What Semi-Auto's are Left at Your LGS?

Someone mention self defense ammo is plentiful. Seeing HST/Gold Dot is still widely available at normal prices, it shows you how nonsense all this is.

If you really think you need ammo, like REALLY need it, you don't think HST over FMJ?......ok. Good luck with clean water flowing in your toilets and sinks in the world you need millions of FMJ rounds for personal protection.

No sense.

Someone mention self defense ammo is plentiful. Seeing HST/Gold Dot is still widely available at normal prices, it shows you how nonsense all this is.

If someone can link me to online sellers that have Gold Dots or HST at "normal" prices, please do so. Everywhere I look I see it for $0.70-$0.80 a round, when before this it was below $0.60 a round.

If you really think you need ammo, like REALLY need it, you don't think HST over FMJ?......ok. Good luck with clean water flowing in your toilets and sinks in the world you need millions of FMJ rounds for personal protection.

Were I of the mentality that the world was actually collapsing, I don't think I'd care whether it was FMJ or JHP. I'd stock up on what I could and moreso what I could for the most effective price. That usually isn't premium defensive ammo. As for clean water being more important than ammunition, well yeah. That's always been true with any of these panic periods, still doesn't stop people.

Edit: Last time I bought it was closer to $0.60 a round, not $0.50.

Last edited:
Vista (Federal/Speer) forced the MRP to $30 over a year ago and ALMOST forced the LE only restriction. That lasted about a month last year and right after that restriction was listed, LE get discount of $20 and public gets it for $40.
(https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/9ksuhi/sudden_federal_hst_price_increase/)

Stores were allowed to sell remainder stock for the regular $20, but after that it was MRP of $40 with a few occasional stores quickly doing a $34 "sale" that actually broke Vista's MRP.

I was purchasing HST from SGammo for $29.95 a box back in September, not as long as a year ago. Some are still selling for ~$35 a box besides Bone Frog, which as you mentioned has the restriction. So it may well be that $40 is or has been the new normal, but the timeline you gave doesn't completely match my own experience. As for supply, I never said I couldn't get it (the ammoseek link I gave shows a number of options), I said I couldn't get it at the prices I'm used to.

Last edited:
Last time I purchased 9MM HST from SGA it was $23 a box of 50 but that was a couple years ago and I know that SGA upped their price at least a year ago to about where it is at now due to Federal pricing rules.

However the huge increase in demand for 9MM has been for FMJ range/practice ammo and that is where the current shortage is. I have been stocking up during the 2017-2019 buy cheap and stack deep time but many had not and were very surprised to find the shelves bare when they were heading for a trip to the range within the last few months resulting in the huge increase of demand because shooters wanted to avoid that situation again and have enough on hand for at least a few range trips if not for many more.

My LGS is huge and has 63 indoor lanes for their range. When I was there in May they had ZERO 9MM practice ammo and only $30 a box SD ammo to sell for those who needed 9MM ammo for the range which went over like a lead balloon.

In addition to the current shortage of 9MM range/practice ammo, prices have gone up about 40 percent on average from what they were in February when it can be found and going even higher again the last couple weeks to where most places are selling at about 30 cents a round or higher. At this point with current events I would not be surprised demand to stay extremely high for quite a while.

Last edited:
My LGS, where I have a range membership, is also quite large and has, today (just got back from sighting in a new RMR on my HK carry pistol)...

Several P365's, a few Hellcats, several Glock 19 and 17 in various colors, a bunch of polymer and metal CZ variants (mostly higher end models), several M&P variants (mostly full size), several XD variants (ditto on size), a bunch of .22 LR plinkers, some awful Cerakoted 1911's with gaudy graphics, but very few rifles of any sort. Based on what I saw there two weeks ago all the P365 variants, M&P's, XD, and Glocks will be gone in the next 24 hours, and the CZ's- some of which have amazingly good triggers- will likely still be there (they've been there at least 3 weeks already).

Every few weeks they get entry level HK's (VP9) and a few metal SIG and P320 series pistols in, which seem to go fast, along with the odd Legion now and then.

Lots of 115 grain 9mm range ammo (Federal white box) at 14.50 a box, which is steep but they do have it. Glad I don't need it. Plenty of other calibers too including some full house 10MM.

Do you buy self defense at the same ration as range ammo? Of course Self defense ammo is more available. People are buying new guns like crazy and have to break them, in, train with them etc.

I buy a few thousand rds a month of range ammo, buy a box a month of self defense. If I need a self defense to the tune of having to shoot a lot of ammo to defend myself, home or family, of course I will use any ball ammo available.

Checked Farm and Fleet this morning. One Sig 226, a 229, full size 320, and a Sig 1911 with the worn finish and pewter looking stocks with stars on it. Also a Ruger 1911 45 acp

The LGS offerings here are slim pickings. And I’m starting to have concerns about the viability of some of these small businesses who don’t have product to sell. But one of the LGS’s I frequent does great gunsmithing. So it’s a good excuse to get some gunsmithing done on guns I already have. I just got my CZ 75B back from having some trigger work done, and I had a race hammer installed, and I’m very pleased with the results.

My closest LGS has Glocks, Caniks, Rugers, Springfield's, Sig's, Taurus, Sccys, a Sar......

Last edited:
A very large selection of handguns was still available--Friday-- at range/store Shoot Point Blank. This is a retail chain.
Most of the used 9mm handguns were gone. But---this was a very small fraction of the overall quantity.

There were still at least two or three 'new' Walther PPQs.

* At Classic Arms in nearby Cordova/Memphis, the selection of handguns appeared to be >>>normal.<<<, in other words, what they had one, two years ago etc. Sig P229, Beretta 9mm Compact were there Friday.
Maybe that store sold quite a few then recently restocked all of them? Nothing indicated any shortage.

I'm suspicious that some of the "reports" of gun stores being cleaned out are attempts to keep anxiety from Cooling Off...probably reported by some of the guys trying to sell unwanted handguns on Armslist TN etc.;)

Last edited:
West coast of Arizona along the northern part of the river from I40 and up, firearms/firearm supplies at the local gun stores are getting pitiful and have been for a while now.

I see that online at places like Aero Precision, etc., rarely have much these days as well.

After the depression fully kicks in, things may pick up if you have the money.

I was in Brownells store yesterday and they had just about anything you might want.

No offense 44cal but I see a lot of "out of stock" and over-priced firearms on Brownell's website.

Gary's Pawn and Gun in Columbus MS had tons of guns yesterday. We got my wife's S&W 9 EZ out of layaway and I picked up a S&W AR.

Back