what would i get if i wanted something like a revolver but more like a glock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a Glock in 10mm or 357 Sig.

Or if you don't want a Glock, they're now selling Springfield XDm's in 10mm.

Or if you want something metal, find a 1911 in 10mm.

Or if you want a revolver cartridge in an auto, find a Coonan 357 mag.

Or don't listen to any of the good advice given and go for that Desert Eagle L5. Which is only smaller than a normal Desert Eagle in barrel size, not grip size. As said above, laughably huge and impractical.

Jason92: If you’re asking for us to help you pick a handgun, this whole discussion is pointless without us knowing the exact purpose of it. You simply said “self defense” in response to my question, but you never answered my specific question as to what you’re defending yourself against. Animals? People? I ask simply because usually when people want a defensive gun as powerful as a .44 Magnum or a 10mm they’re thinking of animal defense.

You keep giving vague answers, so I’ll stop asking and just assume you mean self-defense against people. In that case, 9mm is your best bet and anything more powerful will give you more recoil, slower follow-up shots, less capacity, and a higher ammo cost with very little (if any) increase in terminal effectiveness.

Last edited:
What is this powerful thing you speak of? People fall to 22 or and 380 all the time.

The bigger guns means you likely won’t have it when you need it. Big calibers mean expensive ammo, and therefore less practice than you need to be truly fast and efficient.

Have you looked at something like a s&w 13 4”? Pretty good all around 357. I’ve seen ones from the 70’s that had some excessive finish damage that were cerakoted. Looked good!

Your most powerful calibers for a Glock would be .45 Super, 460 Rowland and 40 Super. All three really aren't hugely popular but I know when reloading .45 Super I could frequently get 800+ ft-lbs using 250-300gr bullets. Over 1000 ft-lbs with lighter bullets.

Peoples take on "power" differs but for me, higher energy numbers with heavier bullets is more impressive than high energy numbers with lighter bullets, the heavy bullets with good energy have a better success rate on larger animals. As for 10mm vs. 357 Mag, they're both almost ballistic twins. You'll get a bigger hole with 10mm but higher sectional density (deeper penetration) and overall stronger bullet designs with 357 Mag, most 10mm JHP's top priority is to work at typical .40 velocities.

Of course, some people show bias towards a particular caliber, 10mm performance seems to get a bit inflated. People claiming the 10mm can do 99% of what the .44 Mag can do seem to overlook the fact that performance wise, a 10mm has much MUCH more in common with .40 S&W than .44 Mag. Here's a visual example (.40 S&W, 10mm, 45 Colt)
6K1IZxO.jpg

In terms of ability, it's pretty clear which one the 10mm is closest to performance wise. A .40 can be loaded to within 100 fps of a hot 10mm, but 10mm isn't in the same class as a .44 Mag or .45 Colt. The 10mm offers good performance, but it's still a service class cartridge, so using that line of thinking, if the 10mm can do 99% of what the 44 Mag can do, then the .40 S&W or .45 ACP can do 100% of what the 10mm can do, which means the .40 and .45 could do 99% of what the .44 Mag can do, right? Doubtful.

Power wise in a Glock, the .45 platform offers the most power because it can utilize .45 Super, 460 Rowland and 40 Super, second would be 10mm and a very close third, .40 S&W.

Have you actuallly held a Desert Eagle? ….. I don’t know anyone who bought one who didn’t sell it at a significant loss not long after.

Now, you do! :D

I got a .357 Mag in 1984 and a .44 Mag in 1990. And if I remember right, I've had 3 others (all .357s) that I did wind up selling or trading over the years.

So, I've had 5 in total, still have 2, none sold "shortly after" purchase, and NONE sold for a loss.

Desert Eagles (and the other magnum class semis) are not service pistols. they were never meant to be, and shouldn't be compared with them.

If you think they are laughably huge, clumsy and impractical, you are welcome to your opinion, I hope you're expressing that same opinion to those who fancy AR and AK "pistols". (which are even bigger and clumsier)

To the OP, if you are looking for magnum class power in a polymer frame service class pistol, keep looking, no one is making one. 10mm is as close as you're going to get, and its not quite what I consider a real magnum.

More than enough for what most people need, though.

if you are looking for magnum class power in a polymer frame service class pistol, keep looking, no one is making one.

alright,lets say this then

what if i wanted something with more power then a 9mm,but not to powerful for something like self defense

i guess it doesnt even have to specifically be a glock either.i just used that as an example because the only handguns ive ever really looked at were desert eagle's and glocks

Last edited:
When you say, self-defense - do you mean for a carry gun or a nightstand gun?

Let's cut out being vague. Also, this isn't your phone, let's start using appropriate style and punctuation, if you are to be taken seriously.

