What Semi-Auto's are Left at Your LGS?

In an attempt to find ammo, I stopped by Cabela’s a few days ago. They had an impressive amount of S&W and Ruger revolvers, but the semi-autos were pretty picked over. It looked like they had a few Shields and one or two XD models, but customers did seem to be able to order a few more models if they were willing to wait a few days for them to come in. Seemed like there were a lot of new buyers in the line who are in for a rude awakening when they try to find practice ammo.

No offense 44cal but I see a lot of "out of stock" and over-priced firearms on Brownell's website.
The OP was asking what semi-autos were still left in gun stores, price not being relevant during "shortage" conditions. I was in Brownells brick and mortar store in Grinnell, Iowa, not in the on-line store. Everything I saw was physically there. Yes they do have some expensive guns. And most of their prices right now are full retail. But I still find good priced guns there, but you have to be there when it happens. But some stores are charging about 25% over retail. I know one shop who has a lot of high end AR's and competition pistols and he still has them.

The gunshops in Houston have pistols but they sell quickly. I buy a lot of guns on line. Trying to find a good 9mm or 45 ACP on Bud's or Palmetto right now isn't easy either. This thread should scare the hell out of you. Way, way too many people who don't know a 1911 from a Ruger Blackhawk are running out and buying pistols and self-defense shotguns and AR-15's. Some are getting properly trained but you can rest assured most aren't. Scared people with guns that don't know how to use them creates a very dangerous situation.

Guns and ammo are bare. And this is a popular store. The range which is usually busy is dead. So easy for me to walk right in and have a bay to myself.
What I found as the most interesting thing was that the staff, which I have known for years, were all new faces.
I asked one of the newbies what was going on, where was so and so and he said they all quite and found new jobs.
Did they feel the market will not be there in the near future? I have no idea. Hopefully will run into one some day and find out.

So we can all admit that currently the availability/price outlook is poor, right? Lol.

Patience, grasshopper.

Plenty of pistols at my LGS yesterday (southeast MN). Full shelves.
Only thing they were out of was 9mm ammo and small pistol primers.

On Monday I set out to my LGS to try to put three pistols on consignment. Gen 2 G 22 40 S&W, Gen 2 G 23 40 S&W, and Gen 3 G 35 40 S&W. The first store said no thank you. Interestingly a customer asked what I wanted for the G 22. I said $300 and he bought it on the spot, cash money. I knew his father who was a LEO who worked with my son.

I went to the second LGS who said 40 S&W was not selling; no thank you.

On Tuesday I posted a for sale note at our local public gun range. Each pistol with 100 rounds of FMJ ammo for $350 OBO. So far no calls.

Interesting thoughts about the subject of people buying guns with zero experience. Got a text from a friend proudly proclaiming his partner, who has never even touched a pistol before, had just bought herself a new Hellcat.

Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but for a completely inexperienced shooter, a 9mm Hellcat or any other micro pistol might be #300 on a list of 305 guns to start with.

I will be giving them both lessons with the Four Rules first and foremost, but this is a trend we are eyeing and it ain’t pretty. Too many people buying that “magic talisman” with absolutely no clue on how to safely (not to mention, legally) use it, and perhaps too many counter workers more than willing to push whatever they have.

With rights come responsibilities, and People like us who are on this particular forum should all continue to try to educate those people into getting some responsible training.

I've seen both ends of the spectrum at this point. An LGS 15 miles north had full display cases with reasonable prices on all sorts of handguns. Their ammo stock was low, but they had some in the common calibers and the prices were quite reasonable. Today I stopped at a shop 20 miles south that had a limited supply of handguns and barely any common caliber ammo and their prices were severely gouged. $38 for a 500 round brick of Aguilla 22lr. $995 for a used Sar K2 45. That'll be the last time I enter that place.

Interesting thoughts about the subject of people buying guns with zero experience. Got a text from a friend proudly proclaiming his partner, who has never even touched a pistol before, had just bought herself a new Hellcat.

Now, I don’t know about the rest of you, but for a completely inexperienced shooter, a 9mm Hellcat or any other micro pistol might be #300 on a list of 305 guns to start with.

I will be giving them both lessons with the Four Rules first and foremost, but this is a trend we are eyeing and it ain’t pretty. Too many people buying that “magic talisman” with absolutely no clue on how to safely (not to mention, legally) use it, and perhaps too many counter workers more than willing to push whatever they have.

With rights come responsibilities, and People like us who are on this particular forum should all continue to try to educate those people into getting some responsible training.

For me a Hellcat would be a higher on the list than 300/305, even though I don’t particularly care for the pistol. I can think of a number of options I would consider worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the actual gun shops in my town are stripped. The ace hardware near my house that sells guns but has awful prices still has two glock 21’s, two glock 20’s, two xd 45’s, a Glock 17, a half dozen various 1911’s and a bizarre amount (approximately 8) of smith and Wesson “Air Lite” snub nose revolvers in .22 mag.

My goto store deals mainly with used firearms and they are so depleted that I only go by about twice a month instead of weekly. My other two favorites are much better stocked, one having a bit of empty space whereas the other is almost overstocked. One thing I did notice was the first still has the best prices in town on "new" firearms while the second has raised their prices at least 10-20%, but, they do have just about everything.

I hear the LGS I usually go to is more empty then usual. But as there is a 2 hour wait time standing in line due to covid I haven't been in for a few months and it will probably be at least a few more .

Local stores have some guns, but the background check takes forever (unless you have a CCW and can skip it).

Real shortage is ammo. No 9mm at all. Plenty of shotgun.

My neighbor just picked up a Hellcat as his wife’s first gun. It was not his first choice, but it was the only 9mm in stock besides some of the higher-end Sig Sauers. My area is still being hit hard as far as shortages go, so I’m actually kind of impressed that Springfield is keeping up their shipments. I think my neighbor’s wife will do fine with the Hellcat because he signed his entire family up for the state LTC class and has paid for some additional instruction. That will put his wife way ahead of most new gun owners regardless of what handgun she uses.

Used, lower-priced handguns seem to be the main shortage--that's the only shortage I've spotted in display cases.

$850 HK USPs, Walther PPQs, various 9mm and 10mms, .45s seem to be plentiful, i.e. at our ShootPointBlank and Classic Arms (Cordova TN) along with other.......

...>>>New, retail handguns<<<.

A true panic would have cleaned out the $700-$900 * new * handguns as soon as they are stocked. Our Armslist is stuffed with handguns.

:)Ammo for semi-auto handguns (.22LR and types >.32 Auto) and rifles is the Actual, True Panic.
;)The guns are just a convenient "make good copy" headline for the media.

Last edited:
Back