what would i get if i wanted something like a revolver but more like a glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason, If I may give you some alternative advice.
Rather than trying to pick out a gun now spend some time at a range that offers guns to rent. Many ranges will let you try several guns to see which one fits your preference. Don't worry about stopping power just yet.....worry about finding a gun that suits your grip, your physical characteristics and your mentality.
Most of all find a gun that you will practice with. So many people want a bad ass gun that hurts their hand when they shoot more than a cylinder or magazine full.
They tend NOT to practice with those guns.
Find something you will shoot until you get very good at it.
That is your best defense...not caliber, not capacity.
It's all about you. People all over the world have guns that sit in a nightstand or a safe and never get practiced with. What good is that?

Well, good then. I just had to say my peace because I sensed a red flag; glad to hear it's a false alarm.
I am an American.
I am pro-2nd Amendment and I believe it is the right of every responsible American to own whatever corresponds well with the current U.S. service rifles and handguns, if one so chooses, even though my personal preferences lean towards simpler times.
I am concerned about the infringement of that 2nd Amendment. I am also concerned that the overzealous exercise of it could tarnish the perception of it and lead to further infringement. We are all ambassadors of the 2nd Amendment, for good or for bad, to those that do not understand it and are uncomfortable about firearms.
And, in this day and age, current events being what they are, we all ought to be concerned about the misuse of firearms and keeping them away from those that really shouldn't have them. We can not afford not to be concerned.
I am also concerned that the anti-gun factions of society seem to be the driving force behind gun-control legislation. Yet we are all pro-gun control at some level. The difference is that we want to protect the right of responsible gun ownership while the anti's want to eliminate guns from all but the, "Authorities". As the United States was originally formed, it was understood that the people themselves were the source of true authority; a very radical departure from the, "divine right of kings", that preceded the revolution. Sadly, many freedoms have been eroded or infringed upon since then.
Enough of that, though I did want to answer the accusation of being anti-gun.
In my view, the high-capacity semi-auto does not have to be detrimental to good marksmanship; though in actual practice, from what I have observed, it all to often is detrimental as a shooter can pump a lot of rounds downrange in a quest to get the first hit, while the revolver shooter deliberates to make an accurate first shot.
Power..... the 44 Magnum is way too powerful for most shooters to shoot well. Those that do shoot it well are, of course, the exception. But it's a great caliber that can be very accurate and when handloaded it can be shot a lot, tamed, and mastered. Again, I would recommend the Super Blackhawk, if you must have a 44 magnum.
Maybe take up target shooting and developing marksmanship skills. But stop thinking so much about gunfights. Buy a fishing license and take up the fine art of trout-fishing.

I've just read the last page and a half.

Just . . . . . . wow. It seems Jason is much more interested in image than the tool that a beginner can most effectively use for his stated purpose. If he doesn't like an answer he reframes the question to get a desired answer. And telling a jury that intending to kill an intruder is the same as neutralizing a threat could get you 10-20.

What would you guys recommend if I wanted a Kentucky style muzzle loader that functioned like a blunderbuss but could still take a bear at 1000 yards? And I also need an M lock rail and be concealable.

Thoughts?

Uninformed/ignorant questions seeking genuine knowledge are one thing and glad they can be asked here. Refusing honestly given experienced answers in patience and good faith are another. My kids do this same thing. Ask a question because they don't know and seek some knowledge from those who've BTDT. If they don't like the answer the question is rephrased with a premise geared towards a personally preferred answer. I'll tell you what I tell my kids. Buy the G20. If you don't like the educated answers given here, go buy the .44 mag/.50AE Desert Eagle because it looks cool. Once you've spent your money learning you're wrong, I'll buy it from you for 50 cents on the dollar if you thorw in left over ammo (which will be enough to buy the G20 new) and I'll even drive you to the gun store to get that G20 I told you to get in the first place. BTW, since I'm ranting Jason, "your" is possessive. "you're" is a contraction for 'you are' and denotes an action.

