What's Bad About Wolf Ammo?

Thanks for all the responses. I think I learned something. Golfnutrlv's answer strikes me as the likely reason why my range doesn't like Wolf.

DogoDon

eddiejoe333

AFAIK, Steel is either non reloadable, or enough of a hassle to not bother trying. It isn't corrosive though.

Another thought, the opposite of the OP, think about what's good about Wolf ammo. It's cheap, fairly common, and works well in Combloc stuff. :cool:

I've only ever bought one box of Wolf, and I shot it through my Hi-Point, and it was fine. Didn't jam and didn't seem to make the gun all that much dirtier than WWB does. Ugly though.

I have read that steel cases can cause problems on some indoor ranges. I will agree that some of ranges probably just want to sell more ammo or pick up brass to reload. If you're not shooting on an indoor range there's no reason not to use Wolf unless you reload. No, it's not match ammo but neither is WWB or UMC. It's cheaper than brass cased ammo and it makes the same holes in paper the other stuff does. I have several thousand rounds through a Glock 19 with no problems or worn out parts. If you have a gun that's picky to begin with I suppose it may be an issue but not for the average shooter/gun.

I've heard that steel cases are hard on some gun parts but haven't seen the proof. Also many Wolf rifle cartridges contain FMJ bullets and most ranges forbid FMJ bullets because their insurance companies feel that FMJ bullets are harder to contain in a backstop. The lacquer sealer supposedly builds up and causes chambering problems but I've not encountered that either.
I don't shoot the stuff but if I had an SKS and wanted to have fun with it you can bet I'd have a case of Wolf ammo. Reloaders have good things to say about their primers so they're doing something right.

My DPMS 556 rifle came with a very large warning inside the box that stated if you shoot Wolf ammo it will void your warranty. No explanation. But that and Wolf's bad reputation have caused me to avoid it, no matter what the price.

Now I'm thinking I might give it a try, maybe in 45 or 9mm. How bad can it be?

Like many others have said, there's nothing wrong with wolf ammo. I now shoot wolf .223 exclusively out of my AC556 and Wolf 9mm in my glock and other 9mm's.

Some ranges just don't like not making money on your spent wolf cases. That's all........the same ranges that yell at you for picking up your own brass.

I swear, if I ever have to shoot at another range like that, I'm going to scratch "KABOOM" into as many of my shells as I possibly can. Have fun reloading and selling my spent brass.

One word - GREED.

They can't reload it and it's a pain to sort it out from the brass. One range I go to doesn't allow Wolf claiming that it's Eastern bloc crap and its dirty (like they clean my gun, right?). So the next time I brought CCI Blazer. :D You should have seen the look on their face 'cause they totally remembered our last conversation.

DogoDon
What's Bad About Wolf Ammo?

Now I'm thinking I might give it a try, maybe in 45 or 9mm. How bad can it be?

I feed a lot of it through my 1911s. It's cheap fun. Yeah, it's dirty. But I clean the guns when I get back home anyway. If had a top end $2000 custom 1911, then I probably wouldn't shoot Wolf. But my cheapy $500 to $600 1911s get to see plenty of it. No problems with me. I've had no problems with wearing out extractors on my guns either. If, after thousands and thousands of rounds, I wear out an extractor, I'll just replace it. They're not that expensive anyway.

I used to use a lot of Wolf because it was cheap. Then one day while minding my own business and shooting Wolf in a moonclipped revolver, I had a case crack on me. The picture's not the best, but I couldn't extract the rounds from the gun without banging on the rod with a mallet.

Later, as a dog returns to it vomit, I tried Wolf again in a different revolver, this time a 625 using Wilson Combat steel moonclips. After firing, the steel cases were so difficult to extract that I managed to bend not one but two perfectly good moonclips.

Last edited:
All you need to sort out the wolf ammo shells is a large magnet. Ain't that hard. No, these jerks are just GREEDY!!!

I love wolf in all my weapons.
Its not the best, but it works great for training.
I shoot it in a few of my ARs with no issue what so ever..

Also many Wolf rifle cartridges contain FMJ bullets and most ranges forbid FMJ bullets because their insurance companies feel that FMJ bullets are harder to contain in a backstop.

I don't think you have the correct definition of FMJ.

I use the heck out of wolf and I love it.

Its not even that much dirtier than the Speer Lawman I bought in large quantity years ago.

I have been using wolf for a long time in older, and newer firearms and it works well, does what it needs to do and does it well.

I wouldn't take it hunting, but for function in an AR its great, bolt guns good, 1911s good, Browning HP good, CZ flawless etc etc etc.

I am firmly convinced that problems people cite are internet myth and lore.

As to having a broken case here or there I am a loving devote of the .303 britt you just get used to it. I can understand how it would **** you off in a revolver and ruining your moon clips though.

I have seen just as many brass cases crack and get stuck as I have steel cases.

As for the lacquer wolf is using a new polymer coating now instead of the traditional lacquer aren't they?

As to removing cracked or even worse torn case heads from the chamber a .30 cal or 1 size larger than intended caliber seems to work sell for getting them out, shove it in the shell, and try to reverse the brush, it usually grabs pretty good first try and yanks it out.

-Bill

Like all things in the world, for the most part you get what you pay for. If all you want is ammo that goes bang when you pull the trigger Wolf may be just fine for you. I personally demand much more from my ammo (like accuracy and good bullet design) and you won't catch me dead with Wolf. The steel case just adds to my dislike.

Wolf = cheap plinkin ammo that may do the deed in the advent of zombie attacks.

LK

As for the lacquer wolf is using a new polymer coating now instead of the traditional lacquer aren't they?

Yes, like for at least 4 years now.....maybe much longer, but that's about when I started ordering Wolf Ammo in bulk.

If you want to talk about dirty ammo, try shooting the old Chinese Corrosive ammo that was around when they were still importing Polytech AK's into the US. My hands would look like I'd been sweeping chimnies after shooting a couple hundred rounds of the Chinese corrosive ammo. People who claim that Wolf Ammo is "dirty" haven't ever fired dirty ammo.

I don't think anyone has been claiming that Wolf ammo makes excellent home defense ammo or that it's match grade competition ammo either. I think most people acknowledge it for what it is, cheap ammo for fun shooting. Do I use it in my nightstand gun or my ccw? Heck no! Do I use it for trips to the range or shooting water jugs, pumpkins, watermelons, etc out on the farm? Heck yes!

Back