What's the best Sig Sauer pistol you would buy?

I'm sure that beauty is out of my price range :-)

Many thanks all for the recommendations. I think I still like the P229 the best: hammer-fired, all metal, light weight, compact size, Sig reliability.

SIG Sauer in Eckernförde is closed since a few years and the proof house that rented space in their basement is also closed. Reasons for the insolvency were given in 2020 as a lack of government orders and lower domestic demand. The law suit of the German government, however, was the main reason and the German government proudly destroyed hundreds of good jobs when SIG Sauer closed.

J.P. Sauer & Sohn, the branch producing hunting rifles in Isny, is still open.

https://www.sauer.de/en/sauer-world/270-years/historie/

The best Sig I've ever owned was the P228, bought new more than twenty years ago. I gave it to my daughter a few years ago, precisely because it was so good. I've kept the single-stack P225, bought in 2001. I will not buy a Sig of contemporary manufacture. So that was it for good for me.

M11

In a previous post the comment has been made that the M11 pistol is the service designation for the P226. That is not correct. Intended for those needing a pistol smaller than the Berretta, (or the P226) it is my understanding the M11 was not widely issued. The M11 was the P228 pistol.

The P228 was a compact version of the P226 and had a shorter barrel and slightly less mag capacity than it's bigger brother. Think something along the lines of a Commander or Officers Model SIG. I am of the belief it was only ever produced in 9mm. Certainly all the M11 pistols were 9mm only. P228 mags will not work in a P226, having insufficient length to lock in place. But the opposite is true, P226 mags will lock and run in a P228. The P228 used the stamped and pinned slide common to earlier P-series pistols before the advent of milled slides to deal with .40 SW pressures. The P229 introduced with the .40 chambering got a milled slide and began to be offered in 9mm, and the P228 was dropped. Additionally, the P228 used the internal extractor common to the P220/226 w/ stamped slide.

The M11a1 offered later used the milled slide and is a M11 wannabe. The milled slide guns are a bit heavier across the family. Additionally, the M11a1 uses the external extractor common to the milled slide series like the P229. The ejector differences are clearly visible on any image of a stamped v. milled P-series pistol.

The best Sig I've ever owned was the P228, bought new more than twenty years ago. I gave it to my daughter a few years ago, precisely because it was so good. I've kept the single-stack P225, bought in 2001. I will not buy an Sig of contemporary manufacture. So that was it for good for me.

Same here. All my Sigs are West German or German Mastershop.

Eh, I’ve owned over a dozen West German Sigs. They have a great reputation and they are certainly classic pistols. That being said, construction was cheap. The finish was poor and the stamped steel slide was used to cut costs.

The original P220 was designed as a low cost replacement for the P210.

Calling anyWest German Sig the best or finest Sig would be the result of lack of experience or knowledge.

Eh, I’ve owned over a dozen West German Sigs. They have a great reputation and they are certainly classic pistols. That being said, construction was cheap. The finish was poor and the stamped steel slide was used to cut costs.

Calling anyWest German Sig the best or finest Sig would be the result of lack of experience or knowledge.
Yup. I own and have owned both West Germany made Sigs and US made Sigs and can find no difference in quality between the two. And I find the support and service through the Exeter folk far better than with the earlier distributors.

The Sig Sauer P226 is a classic and time-tested pistol that is known for its durability and accuracy. The P226 Pro Cut offers improved ergonomics and customizability, making it an attractive choice for athletes and recreational shooters.
On the other hand, the Sig Sauer P229 is a compact version of the P226, making it more suitable for concealed carry or use as a duty weapon. It also has excellent accuracy and reliability.
Sig's marketing BS is nauseating. Here's what they say about the P226 Pro Cut....

"now with a PRO-CUT slide make this pistol a force to be reckoned with."

Your knowledge of the folded slide Sigs are severely lacking.

You are wrong about the M11. It's a P228 that was issued to flight crew and plain clothes or other military police type members, amongst others.

Wow, the P210 Target is such a beauty! Is there a similar gun with a double stack magazine?
The gun you are referencing is a made in USA clone of a real P210. The finest were made in Switzerland and what they make now is a sad impersonation of one of the classic pistols of all time.

Your knowledge of the folded slide Sigs are severely lacking.

Glad you love them. They aren’t bad pistols, but these days I’ll stick with Mastershop stuff. I’ve very likely got more invested with Sig than the rest of the responders in this thread combined. I’m very comfortable with my knowledge of the brand, from Swiss Sig to modern day Sig Sauer.

Thanks for your input though.

The gun you are referencing is a made in USA clone of a real P210. The finest were made in Switzerland and what they make now is a sad impersonation of one of the classic pistols of all time.

Yeah, I agree to a point. I’ve got many P210’s from Swiss forged Heavy Frames to German Super Targets. I also have a P210A Target, which I shoot most since the others have increased in value so much.

While quality isn’t on par with Swiss or German Mastershop models, they do shoot very well and I find them easier to shoot than the Swiss models.

American Sig quality has improved over the years.

Back