I drive a Buick (really) and get off my lawn. I feel like I should have a Gran Torino in the garage.

Personally I'm very (and I'll admit, irrationally) prejudiced on this topic.

I really like 1911 handguns.
I am really fascinated with the 10mm cartridge.
I am not really fond of Glocks.
I am pretty sure I wouldn't like what the 10mm cartridge would do to a nice 1911.

Therefore, I think I would really like a Glock chambered in 10mm 'cause I wouldn't care what the 10mm cartridge is doing to the gun and as long as I'm thinking about a Glock, might as well get the big 20 (or maybe the 40 with the longer barrel and slide cut for optical sights...that could be neat!)

Now this is kind of stupid on my part because any number of folk will tell you the 1911 style guns built for the 10mm cartridge will handle it just fine but that's my own personal thoughts on it.

Here's some 10mm guns not Glock.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog.../38878/eaa+999220+witness+steel+14+1+10mm+45"
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...cts_id/17863/colt+delta+elite+10mm+5in+8+1+ss
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...9/springfield+armory+xdm+10mm+black+525"+15+1

Jason,

It's difficult to replace revolvers in 38 Spl/.357 Mag or 44 Spl./44 Mag with self loaders. The reason is the versatility of the revolver when it comes to handling different power levels. Loads that range from target loads to self defense to hunting. Semi auto pistols work well within narrower ranges of power. But what you're looking for exists.

You are looking, if I follow what you've said correctly, a semi, doesn't have to be a Glock and for a caliber more powerful than the 9mm. (Except the 22 l.r.)

In terms of caliber I'll point you towards commonly available rounds. From a bit more powerful than 9mm to much more. I'll highlight those that are less expensive. Know that right now nothing beats the 9mm for inexpensive practice ammo.

You can look up the prices of these commercially and their power and compare them against each other.

38 Super (a niche caliber but can be had)

.357 Sig (A good round but a touch expensive)

40 S&W (Available and moderately priced.)

45 acp (Readily available, classically good)

10mm (can be pricey but judge for yourself)

There are an abundance of pistols chambered for these rounds. A lot of 1911s (Colt, Kimber, Dan Wesson, Rock Island, and many more) , CZ can be looked at, Beretta, etc.

Google 10mm pistols and they tumble off the screen. Use the internet. Get a copy of the book Ammo and Ballistics by Forker and study.

I'll suggest that you go local gun stores, gun shows, etc. and look and handle the guns you are interested.

Go to shooting ranges and rent some guns and shoot them.

I encourage you to buy a gun in 9mm and learn to shoot it well. Then get something else in a more powerful caliber. Shoot a lot.

tipoc

Last edited:
what i wanted something that wasnt a glock? or would pretty much any 10mm auto caliber handgun be good
Any 10mm handgun would provide the advantages of the caliber--.357Mag performance levels.

However, one of your requirements was high capacity. There just aren't a lot of high-capacity 10mm handguns available on the market.

EAA markets a "Witness" 10mm handgun in the U.S. that has 14+1 capacity. I don't have any experience with the Witness in 10mm, but the Witness I owned in .45ACP had some issues that worried me. That was some years ago and maybe they have worked out all the kinks by now.

Offhand, the Witness the Glock 10mms are the only high-capacity 10mm autopistols I am aware of. Perhaps someone else knows of another option.

There are. But there seem to be very few "high-capacity" 10mm pistols. The 220 SIG, for example, is an 8+1 gun.

Now, you do! :D

If you think they are laughably huge, clumsy and impractical, you are welcome to your opinion, I hope you're expressing that same opinion to those who fancy AR and AK "pistols". (which are even bigger and clumsier)

I don’t “know” you in the sense that we’ve never met in person, so my statement still stands :)

As far as AR and AK pistols go the word “pistol” should be in quotes because they are just basically SBRs with uncomfortable stocks. I agree they are worse than a DE and are even more impractical. BTW when I called the DE impractical I meant in the sense of a portable defensive weapon like the OP seemed to be wanting. As a range or hunting gun I’m sure they are fine. So is a 30-06 rifle, and likely cheaper.

