What would you buy if you are only allowed to own three pistols?

I know it is an old question, but I genuinely want to hear your thoughts. I'm a rookie in the gun world. Based on my months of research, I am leaning towards:
(a) A Walther PDP Pro for home defense
(b) A CZ 75 P-01 as a CCW
(c) A Smith and Wesson 686 SSR for range fun

I know there are better pistols out there, but I think these are the best value ones. What are your thoughts?

My choices
(a) Sig P365, EDC
(b) G19, Home Defense, Heavy EDC
(c) 1911, Just love them, something about an all steel 45

In relation to your choices, mainly the CZ, Having carried a P226, and 1911 as EDC guns over the years, I would not want to be stuck with an all metal gun as an EDC for the rest of my life. for an EDC gun those OZ really make a significant difference. YMMV.

I love my CZ75B. Tied with my Beretta PX4 for my favorite semi auto pistol. PX4 is ugly as all get out, but it is just a pleasure to shoot.

If I could only have one handgun though, it would be my 5" Smith 627 N frame...

CZ 75 P01 9mm compact with decocker for CCW
Colt 1911 45 ACP 5 inch because everybody should have a classic 1911!
4 or 6 inch Smith and Wesson 686 because the 357 is the most versatile pistol round made.

If I could sneak in a 4th, it would be a 5 inch Smith and Wesson 629 if I lived in bear country.

Drawing from what i currently own:
1. Dan Wesson .357 Pistol Pac
2. Browning HP with Ciener Conversion unit
3. Ruger Super Blackhaw 44 Old Model.

Because of rattlers and copperheads in the summer I would have to have my 642, with CCI snake shot. It would also double for pocket carry SD.
My 5” M&P 9 would have to stay and one of my Ruger MkII’s.
And my 357 Max scoped Contender. Never could count that well;)
Glad this isn’t real.

Last edited:
1. Would be a S&W m41 with 5” field barrel - field & target uses
2. Pre series 80 Colt Commander .45acp - SD
3. Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag - Deer/ hog hunting

Quality is an element that you can't recognize until you experience it for yourself.

Back in the day, some of the S&W revolvers were big-factory-supported custom tuned handguns, made by expert pistolmsniths. Those days are gone.

I believe it's not how many you own, but how many you love. So here is my list:

0. If you don't have T/C Contender on your list, it is wrong. EA Brown sells SSK-50 frames. Compatible with T/C G1 internal parts and all G1 and G2 barrels, this is your .22, .357, .44, .45... whatever caliber pistol you want, and your carbine too. Some say this is cheating, and some say aiming and hitting what you aim at in one shot has gone out of style. Swapping barrels... awesome.

1. "Every man should own a .22 pistol" Category: I have a Walther TT Olympia clone (parts are identical to Hammerli), hand tuned by pistolsmith Larry Leutenegger. One can't get that anymore, so... while there is nothing wrong with a Ruger, next to a Volquartsen you'll understand why the semi-custom costs twice as much. But I would probably pick the Walther GDP Expert at about $2,000 over the S&W Model 41 because... remember... you only get ONE, so don't be a cheapscate.

2. "Let's go hunting Big Bore". I sold my .454 Casull Freedom Arms Model 83in favor of a Hamilton Bowen tuned Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. If you can't wait the few years for Mr. Bowen's schedule for the very best single action revolver bar none, the Freedom Arms is a stunning choice. .500, .475, .454, .44... these are all the calibers you might pick. The thing is build like a swiss watch. $3,500. Remember, you only get one.

3. "Center-Fire Semi-Auto": Nighthawk Predator $4,500 (.45 acp but 9mm cuz it's your money) but I would pick Rock River Arms, because they are closer to my house and I like their stuff. As I slim down the gun cabinet, the center-fire semi-auto I have kept is surprising... Bersa Thunder 380. It's such a nice pistol for so little money, it's not worth selling.

Don't be such cheapscates. If you ONLY get three, make sure they are the best!

(I protect my home with a Labrador. Big woofs and bird dog. He works 24x7 and even when I am not there.)

If I could only have 3 pistols they would be, in no particular order:

Sig X-Five Level 1 9mm
HK P7M13
Original Tanfoglio Witness Stock 10mm.

For me it will be:
1. Sig Sauer P226 Legion (best overall)
2. Walther PDP Pro (best bang for your buck)
3. HK VP7 (most reliable)

These are legendary firearms with very reasonable prices.

1. Full size Beretta 92 series in 9mm with a .22LR conversion kit
  2. Sig P250 Fire Control Unit with a variety of barrels and slides in the 6 available calibers (.22LR, 380ACP, 9mm, 357Sig, .40S&W, and 45ACP)
  3. S&W N-frame revolver - still agonizing over caliber

Beginner here but I enjoy this kind of thing.
1. Hellcat Pro w/SMSC
2. Kimber KHX Custom/RL (OI)
3. Walther PDP Pro Acro

Sig P226 9mm with 22LR conversion ( That still counts as one! )

1911 in 45 ACP of your choice

44 Magnum revolver of your choosing, can shoot multiple calibers too.

Let us hope we never have to make such a choice IRL.

:)

The first two are easy:

One of my two TC Contenders. I have a dozen or so barrels. I shoot TCs more than anything else.

My Dan Wesson Model 15 with 6" barrel. With the "3 only limit" consideration, I could pick up 2" and 4" barrels to offset the loss of other 38/357 guns.

I really have a hard time trying to decide which one of my remaining guns I would keep.

Last edited:
I would say a Glock 19 for when SHTF. A J frame for regular daily carry. A quality pocket 380 for when the j frame is too big.

These choices are obviously geared around personal defense as opposed to hunting or surviving a zombie apocalypse or election year “summer of love”. ??????

Back