What Semi-Auto's are Left at Your LGS?

wmg1299

I stopped by the range and a local Academy yesterday, and could not believe how picked-over everything has gotten. The cases at the range that usually display used guns for sale are now filled with hats and t-shirts, and Academy had less than 5 semi-auto's in stock for people to choose from. Academy had a few higher-dollar Sig Sauer P238's and a couple of the smaller Beretta models. The revolver case was mainly Heritage 22's which I'm guessing were put there just to fill space. The back wall was filled with side-by-side shotguns, and nothing else. Are all the local gun shops this low on stock, or is it mainly just the big box stores in my area? I'm also a little curious to know which gun gets the honor of being the last one to sell.

Here in Florida, it seems any of the popular models are gone as fast as they arrive. The high end stuff and less known brands seem to be in stock.

All Glocks are completely out of stock, Most 9mm Compacts are out of stock (S&W M&P's, CZ P10c's, etc.)

Most sub-compacts are gone as well and so are the .380 pocket guns.

Adequate number of higher end pistols still out there. Sig's in the $1200 - 1700 range. (I don't know Sig model numbers) 1911's by Sig, STI, Dan Wesson, and other factory customs are still out there in the $1200 - $2400 range.
Still plenty of everything on GunBroker, but prices are higher than 3 months ago.
At least if you feel you have to get a gun, you'll probably get a good one.

A friend's shop that normally has about 100 handguns on display had about 15 earlier this week. Of the 15 3 or 4 were 22s the rest high end 1911 or Sigs. Nothing you would want for CC. He had 1 ragged S&W 380 looked like a Glock or a brick that someone bought when I was there.

My SIL on the Delaware shore just went looking to buy a firearm. She disregarded my long term encouragement to buy one and now cannot find guns or ammo. Her neighbor snagged a pistol,, but cannot get any ammo, or so he says.

Around here I see Glock (mostly 43s and 48s); Caniks, Springfield XDs; S&W M&P; some Tauruses (Taurii?); Sigs, some CZs and a few others mixed in. Not everything in every shop, but there are still several out there.

We closed today with a little Beretta in .25, a S&W Victory .22, and a Ruger MKIV .22.
WooHoo!
To be fair, we also had an AK and one semi-auto Beretta 12g.

It has been a few weeks since I made it to my favorite place to go - Sportsman's Warehouse. At the time, there were a few empty spaces on the handgun wall, but still a reasonable selection of semis and revolvers, and in a variety of calibers. I have always found their prices to be the best of the chain stores, and I did not notice any price gouging. Their rifle and shotgun racks were full and even had some clearance items. Ammo was another story - pretty bare.
Lately I have been looking at a local auction. Prices there are approaching NIB numbers, and that does not take into account the sales tax, buyer's premium (17%!), and auction fees. Here, those all add up to about 30% of the purchase price. Example - Sig P365 sold at $500, but the buyer would have paid close to $650. This gun included one magazine.

I stopped by the range and a local Academy yesterday, and could not believe how picked-over everything has gotten. The cases at the range that usually display used guns for sale are now filled with hats and t-shirts, and Academy had less than 5 semi-auto's in stock for people to choose from. Academy had a few higher-dollar Sig Sauer P238's and a couple of the smaller Beretta models. The revolver case was mainly Heritage 22's which I'm guessing were put there just to fill space. The back wall was filled with side-by-side shotguns, and nothing else. Are all the local gun shops this low on stock, or is it mainly just the big box stores in my area? I'm also a little curious to know which gun gets the honor of being the last one to sell.

Everything's picked over.

One store, a used Beretta 92, a used Sig DA/SA something, used Colt .38, used S&W revolver, some .22s. Some single action revolvers.

Other store, bunch of 1911s, bunch of the 1911 style micro 9s (Sig/Kimber/Springfield/whatever). A handful of Glocks. A few stray other things. About half the revolvers they usually do. Some .22s, some .380s.

Ammo in store 2 is interesting. They seem to be putting out whatever they can find. All the 9mm they have is a small pile of overpriced social purposes 20 round boxes. The have the only .41 Magnum I've ever seen on sale anywhere. And I hope the guy who buys the .38 special blanks pays attention and knows what he's getting.

Last edited:
I got no idea. There is such a crowd that they've had to rope off the handgun counter, and limit the number of people inside, both for "social distancing" and to keep some kind of order for the staff to work with.

I haven't stopped but once since this Corona thing got started. I stood in line, about the sixth person deep, and didn't move for 30 minutes. I got no idea how many were behind me. I decided I didn't need anything that bad, really I was just looking anyway. Haven't been back since. Well, I did drive by one morning, 30 minutes before they were scheduled to open, and there was a half dozen in line at the door, and more walking across the parking lot. Back home.

Same at the range. Only half the lanes in use ("social distancing) and a line to get in. Never mind.

Ammunition and firearms are flying off the shelves where I live in North Dallas at absurd levels. 5.56 and 9mm evaporate the minute they get the shipment in. AR-15's at my LGS were selling at ridiculously higher prices, they are all gone. When I last went to Cabela's, they had hardly any handgun ammo left. Magazines for pistols were gone, and magpuls for AR15's had long been sold out.

Shotgun ammo is plentiful, as are shotguns. There are other stores in my area that I don't go to much, so I can't say about them. The two main places I go to get mobbed every single day. Well, with the exception of one time, a place called Field & Stream in Prosper got a large shipment of 115grain 9mm FMJ from Remington that they were selling for $11.99 for a box of 50, good price. They just got in a huge stock last weekend. A guy in front of me bought thirty (30) boxes. I got 10, as I was nearly out of practice 9mm and I don't handload.

Suffice it to say, business is brisk right now, and people are hoarding also.

Last time I was there they had so few semiautomatic pistols that I remember them all...

Glock 17 Gen 5 FXD (Purchased by me.)
Glock 19
Glock 26
Glock 27
Glock 43
Glock 44
Kimber Custom II
Smith & Wesson M&P9 2.0
Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield 1.0
Smith & Wesson EZ9

Aside from that, the display case was all Revolvers.

Wow, good thing I’m well stocked. I could actually arm and supply my whole neighborhood. Plus enough supplies to load up at least another 10000 rounds in various calibers.

I was at LGS late last week. As far as 9MM they had quite a few Springfield Armory and CZs left. A fair amount of SIGs, including P365, Berettas, HKs, and S&W. They had almost ZERO Glocks and they normally have tons in stock. Used gun cases were almost wiped clean. A whole bunch left in their 1911 cases. Only a few boxes of 9MM range ammo left and in normal times they have several pallets of 9MM on the sales floor and get ammo by the truckload. This is one of the largest gun stores and largest indoor ranges in this part of the state.

Last edited:
I was at the gun store I frequent a couple of weeks ago and put a S&W M&P Shield 9 EZ on layaway for my wife. They had dozens of new hand guns in stock and I don't know how many used ones as they keep most of them in the back. Well over 100 new and used rifles and shotguns. I don't know what they have now but it would have taken a hard run on guns to deplete their in stock supply.

Back