what is your loudest handgun ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you've never heard a pistol length gun that fires a rifle cartridge, you've never heard a loud handgun. The uber-magnum revolver cartridges that run near rifle pressures are probably the exception to that.

My 15" Encore Pro Hunter in 7mm-08 is positively deafening. It's absolutely a double ear protection gun and you DO NOT want to be close to anything resembling a wall when you shoot it.

In terms of traditional handguns, my 3.46" 357sig never fails to get "What the HELL are you shooting down there, son?!" at the indoor range.

10" Draco aka AK-47 pistol firing 7.62x39. Emptying a 30 round mag is painful without ear protection, I've heard.

Don't really have any super powerful handguns. This is about as loud as it gets for me.

My Colt Delta Elite

delta_elite.jpg

My Broomhandle chambered in 30 Mauser came to mind first, then I remembered about my ported Taurus 44 mag, I haven't shot that one in several years.

My Ruger SP101 357 magnum, and my Sig P250 in 357 sig. They are loud in the indoor range.
A guy next to me was shooting a Glock 20 with some handloads. That sucker was LOUD! It was actually distracting me while I was shooting. I finally leaned over while he was reloading and asked him what he was shooting over there.:D

It was my .30 Carbine Blackhawk... 40,000 PSI Max and a 7.5" barrel.
Until...
I got my Ruger GP-100, in .327 Federal. 45,000 PSI Max in a 4.2" barrel that's been Mag-Na-Ported.

It's kinda nasty. And a whole lot of fun.

Right now it's the Lowly 357 snubby. Loudest I ever had was my 444 Marlin Contender with the brake. I would wear plugs and muffs and it was still physically painful to shoot. A close second was my 358 Bower, unbraked but quite the screamer.

I only have one handgun, a S&W 4006, so that would be my loudest. Took me a while to figure that one out :D. It's definitely not as loud as any magnum revolver, but it makes a pretty decent bang when it goes off. I find that at my local range my 4006 (.40 S&W 4'' barrel) seems to be louder than the 9mm's and .45's people bring.

Here's the question How many handgunners have ringing ears? lol

I do, which is the reason I no longer use the .357 for carry or home defense. Absolutely punishing to the ears. My 5" barreled Beretta in 9mm which is my current nightstand pistol pales in comparison to how loud the .357 is.

I have a 500 s@w 83/8 that is a loud brute. I think it would make your ears bleed without protection. I showed this monster to a friend and he said holy crap why do U want such a thing and I said I like it when I show it to a friend and they say HOLY CRAP

Brian is right about rifle cartridges being shot out of pistol-length barrels. I was once shooting next to a guy and he was shooting a 300 win mag rifle. It was loud. Then he started shooting something else that was quite a bit louder. I figured it was a big magnum rifle, like a 375 or a 416 or something... no, it was a TC (contender, encore, not sure which) with about a 10 inch barrel. I asked him what he was shooting out of the TC, and he says "243"... I just could not believe how loud a 243 out of a 10 inch barrel was... I do not know if it was ported, but given the decibels, it probably was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back