Have you shot any of these guns? If not, I'd suggest a basic pistol course or some other quality introduction to handgun usage.

A naive discussion of the vague concept of stopping power isn't really that useful - if you are really asking a serious question.

Now, you do! :D

I got a .357 Mag in 1984 and a .44 Mag in 1990. And if I remember right, I've had 3 others (all .357s) that I did wind up selling or trading over the years.

So, I've had 5 in total, still have 2, none sold "shortly after" purchase, and NONE sold for a loss.

Desert Eagles (and the other magnum class semis) are not service pistols. they were never meant to be, and shouldn't be compared with them.

If you think they are laughably huge, clumsy and impractical, you are welcome to your opinion, I hope you're expressing that same opinion to those who fancy AR and AK "pistols". (which are even bigger and clumsier)

To the OP, if you are looking for magnum class power in a polymer frame service class pistol, keep looking, no one is making one. 10mm is as close as you're going to get, and its not quite what I consider a real magnum.

More than enough for what most people need, though.
44AMP, I was waiting for you to jump on that. I too love my 44 Desert Eagle and no one at the range laughs at you, they all just want to try it. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for self defense, I have a shoulder holster for it, and it's very manageable with Remington 180 grain JHPs. A little impractical as a daily carry though. But I'm a big guy and can hide a full size 1911 on me no problem.

Transformers, anyone?

I've been following this thread and almost replied yesterday...maybe I shouldn't bother.... but it seems to me that the premise of this thread is how to combine the best features of two completely dis-similar guns into one,.... and I'm not sure it can be done. Technically, I think you could breed a Dachsund with a Great Dane, even if you had to do it in-vitro, due to the fact that the physical dimensional differences are so different as to render the natural process as impractical... but at least they are both dogs, right?
But in this case we are talking about two very different guns; but they're both guns, and handguns at that right? So why not? I hope we can laugh at ourselves because this is just too ridiculous not to.
Now let me suggest something a little different to the OP, though perhaps a bit radical: Quit thinking about breeding a Glock with a revolver; go buy a high-capacity 10mm auto, or three, and, get which ever Deagle you think will ring your chimes, and, at the same time, get yourself a Super Blackhawk. Forget about any double-action revolvers; they are just too quick to eject and reload; you really need to, "handicap yourself", with a single action revolver so that you can give your high-capacity polymer-whatever all the unfair advantage it truly deserves...
God help your poor Glock if you actually end up with a first-generation Colt SAA instead of that otherwise excellent Super Blackhawk....
The next step is to shoot 500 rounds out of each of them, all this year. Then get rid of any that you don't shoot another 500 rounds out of before this time next year. That way, you'll end up with the right one(s).

If you're looking for a self defense gun, pistol or revolver, a 10mm or .357, is a hellofa lot of gun for a neophyte. If wedded to the proposition that it's gotta be one or the other, then get a spare bbl. in .40 S&W and a supply of .38 Spl cowboy level loads for the other which will be more appropriate for initial training. The heavy recoil, big calibers sound good for defense against man or beast but in reality, take years to master and are just not that appropriate for cc use. There's a reason that the 9mm's are so popular and it isn't just the relative price of ammunition.

Were I you, I'd get a Glock 19 in 9mm, learn to shoot it well then move on to something heavier. You'll be able to get almost what you paid for it and can put the money to a heavier gun. If you go the revolver route, a Smith model 10 or 19 will teach you the basics of DA shooting, and can be sold in a heart beat if you change your mind.

YMMv, Rod

Pathfinder, you’re correct. We shouldn’t bother. The correct answer is “just get a G20, now go away, kid.”

It comes out that the OP wants the most energy, the highest capacity, and “a Glock” because “Glock means polymer semi-auto” to the general Public.

There is no advertising money for the enjoyable sport of plinking. No money in it for the companies.

There is little advertising money in hunting, although the folks that make laser range finders and blue-tooth scopes have bent over backwards looking for a way to get someone’s money. How are folks supposed to make money with a product that lasts over 100 years?

Hunting industry has it’s fancy clothes, and some of it is good. I won’t give up my goretex rain jacket or polypropylene long underwear. But again, these last a decade or more with some care. Grandpa’s Woolrich hunting shirts lasted long enough to be handed down and then it took me 15 years to finally wear them out.

The firearms industry invented this game called “self defense”. Men (mostly men) buy in to this game of buying hardware to carry around. It’s uncomfortable and the chances are it’s more likely they’ll shoot their truck than an actual “bad guy.”

