What's Your Favorite Firearm Myth?

22 LR is a 100 yard round at best.

Years ago on a weekender I challenged my friends to a bet on that. $20 to all comers that I could hit our 500 yard target with my 10/22. One shot and I collected....that 3 day weekend all we shot were our 22's. Of everything we had available, everyone shot nothing but 22's.

And the thread descends into Minutia.

The point is bullets dont have any lift. Nothing causes a bullet to do anything but fall with gravity the instant it leaves the muzzle.

The SLIGHT angular convergence between line of sight and the bore point the bullet in an upward direction until gravity pulls it back to Earth. Hence an arc is formed and we get the bullet crossing LOS twice, once relatively close (~30-50yds) and once at our zero distance.

Basic external ballistics.
That is correct, But thats not what was said.

I don't know about myths, but why is it whenever I bring a brand new shooter to the pistol range, they out shoot me? :mad: I have half a mind to stop helping new shooters all together. Ungrateful sons a... :)

I can't believe no one mention this.

1. The bullet rises first as it leaves the barrel and than falls.

2. The harder you squeeze the trigger the father the bullet goes.

I can't believe no one mention this.

1. The bullet rises first as it leaves the barrel and than falls.

2. The harder you squeeze the trigger the father the bullet goes.
The bullet might rise when it leaves the barrel. I can prove to you a bullet can "rise" when it leaves the barrel.

A link says nothing to my comment.
Did you actually read what I said? Combo of wind and terrain?
Just as wind can move a bullet to the right or to the left, wind can also have a vertical component, especially when combined with terrain like a hill.
With Kowa Big Eyes (tri-pod mounted) watching trace, and the wind blowing up the hill and a little bit to the left. Yes the bullet was rising to the degree to where it it moved completely above the 16" tall by 10" wide target. We had four people watching this happen and we all took turns on the gun a 6x47 Lapua with 105 A-Max's specialty pistol.
I have never seen such a dramatic change, but the wind was howling up that hill

Even though I agree that "light bullets can run into trouble."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Brush Buster Myth"

"A heavy round nose bullet will make it through the brush better than a spitzer (pointed) bullet."

A link says nothing to my comment.
Did you actually read what I said? Combo of wind and terrain?
Just as wind can move a bullet to the right or to the left, wind can also have a vertical component, especially when combined with terrain like a hill.
With Kowa Big Eyes (tri-pod mounted) watching trace, and the wind blowing up the hill and a little bit to the left. Yes the bullet was rising to the degree to where it it moved completely above the 16" tall by 10" wide target. We had four people watching this happen and we all took turns on the gun a 6x47 Lapua with 105 A-Max's specialty pistol.
I have never seen such a dramatic change, but the wind was howling up that hill
Yes I did and it reminded me of this link at the very bottom of the link that this will always be an on going debate. Oh btw I agree with you. I've seen houses and cars flying so I know what wind can do.

Even though I agree that "light bullets can run into trouble."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Brush Buster Myth"

"A heavy round nose bullet will make it through the brush better than a spitzer (pointed) bullet."
Having had .308 bullets keyhole at about 50 (yes 5 and one zero) yards from hitting a not even woody weed I can sure see where that got started.

A bullet can rise even after it has been dropping for 600 yards...Combination of terrain and wind
Seen that one firing tracers over the Snake River. Watched the bullet arc out, starting to drop, then rise, then drop. Blew my mind. The guy I was shooting with said it amazed him the first time he saw it. Thermals and wind hitting the canyon walls do it.

Seen that one firing tracers over the Snake River. Watched the bullet arc out, starting to drop, then rise, then drop. Blew my mind. The guy I was shooting with said it amazed him the first time he saw it. Thermals and wind hitting the canyon walls do it.
Many won't believe it until they see it.

"It had Singer stamped on it!" is the handgun equivalent of the Mattel M16; M1911A1s made by Singer had "S. MFG. CO." stamped on the slide, and I would be very surprised if any grunts knew Singer made them.

Back