What Semi-Auto's are Left at Your LGS?

I have a very good 'LGS' and an Academy Sports nearby.

Academy - went there yesterday. Handguns are 95% gone. There were a few .22 revolvers, couple of Springfield polymers, a Taurus TX22, and a couple others that escape my memory. Only handgun ammo I saw was a few boxes of 22.

My local gunstory is fairly picked over, but better. 2-3 1911's, some CZs...they look to be down about 70%. Their consignment case is better stocked - not like usual, but around 80% of capacity. Being a seller's market that makes sense - I'll be adding one of mine there tomorrow :)

My local big box sporting goods store seemed to have decent stock, especially used. I bought a S&W m&p sport II for $750 out the door - they had over 20 in inventory for a fair price despite the numerous sellers I’ve seen on gunbroker charging $850. 9mm ammo was picked clean but they had a lot of 22lr, 10mm and 45acp. I ordered a S&W handgun from a different store a month ago and am still waiting.

Mentioning new shooters:

import bans from China, the USA's number one maker of guns safes, we're going to see the US only scourge of youth suicide by gun for years to come from all this panic buying.

I for one am not seeing hardly any "Stack-On" saves anywhere online and it's the largest brand in America. Though Stack-On is total file cabinet level 18gauge steel junk, it's something. But you almost can't buy them.

Regarding ammo availability, the big box sporting goods store where I bought my AR had a 1000 limit on ammo, which I think is fairly generous. If they lowered the limit it might give others a chance to get some, kinda like the TP apocalypse from a few months ago. I need some .223 rem and 5.56 nato and when I checked, the store had quite a few ammo cans of 5.56 nato, but it was 800 rounds for around $450. Ironic too that there were tons of shotgun loads to be had but not a single defensive shotgun to be purchased.

As for new, inexperienced gun owners buying firearms for the first time, it's surprising but let's not assume either that none of them will take safety courses. There are dummies everywhere so there will likely be some that accidentally shoot themselves or others, but I don't think it'll be as bad as it sounds. I ordered a handgun last month and bought an AR the other day. I have no experience with either, but I am familiar with the 4 firearms safety rules and did take a hunter safety course 10 yrs ago. I'm comfortable using a bolt-action, pump action and lever action but that's about it. I also plan on taking safety/defense courses so that I know how to use my handgun and AR.

To be honest, even the current gun owners haven't done even "good" about securing guns from kids.

In my state of Utah, suicide by gun is the leading death of youth under 18.

I hope the gun community picks up the secure messaging. I haven't seen it.

I drove 100 miles last week to purchase a Sig P365 from Cabelas in Buda, Tx. The price was $499.99 + tax, which was a great price. They held it for me as they had three left. While I was there waiting for my "number" to come up for service, they sold the other two. What's weird is that the 800 order number for Bass Pro and Cabelas, which is supposed to be able to survey the stock on an item throughout the country, didn't show these guns there. I was lucky enough to call and talk to a store employee. Academy's in the Houston area are extremely picked over as well.

And if you think pistols and ammo are in short supply, try to buy small pistol primers to reload with! They are scarcer than unicorn teeth! I've managed to amass 6000 and the most I've paid is $5.00/100. I've seen them going on gunbroker.com for $10.00/100, 3x their normal price! The sad thing is that many LGS owners are saying it might be at least a year before things get back to normal. And if the unthinkable happens and we have a non compos mentis dementia patient in the White House in November, who knows when things might return to "normal"?

Last edited:
I was in Scheels in Des Moines and they have just about everything in the $600 and up range. Fleet Farm still had Sigs, FN's, and Berettas, but again, mostly high end models.

I was at LGS today and while their stock was low they had plenty of 9MM pistols including P365, Shields, and PPS and others in compact and full size. Glocks in particular were almost all sold out with about half a dozen misc ones left in the case but no 26/19/17/45/43/43X/48. They had over 50 M&Ps in the case. Only S&B 9MM ammo for $17 a box of 50 but limit of one box.

I was at a Sportsmans Warehouse in Las Vegas a week ago. The firearms/firearm ammo and gear areas looked as though they had been recently overrun by gypsies. No offense to gypsies.

Need something for a project I'm working on Stopped bt Farm & Home, so out of curiosity I checked the gun counter. Full long gun racks, with the exception of the usual several AR and AK varieties.
Handgun cases pretty much full. SA, and DA revolvers, Semi autos, and all with variety of calibers available. Ammo was full except for almost anything handgun.

It doesn't matter what guns are availale at my LGS ... they NEVER have what I am looking for so I stopped even bothering to go there and look.

Most of them were at Shoot Point Blank today, in Memphis. The pricier new handguns always are available in a wide variety of .380, 9mm, .45 etc.

:rolleyes:It was Burglarized about three nights ago. They Broke In the back door.

Among the 30 guns stolen, most were Rental Handguns.

Before the burglary I was there three times since the panic began.
* The only display case which remains almost empty is labeled "Used 9mm" ;).

The only real panic here is for the lower-priced guns, which doesn't indicate, to me, any high anxiety. A true panic would have claimed the higher-priced 9mm and .45 Auto.

Last edited:
I was just at one today picking up an FFL transfer. I looked over their cases. Of maybe 30 guns, 5 were revolvers - all used. Of the rest, there were a couple P365s, a new P320 with the laser built in to the frame, an FN, and some Springfield XD models. I couldn't tell the others just by looking at them.

Later this afternoon, I went to Cabela's. I couldn't get near the gun counter even to look at what they had left. They cordoned off the whole section. You had to get a number when you walked in the store if you knew you wanted to buy a gun. No impulse buying allowed here! Their used case and the collectible room were pretty bare, although they did have about 15 Smith M&P .45 police trade-ins ranging from $429 to $459.

Cowboy-like revolvers are plentiful. It's like the vegan section in the grocery store before a hurricane hits - fully intact.

For the last few months, the Academys, the Cabela's and the locals have had bare display cases and shelves. Seeing this and with this uncertain election, I still sold a pistol and then purchased a pistol at a gun show this past weekend. I knew I could get the pistol cheaper if I would have waited, but I've only seen what I wanted, a Sig P365 XL, right at the outset of the pandemic and rioting and not any since.

Earlier today, I was on an ammo safari, stopping at a couple of LGSs, an Academy and a Cabela's. Cabela's had very few handguns, but more than they had about a week before when I was there last AND they had the Hornady SST 123 gr 6.5 Grendel, which I didn't even know they carried since I checked online a few months back. Still, no 9mm at any of the stores.

I then go up to GT Distributors in Austin, TX where they had about 50 boxes of Blazer aluminum 115 gr for less than $14. Similar ammo was going for $32-$36 per box at that gun show the week before. Well, the limit was two boxes of 'training' ammo so I picked up a couple of boxes. I drove about a 100 miles on my safari, but at least I got WHAT I needed WHEN I needed it, just like purchasing that P365 XL at the gun show...by the way, they had full display cases to my surprise. An of course, they had a P365 XL with a LE price for about $120 less than i paid.UGH!!! Again, I knew I could get one eventually and at a cheaper price, but me being me and all...

I'm guessing GT Distributors, since they provide for LE, are well-stocked. Just for your information, guys/gals.

Back