What's Bad About Wolf Ammo?

DogoDon

Just curious. When I go to the indoor range I frequent, they always ask "You aren't shooting any Wolf ammo, are you?" The way they ask it suggests that what they really mean is, "You aren't allowed to use Wolf ammo here."

So what's so bad about Wolf ammo? Like I said, just curious. I don't have any of it, nor do I plan to ever use it.

DogoDon

It's steel cased and often dripping with laquer (sp?). It leaves your gun dirty and sometimes can cause malfunctions, depending on what your shooting. I personally have no problems with it, especially out of an AK. The reason your rAnge doesn't like it? They can reload the casings or sell it to reloading companies.

Wolf (at least the Tula stuff) is steel-jacketed as well as steel-cased, and my range at least won't let me shoot it there out of fear of ricochets.

I think many gun ranges don't allow you to shoot steel case (usually Wolf) because they recycle brass, and sorting out the steel cases is a hassle for them.

They don't care about what it may do to your gun :p

The ammo is fine. They don't like it because the can't sell it to reload. The same with Blazer. Which is why they started making Blazer Brass. Shoot it. It's decent cheap ammo.

Nothing wrong with the ammo for fun shooting. A lot of people say that the powder doesn't burn as cleanly as other powders, so it can leave your gun dirty. A lot of it has laquered cases and shooting large quantities can lead to your internals getting gummed up. But clean it after each trip to the range and you'll be fine. A lot of people complain of hard primers too that can lead to premature wear on your gun. I've never had that experience. If you shot thousands of rounds of Wolf ammo each year over 10 plus years, you might start to see some negative issues. But most of us won't shoot that much Wolf ammo in a year.

What's Bad About Wolf Ammo

Bad? Nothing. But it dose have some negatives.
The main reason the indoor range does not allow you to shoot it where I shoot (but they do sell it) is complaints from the smoke. It is much more dirty than most.
The other reasons has already been mentioned by others.
I shoot a great deal of Wolf in my AR and AK47. I have never had a failure and it works well in the guns that I shoot it in. Pistol caliber I don’t shoot it much because I reload and I won’t buy ammo that’s not good quality brass or not berdan primed.
If you don’t mind the little extra cleaning then shoot it, its main advantage is its price.

Their ammo for combloc longarms is acceptable and economical for that purpose. Only handgun I consider it for is the Mak. It was made to use that sort of ammo, after all. I cannot see seperating it from brass as being a problem, haven't the rangetards heard of a magnet? They want to sell you ammo is the probable truth. The Wolf .22 rimfire stuff has a better rep than the balance of the handgun ammo, some is good match grade stuff made in the west. I will buy dies before I will use it in my other handguns, though.

Cabellas is presently offering steel-cased ammo from another Russian manufacturer, Herter's. They're advertising it heavily and the prices are substantially lower than for most manufactured equivalents. I just ordered 500 rounds of .45 ACP 230 FMJ and I'll be interested in seeing how it performs. I shoot both a 1911 and a Smith & Wesson 625. I've ordered it primarily for the revolver on the theory that I won't have to contend with extraction issues.

nothing wrong with it...I've shot thousands of rounds of Wolf in training with no issues. I've actually had fewer problems with Wolf than with WWB.

Honestly, I don't care whats wrong or right with it, or even how much it costs. I wont EVER shoot that crap in my guns. My own opinion, I shot it once when I had no idea; I hated inhaling all that smoke. I didn't even realize I inhaled so much of it until I went home and blew my nose. OMG! :eek: Not surprisingly my gun was filthy and gunky from only 200 rounds I shot that session. The ammo actually leaves a trail of metal specks in the gun internals too. Sort of like gold dust.

From someone who works at a gun store:

Wolf ammunition restrictions for us have nothing to do with the cases. We shoot tons of the blazer aluminum cased stuff.

The real reason is the steel jacket, for two reasons:
1. Most indoor bullet traps don't react well to steel on steel contact. increases wear and tear on the trap.
2. Most bullet traps of said style are lubricated with hydraulic oil, or a similar material. Steel on steel creates spark, sparks on the oil create flames, creates potential disaster.

Flame me all you want, but don't get on gun shop owners for protecting their customers safety and equipment investment.

To answer the other questions, I do not trust the accuracy, cleanliness, or quality standards of Wolf ammunition.

What's Bad About Wolf Ammo

Compared to American Ammo, their .40S&W really are Short and Weak. I had a batch that wasn't strong enough to cycle my very well broken in XD40 consistently. I've only had one batch that bad, most just feels "watered down" compared to WWB or Federal range stuff.

"Commie ammo in Commie guns" Wow. I won't even comment on that statement.

I have shot Wolf in .45 and .223. Shoots just fine. Not one single issue in over 1000 rounds of each. Given the choice between Wolf and any other brass cased round, assuming similar price, I would choose the brass cased ammo over the Wolf steel ammo.

+1 to Fustache44 :D

I have a couple questions:

Can you reload steel cases?
Is Wolf priming corrosive?

I think I already know the answer to the first question, but the only stoopid question is the one you don't ask.

I stay away from steel case ammo in my 'Merican guns, but i figger my AK, SKS's, and Mil-surp Euro pistols were made for it so it's OK in them.

I'll never buy it again. I bought 4000 rounds (5.56) thinking I got a good deal. Turns out, they are weak as a popcorn fart and worst of all, they are mis-sized. They are to long and will not cycle in an AR. I've taken some of them and ran them through my bullet seater to seat the bullet lower and they fire ok. Having to do that 4000 times sucks, especially considering I bought loaded ammo that was suppossed to work.

Never had a problem with any in an AK, but I've never had a problem with any ammo in an AK.

No, you can't reload steel cases. Not with standard equipment anyway. Wolf is non corosive ammo.

Back