What The Heck Is This?

Gun #6

Ok, this rifles in kinda rough shape. On the top of the breech is stamped 1955, underneath which is the number 26. Under the 26 is the SN# 3063517. SN on bolt does not match the others. 7.62mm stamped on rear of receiver.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Gun #6.jpg
    Gun #6.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 173
Just a suggestion...

While there is absolutely nothing wrong with your pictures the way the are, there are a couple of things you might consider to make it easier to evaluate the firearm in question.

Try to remove anything from the picture that is not relevant to what you what identified. An old white bed sheet draped over your wire shelf would suffice, better yet spread it out on a table, counter, or even the floor and shoot it there (the picture, not the rifle;)).

If you can use natural light instead of the flash, your pictures won't have glare. Outside is best, if that's not an option, take the picture in front of a large window or sliding glass door. Even a couple of desk lamps will do in a pinch.

Use the macro setting on your camera for close-ups such as proof marks, receiver shots, etc. You will need to be within four inches or so on most cameras. (The crest on the Ariska would be an example)

I don't mean to suggest that there is anything wrong with your pictures, just thought it might be helpful. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

pic quality

Hey Dr S.

Thanks for your photo tips. I'm a complete FNG when it comes to guns, let alone photography, andf will definitely take your tips into consideration. I have been trying not to use the flash, due to obvious glare reasons.
To show my appreciation, my next pic will look less novice-like.
Thanks again!

Gun #7

On one side of the breech it says MOD 1908. On top of the breach is a star wot the words Estados Unidos Do Brasil. Left side of breech says fabrica de Itajuba. SN is 4986. Barrel says 7mm. Sporterized?any value?
thanks!

Attachments

• Gun # 7.jpg
    Gun # 7.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 136
It is a 1908 Brazilian Mauser, caliber 7mm Mauser, also known as 7x57 (caliber - case length.)

Yours was made under license in Brazil rather than being imported from Germany. It looks in original military configuration, not sporterized.

Gun #8

Thanks Jim. Heres Gun# 8. This one says "FABRICA DE (illegible word) in an arch pattern over what looks like a bird with arms? Beneath this bird figure says LA CORONA, underneath which is the date 1943. Side of breech says cal. 7.62, while front of barrel says 308 win. It says CAI ST ALB VT above 308 win. Oh, left side of breech says FR8=18649.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Gun #8.jpg
    Gun #8.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 117
You have a Spanish FR-8.

It was originally built at La Coruna arsenal in Spain under license from Mauser as an 8mm very like German WW II issue.

It was later converted to 7.62 NATO and the sights changed to resemble the CETME automatic rifle, with the tube under the barrel to resemble the auto's action tube. They were for border patrol and second line troops to free up the CETME autos for first class infantry. It was surplused and imported here by Century Arms International and marked with their logo (as required by law) and stamped .308 to let us colonials know what the US commercial round equivalent to 7.62 NATO is.

Gun#9

This gun says Hakim 7.9mm Made in Egypt on the right side of receiver. Has what looks like a flash suppressor on muzzle. Says CAI ST ALB VT behind muzzle. Gun is 47.5" long.Second pic is left side of stock, which has SN painted on it ( This # matches one on receiver. How do I close the action on this thing? Got it open, but cannot close.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Gun 9b.jpg
    Gun 9b.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Gun #9.jpg
    Gun #9.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 124
Gun #10

Thanks Jim. I was able to close it without losing any fingers.
Heres #10. Front of Barrel says M917629 SWITZ. Serial # 28717. Second pic shows what I'm guessing is a makers mark of some sort.

Attachments

• Gun #10b.jpg
    Gun #10b.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Gun #10.jpg
    Gun #10.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 132
Gun 10 is a pretty good, uncommon, and probably fairly valuable, rifle.

It's a Finnish rework of a Soviet Moisin Nagant. It's an earlier one because it has the octagonal (instead of round) reciever.

The "S" marking on it I believe signifies the Finnish Civil Guard. As I understand it, rifles with this marking are kind of uncommon here.

You should be able to close the action on the Hakim by removing the magazine (the latch is at the rear of the mag), and then pulling the triangular top cover to the rear and easing it forward (it will be under spring tension), then replacing the magazine again. These rifles were designed to be clip-loaded from the top of the rifle, but all variations of the Llungman are known to have an appetite for fingers.

Thanks SDC

Action closed, all digits intact.

Thanks for the compliment K squared. I'm slowly but surely learning as I go, with the help of everyone here!

Gun #11

Ok, this one is kind of strange, as there are no serial #'s anywhere that I can find. Pics #2 and 3 depict the only engraving I could find, wit the exception of the letters FJA engraved on left side of stock .
Hmm...

Attachments

• Gun #11b.jpg
    Gun #11b.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Gun 11c.jpg
    Gun 11c.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 100
  • Gun #11.jpg
    Gun #11.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 107
No 11 is a 1903-A3, WW II economy model of the 1903 Springfield.
RA 5-43 means the barrel at least was made by Remington in May, 1943. The whole gun might well be a Remington 1903-A3.
FJA stands for Frank J. Atwood, the chief QC inspector for the army in that district.

It has been lightly sporterized by adding the strap on cheek piece seen on some of the other military rifles here, installing a scope sight (serial number and maker are under the front of the scope base) and taking off the handguard (the wood covering the top of the barrel so you don't burn your hand on a hot barrel when making a bayonet attack.) A handguard could be found, but the holes drilled for the scope mount will detract from collector's interest and resale value.

Back