I still think the 10mm is a lousy first handgun for a novice/beginner shooter- .22LR or .38SPL seems most appropriate. For all I know, the guy may have never pulled an actual handgun trigger before at all... 10mm= still bad juju.

I have no interest at all in a 10mm handgun (carbine- Yeah!), but I would so get one if one of the barrel makers would stamp it "1cm" for me.

It's not an ideal choice for a beginner. But I started out with a .357Mag as my first firearm so it can be done. I've often wondered if the extra work I had to do in the beginning to deal with flinching actually sped or slowed my development process.

I wasn't too far off of that, I started on a .38SPL. Looking back, I wish the one thing someone would've told me was "Line up the sights, don't move, and WATCH the handgun as it goes off." I don't know why, but after doing that much later, my anticipation driven low shots all suddenly stopped for the most part.

Rock Island Arsenal has a 1911 in 10mm with a 16 round capacity.

https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rock-series/rock-ultra-fs-hc-10mm/

But then if a fella thinks that a shot gun with 5 rounds isn't enough...

in terms of shotguns,i dont know.my problem with shotguns is.you have to reload them 1 shell at a time,to me it just seems easier to take a 12-15 round magazine for a handgun and throw it in a pistol and then reload then to pray that i kill the guy with a shotgun before i have to reload

and i know they make magazines for shotguns now.but ive heard they sucked, also it just seems like assault rifles and pistols are more interesting in terms of defense then shotguns to me

and doesn't like any of the 10 round shot guns, including those that look like ARs...

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/top-5-high-capacity-shotguns-2018/

The op is new to guns. It might be good to know how many 357 and 44 revolvers he has. None? OK how many has he shot?

tipoc

I want to make a comment. This thread is the usual focus on equipment with rather naive statements from the OP looking for a solution to an ill defined usage.

John Holschen - a respect instructor at Insights - summarizes such foci as follows:

A thought for today from John Holschen:
Amateurs think (or talk) equipment,
Students think techniques,
Masters think tactics!

I would suggest this is good advice, rather than the weeds of various 10mm.

and doesn't like any of the 10 round shot guns, including those that look like ARs

its not the rounds or the look of them i dont like,its the fact you have to load them 1 shell at a time.in a situation for something like self defense if someone would happen to break into your house or apartment or something.it just seems like it would be faster to just reload something like a 9mm handgun then a shotgun

or is that why they make shotguns with magazines now? i know mossberg has a shotgun that has a 20 round magazine with it

If you’ve emptied an eight shot riot gun and people are still standing then I assume one of three things has occurred:

1) You’ve been attacked by people wearing armor
or
2) You have missed several times
or
3) You’ve been attacked by nine or more people

One of these three things is under your control. The two that aren’t wouldn’t necessarily be solved with a handgun.

.in a situation for something like self defense if someone would happen to break into your house or apartment or something.it just seems like it would be faster to just reload something like a 9mm handgun then a shotgun

If you have pre-loaded magazines (one round at a time) it is.

They way you phrase it, I'm not clear if you mean loading the empty gun, or RE-loading a gun you have fired empty.

If you have fired your gun empty without making any significant change to the situation, speed of reloading isn't your biggest problem.

Remember, even (especially) in a self defense situation, YOU are LEGALLY responsible for every round you fire, where it goes and what ever damage it does. Don't be trained by the entertainment media, where they blaze away without repercussion.

As a private citizen, you don't get to engage in a gunfight. You shoot only in gravest extreme, and only enough to stop the immediate threat.

Spray and pray not only doesn't give you high odds of survival, it leaves you in serious legal risk, if you do survive.

Power is good, but only to the point where it doesn't surpass your skill to use it. Speed of reloading is useful, but its not the be all, end all consideration.

Only hits matter and only good hits work. The TV hero wins, because its in the script. And only because of that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back