What The Heck Is This?

Gun #12

Ok, heres post dinner gun #12. "ENGLAND" stamped in metal band above trigger guard on left side. Serial number engraved on right side of action (see pic 12b), and more info in pic 12c. This gun is beautiful!

Attachments

• Gun #12.jpg
    Gun #12.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Gun 12b.jpg
    Gun 12b.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Gun 12c.jpg
    Gun 12c.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 50
No 12 is a British WW II era No. 5 "Jungle Carbine" caliber .303 British. It is the short version of the No 4 infantry rifle. They are pretty much the final developments of the Lee Enfield rifles that first came out in the late 19th century and stayed in British Commonwealth service at least through Korea.

Gun #12 is a No 5 Mark 1 Lee-Enfield, also known as a "Jungle Carbine", because it was originally designed for troops who would have to fight the Japanese in SE Asia. It's chambered in .303 British, and though they were certainly easier to carry in the jungle, they were not known for accuracy. This one was made at Fazakerly in the UK, in 1944.

Gun#13

Thanks again Jim. Gun #13 could definitely be used as a boat anchor if it ever becomes inop (heavy). It's not in the best shape, and has some rust on barrel. After some trial and error on some of the other rifles, Im pretty sure pretty sure the bayonette goes with this one..

Thanks!

Attachments

• Gun `13c.jpg
    Gun `13c.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 58
  • Gun 13b.jpg
    Gun 13b.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Gun #13.jpg
    Gun #13.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 115
Blasphemy! #13 is a Garand M1 rifle made by Springfield Armory, but re-imported by Blue Sky Arms of Arlington, Virginia.

"Blasphemy! #13 is a Garand M1 rifle made by Springfield Armory, but re-imported by Blue Sky Arms of Arlington, Virginia.
Today 08:41 PM "

I take it the re-importing detraqcts from the value?

In this particular case, maybe somewhat; most Garands had to be re-imported from overseas (it was the standard US Army rifle during WW2, and couldn't be re-imported without proper paperwork). Blue Sky's Garands have a so-so reputation among shooters, but if yours is a good shooter, it may be in demand. The fact that they stamped their import marks into the side of the barrel in a highly-visible way didn't help; most of the buyers of these rifles prefer to have one that looks as close to 'as-issued" as possible, so most importers make their marks small and put them in a spot where they don't stand out.

Gun #14

Ok, I can readily admit I know about as much about guns as I do about photography, but I think this ones a real basket case. As you can see in the pics, there are sheet metal screws run through the side of the receiver, as well as the forestock, and the engravings on top of receiver are scratched through (swear it wasn't me) . To top it off, there is a screw running straight down behind the rear of the bolt,preventing any action of the action (Is this thing French or what?).
I'm thinking this thing was re-arsenaled at Sally Struthers school of gunsmithing, or Grandpa swiped it off the hearth at Cracker Barrel!
Gotta go mix another drink after this one ha!

p.s. there is a huge crack in the top of the stock....

Attachments

• Gun #14.jpg
    Gun #14.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 112
  • gun 14b.jpg
    gun 14b.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Gun 14c.jpg
    Gun 14c.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 64
#14 is a Lebel M1886/93, made at the St. Etienne Arsenal in france, and used by the French during WW1; these rifles are chambered in 8mm Lebel, which is hard to find. The screw at the back of the bolt would have originally been a flat-headed, blued wood screw, that had clearance for the bolt to pass over it.

Gun #15

This one appears to be a 12 G shotgun fitted with a ramrod. There is a piece of tape on the stock on which says "fire cap to dislodge plastic in barrel". Not quie sure what that means. I'm assuming this is black powder? Looks like this collection has a little bit of everything...

Attachments

• Gun #15.jpg
    Gun #15.jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Gun #15b.jpg
    Gun #15b.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Gun #15c.jpg
    Gun #15c.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 50
As marked No 15 is a Harrington and Richardson Huntsman 12 gauge muzzleloading shotgun, built on a conventional single barrel shotgun receiver for economy and convenience.

Although a shotgun, it has sights which tells me it was meant for use with slug or ball. There is one state where a muzzleloader must be a smoothbore to be eligible for "primitive weapons" hunting season and this would have been the cheapest approach while the Huntsman was in production.

(They also made Huntsman rifles, which were very popular here for their low price and similar operation to a single barrel shotgun.)

I do not understand the bit about "fire cap to dislodge plastic in barrel." Although firing a cap alone might blow out a light obstruction like a piece of plastic, the question remains, how did the plastic get in there to start with and why did it do it regularly enough that the gun was labeled for it?
The breech plug comes out of these pretty easily and I would think it simpler and quieter just to remove it and push any plastic out with the ramrod.
But people do strange things to guns.

Thanks for that detailed description Jim. I was going to remove the tape, but decided to leave it in case it might correlate to a safety issue should somebody decide to fire it.
I'm turning in fo the eve, but want to thank everyone again for their time and knowledge, and hopefully I'll be able to post more of my collection tomorrow.

Gun#16

Ok, this one was pretty straight forward, as it seems to be a reproduction of sorts. It's a Kentuckian model 5009 .45 black powder imported by Armsport,
made in Italy. Has an interesting octogon shaped barrel.
Any idea when this might have been made?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Gun#16.jpg
    Gun#16.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 67
Correct, it is a reproduction cap and ball muzzleloading "Kentucky" rifle.
Octagon barrels were pretty much standard in them there days, easier to shape on small shop equipment than round.

Somewhere in the Italian proof test markings - maybe on the bottom flat of the barrel under the stock - there should be a date code. Two letters in a square box is the most usual form. If you see it, post it and I will look up the date. They have been making guns like that for 30 years or more.

Gun#17

Might have previously posted this one, but have lost track. this one came out of a cardboard box, and looks new but cannot cofirm. Box also had a spare clip and adjustable rear sights, along with manuals. Look like it was imported from a company in Atlanta. Manual says SKS. Whats the difference between sks and ak47?
thanks!

Attachments

• Gun#17.jpg
    Gun#17.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Gun#17b.jpg
    Gun#17b.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 45
That's a Chinese SKS. Fires the same cartridge as the AK-47 (7.62x39). The SKS was introduced shortly before the AK-47. It has a 10 round integral box mag, whereas the AK has a removable mag. (Some SKSs had higher capacity integral mags and others had removable mags, but 10 round integral is the standard configuration).

Gun #18

Thanks Chipperman! Gun #18 appears to be a small cal shotgun (410?). Says Midland gun Co---England on left side of barrel, and Armsport Inc, Miami FL on right. Although in excellent shape, seems to be a low quality, high production gun.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Gun # 18.jpg
    Gun # 18.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Gun #18b.jpg
    Gun #18b.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 31
AC date code on gun No 16 is 1977 manufacture.

In spite of markings for England and Florida, gun No 18 is probably of Russian manufacture at the Baikal plant, sold all over the world by different distributors. Even Remington is selling that same gun now, except 12 gauge only.

Q: Is it MARKED .410? Looks like a bigger gauge than that.

Back