The same truck they use to drive to the office with. The best car for their real daily life is a Toyota Prius, as it spends 100,000 miles driving to an office park and maybe 100 miles on a gravel road and no time at all hauling farming stuff. It would be far more practical to rent a truck when needed or just hire some guys to move stuff that one time they buy a big screen tv to haul home.

Semi-automatic firearms have commonly been around since the 1930s. If I got back in to skeet or trap, I’d get a semi-auto this time because I’d always be using the exact same load in the shells. I sold off my nice over and under long back because it’s simply very expensive to make a quality two-barrel break action shotgun. Not only do double barrel guns require two barrels but the barrels must be as light as possible. On top of that, I think a “simple over and under” has more moving parts than a semi-auto. Semi-autos are really simple. So long as you always use the same shells.

Semi-auto pistols are simple to manufacture and assemble. So long as you always use the same ammunition. If you are old enough, you remember a span of Glock .40 cal going “kaboom”, blowing up in people’s hands. It was foisted in the consumer that if you buy a gun you need to buy ammunition made in a factory because that’s how it is.

You have to have more and more and more capacity in bigger and bigger and more powerful cartridges for a gun you mostly use to show to people, argue with your girlfriend about, carry around or keep in your house and chat on the internet about.

Most people buying guns today are not getting more than a few hours training, not putting more than 200 rounds down range, and are happy making pizza pan sized groups at 5 yards. I saw a guy manage to hit the floor shooting at a 10 yard target at the indoor range this winter.

Let’s define some of the fun games that Marketing has foisted on our sport:

Self Defense. Rules: you have to carry the gun around all day. Let’s all buy stuff without listening to people that do this for a living. Let’s not discuss the number of times we actually shot a bad guy.

Home Defense. Not much fun as the answer is “get a dog” but that’s the pet industry. Next best answer is get a shotgun. Marketing found a use for all those factory blemish butt stocks! Cut em down, making the shotgun damn near useless. Then sell “wrist braces” to solve a problem that never existed before. Marketing Genius. Do not inform consumer that once they have a dog and a shotgun that they can go bird hunting because then the consumer will not be available to absorb advertising for entire days on end.

Combat. Pretend to be a soldier, except soldiers adapt to their issued weapons. Note that actual soldiers deal with return fire and it’s the opposite of fun.

Historical Collectors. Not much offered here except some goofy attempts to sell .22 rifles that sort of look like M1s or M14s. Actual historical collectors are a pain in Marketing’s butt as most of them make a sport of buying guns second hand.

Hunters and Target Shooters. Avoid. This leads to the dreaded “reloader” and Lee’s products really are good and inexpensive. Not much money in buying new inventions that don’t work or don’t work any better than what they have.

Cowboy Action. Avoid. These nuts start out buying about three new guns but then start swapping and trading with their pals. See Historical Collectos, Target Shooters, and Reloaders, above. If only we could get these folks buying more period costumes! Clothing has a great profit margin! Note to marketing: plan to convince Cowboy Action Shooters to stop buying period clothing made in America.

Zombie Hunters. In case civilization falls, we need... discuss.
Rules
1: assume WallyWorld is still open and getting ammunition in 5 years is no issue or the answer is always a bow or a muzzle loader.
2: assume that a guy with a sniper rifle won’t shoot you from 300 yards then come take your pistol.
3: assume no one has an AK variant because they would come take your AR and the flashlight, $900 scope, flash suppressor, laser, and waffle iron that you bolted on to the extended Picatinny rail.
4: assume zombies are not attracted to loud noises because otherwise it’s hard to beat a good garden spade for bashing zombies on the head.

Dinosaur Hunting. Do not confuse with Hunting, subcategory dangerous game or subcategory Elk/Moose. This is a fun game where participants fire off far more firepower than they will ever practically need. Note to marketing: be sure to invent something ridiculous that we can sell factory ammo for,because those pesky hand loaders, although they invented this game, keep cutting in to our profit margins!

Build a 10/22. Take a $200 wallyworld Ruger squirrel gun then drop a thousand dollars in parts on it! Fun! Note to marketing: if we could make the little tiny rifle assemble from 2 parts, we can charge even more, and sell fancy bags!
Rule 1: ignore that any bolt action .22 has no idea what “stove pipe”, “failure to feed” and “lightweight buffer spring and bolt to fire CCI Quiet ammunition” means and will shoot the lights out of anything for comparable price until we get to the Anschutz level of play.
Rule 2: after replacing every single part of a 10/22 including the receiver, you are still allowed to call it a 10/22.

NFA Envy. Advanced game for those that use skill at filling out paperwork to make their friends at the range jealous. Limited market.
—-

Me? Right now I am playing “Build a 10/22.”

I am about to start playing “Which do I like better- this 65 year old Ithaca Model 37 or this 50 year old Wingmaster.” With a side of “This pup needs to smell pheasants.”

