame .

Not saying either of you are right or wrong , just that would not have been my opening argument haha .

Last edited:
reynolds357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erno86 View Post

I was at a shoot last year where one of the executives of Lapua USA was there. I guess he needs you to teach him how to pronounce it.
Straight from Lapua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INK-8K9xx_c

there, there, don't worry about the grammar police, they're gone, for now, and they've taken their big red markers with them...:rolleyes::D

but they'll be back!! heh, heh, heh...:eek:

If it wasn’t mentioned...

All the different folks who swear that their 9mm or .38 Special load “feels like a .22”

Back