What's Bad About Wolf Ammo?

Tul Ammo

Tull Ammo 45 ACP leaves a lot of residue that mixes with the lubricants in the gun; hence creating a gunk kind of sticky residue in my guns. My PARA 1911 had many Jams; however, my Glocks 30 and 21, started to Jam after I had shot about 100 rounds each.

I used Wolf ammo in my VZ52/57 chambered in 7, 62X39, it's the worst ammo I ever had, although it's pretty precise, the gun ist extreme dirty, the primer is corrosive, the case is made of steel and it scratched the chamber, I will never use that cheap dirt again!

I shoot thousands and thousands of rounds of Wolf through my guns each year and never have had any trouble whatsoever.

Much of that is through Model 1 Sales 10.5 inch and less AR uppers which are supposedly unreliable and need some special secret squirrel ammo to make them work. But they chug along happily with Wolf, even without cleaning them every time I shoot them.

My SCAR 17 loves the 147 gr. and will shoot almost MOA with it.

But I have had trouble with Tula's 5.56 rounds sticking in the chambers of my ARs so I avoid them. A buddy had the same problem with his Kel-Tec PLR-16. But my pistols and SMG happily shoot their 9mm with no problems.

If you listen to the internet you'll hear all kinds of doom & gloom of how using Wolf will bring on the Zombocalypse or other horror, but I've never personally seen anything go wrong with Wolf.

Bad experience with wolf ammo

The only wolf ammo I've shot was in a bolt action 223. One case expanded so much that had to use a plastic mallet on the bolt to get it to open. I shot of up the rest of that batch without problem but had not bought any since.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young

The lacquer (or whatever it is) on the cases can make pretty good hot glue. I wouldn't let a hot gun cool with a round in the chamber, live or empty case (which isn't a good idea anyway), but we've had fun getting it out more than once.

I've shot thousands of rounds through SKS& AK's without any problems. I do clean them after a few hundred rounds

i shoot ten of thousands of tulammo through an assortment of guns.

pros: CHEAP, and the make .308 now for 9$ a box. monach(used to only sell steel) now makes brass .223 for 7$ a box!! i have no issues on it's accuracy, especially on their .223.

cons: the rim can sometimes break from being brittle and make the casing not extract from barrel. if it's tight in there, it requires a break-down and barrel brush to extract. on tight tolerence pistol barrels, it can get stuck due to case being too large when it's laqaured and have to use a knife blade to pry out.. tula is not usually lacquered, just wolf and monach. ranges dont like it if they have a chain pulley system, if the case flies up and gets stuck in the chain it can damage it since it's not soft like brass. another con is hard primers, i have issues with DAO pistols, lots of FTF. striker fired never has a prob.

i like to go out and shoot alot, i mostly reload when its cost effective, but my sks's and ak's don't mind steel at all. your not going to win a tourney with it and you need to be diligent about cleaning your weapon, but i always clean my weapon after the range anyways. shoot it and have fun. its never damaged any of my guns and they have all shot thousands of rounds of it.

i only use tula steel or brass monach, i dont like the lacquered stuff. i think one of the wolf brands may also be un-lacquered, just brushed steel. and of course 7.62x54r spam cans is a copper washed steel, also works insanely well for being up to 60 years old.

and you can say....it's not american, but i'm glad for foreign ammo makers flooding the market with a cheaper option, it keeps the ammo makers in check and keep a standard for pricing.

Last edited:
I use Tula but only because it is all that is available locally right now and prices are affordable.
But, I prefer to not use Russian products of any kind and will go back to American made only when it becomes available again.

hmmm, Zombie thread back from the dead only 15 days from Halloween eh?

Ive had a Wolf 223 blow the primer out the back in my AR. come to find out they never drilled a flash hole :eek:
the only guns i shoot steel cased ammo out of is my AK, my Makarov, and my Nagant. Other than that my guns eat my reloads.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

this test convinced me that my AR WILL NOT be fed any steel cased ammo. my AK i can care less about because it was never super accurate to begin with, and its a noise maker not a bench rifle.

hmmm, Zombie thread back from the dead only 15 days from Halloween eh?

Ive had a Wolf 223 blow the primer out the back in my AR. come to find out they never drilled a flash hole
the only guns i shoot steel cased ammo out of is my AK, my Makarov, and my Nagant. Other than that my guns eat my reloads.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bras...el-cased-ammo/

this test convinced me that my AR WILL NOT be fed any steel cased ammo. my AK i can care less about because it was never super accurate to begin with, and its a noise maker not a bench rifle.

Thanks for link. That's a pretty cool test they did. I would have gladly helped them with it. :D

However, I've personally fired thousands of rounds of Wolf through ARs with cheapo uppers and have had no problems. Plus, the test seemed more of a torture test, than a normal-wear-and-tear type test. I'm not going to sit here and argue that Wolf is the ultimate ammo ever, but I believe the fears around it are way overblown.

Old thread

When I saw the date on this thread, I wondered what direction it would take. Nothing bad.... Still the same mix of "it works" and "it doesn't work".
It works for me in both my Makarov pistol and a SA 1911 and a Glock 36.
Cases of the stuff.
The primers are not corrosive. No rust on my guns.
Lacquer.... Hot glue? That stuff does not melt under any normal circumstance.... If, somehow, a shooter is getting a gun hot enough to melt that coating, then they have more problems than the ammo.

Some of the earlier comments made me shake my head....."commie ammo". The Soviet Union ceased to exist on Jan. 1, 1992. The Russians may not be our buddies but they haven't been Commies for a long time. Not even when this thread was new.

Buying Wolf ammo is unamerican (maybe that was a joke ??)....If so , imagine what buying gasoline is.
Pete

Last edited:
Back