Long term, I might get in to “Can I get Grandpa’s Remington sporterized M1903 for every rifle job a Rimfire rifle can’t quite handle?”

I continue to play “Hiking and plinking in the woods” at least 3 times a week. My favorite targets are old shotgun hulls I police off the ground that other fellas left behind. Set em on a log and it’s a fun challenge with a little Bearcat. Pine cones are good, too and no need to pick them up after killing them. Next fall, I intend to play “my squirrel gun will make you jealous” but it means walking back quite a ways because with any kind of support my beautiful walnut and blued steel bolt action rimfire makes a mockery of plinking accuracy.

I am playing “if you could only have X number of guns, what would you keep”. Although I don’t keep count, my goal is to not have even one “meh, it’s okay” firearm in my safe. I want them all to be favorites.

This got really long winded. Conclusion:

1. Just buy a Glock 20. Done. You just played “I want a big Glock.”

If not,

Plan B- join a club that does some form(s) of competition. Before buying anything, go to some club events. Watch, listen, ask if you can help with anything. Ask if someone can help you get started. There is no substitute for real world experience. (No substitute for scientific theory, either.) Plenty of substitutes for just buying a gun without a place to shoot or a plan to learn how to shoot well. Come join the fun.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it, Jason92's handgun experience seems to be limited to Hollywierd, Innerwebz, and COD. So many times in the past, a very common (and very logical) answer to the OP's questions and queries has been to direct him/her to a range where a shop/friend/acquaintance/etc can rent or loan to him a number of different options... and start out on a .22lr.

Mr. Meyer also said it well- "Go ye forth and attend a class." If the OP jumps in with both feet with a 10mm or bigger when he's not even ready for a 9mm- that just may be bad juju right there.

Sig P229 DAK in 357 SIG.

All the goodness of a .357 Magnum revolver in self defense horsepower.

Twice the capacity of a revolver.

Double action, just like a revolver.

(Since I’m not quite sure exactly what your looking for it meets the criteria of “something like a revolver but more like a glock”)

(Since I’m not quite sure exactly what your looking for it meets the criteria of “something like a revolver but more like a glock”)

maybe ill just keep it at caliber's,specifically

.44 caliber revolver,would they have anything like this.only availible in a pistol instead of just a revolver

i know they have .357 mag glocks but ive never seen a .44 mag in something other then a revolver,or would a .357 be better anyway

Last edited:
So many times in the past, a very common (and very logical) answer to the OP's questions and queries has been to direct him/her to a range where a shop/friend/acquaintance/etc can rent or loan to him a number of different options

eh,really.im just lookin for advice and im not to serious at the moment.obviously,before i seriously think about buying something,ill go to a gun range and try some stuff out

and “a Glock” because “Glock means polymer semi-auto” to the general Public.

i didnt read all of what you posted,but the whole glock thing was just an example.besides desert eagle all ive really looked at were glocks.if there was something besides a glock i wouldnt be against getting it

Home Defense. Not much fun as the answer is “get a dog” but that’s the pet industry. Next best answer is get a shotgun.

in terms of shotguns,i dont know.my problem with shotguns is.you have to reload them 1 shell at a time,to me it just seems easier to take a 12-15 round magazine for a handgun and throw it in a pistol and then reload then to pray that i kill the guy with a shotgun before i have to reload

and i know they make magazines for shotguns now.but ive heard they sucked, also it just seems like assault rifles and pistols are more interesting in terms of defense then shotguns to me

Last edited:
Jason, we told you the answer. Get a Glock 20.

Here is why:

1. Easy to resell with higher retained value for the common market.

2. You can load a bunch of bullets in it.

3. It’s really powerful.

4. You can find one at your local gun store.

5. It will pretty much always go “boom”

I tried to explain, let me try again.

A. No one is really going to invade your home. You haven’t installed premium locks on your doors, so this is just a game. Oh, burglars might come to steal your Glock if you are not home because it’s an easy $500.

B. Shotguns ... a Mossberg 500 holds about 12 self defense Aguila shells, maybe 14.

C. Not being able to shoot 12 times isn’t any better than not being able to shoot. It might be worse.

D. With a Glock 20 you can talk with your pals online about “home defense” AND “What if I get attacked by a BEAR??”. We love that topic, too.

E. Desert Eagle. Have you got $1500? Maybe you can find one in .44 magnum or .50 AE. Be aware that if you don’t know how to shoot it, you can easily jam it by limp wristing. At $2.00 a bullet, practice is gonna cost you. Let’s be real, turning you loose with a 50 AE is only good for making YouTube blooper videos. You’ll shoot yer eye out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back