What is the worst gun you actually purchased?

Marlin model 60 and hI standard double 9. Marlin would jam literaly on every round and damage the following one I could maybe shoot 4 out of 14 rounds. Double 9 fell apart in my hands literally.

I've seen the Jennings J-22 mentioned a few times. I have one, too. Surprisingly, though, it's not my worst gun. I bought my J-22 in 1985 for $56, and I can't really remember why.

I bought a Jennings J-22 about 20 years ago - still have it too. It is not the worst gun I've purchased either. I have shot the J-22 quite a bit. It is 95% reliable when clean. It is unreliable when dirty - i.e. after about 20-30 rounds, but a simple cleaning will get it functioning ok again. I carried this when I road my motorcycle from Florida to New Mexico. I shot it just to fire it out in the New Mexico desert while I was camping. Worked just fine as I remember. I did suffer some slide-bite snagging the web of my hand from holding it too high, though.

The one I was most disappointed with was a Taurus PT-99 (purchased around 1988). Locking block broke and it ended up scoring the frame rails. I didn't want to start off the thread by mentioning this because I didn't want to turn this into a Taurus bashing thread.

Erma .22 Cal Luger, literally fell apart after so many rounds. A pawn shop purchase I regretted, till I traded it in for a Enfield 2a. I've often regretted getting rid of pieces - not that one.

Keltec PF9 for me. Although it was cheap (price) and very light (good for conceal carry), it kept jamming and failing to eject spent brass.

A dodgey Sterling .22LR semi-auto rifle...>

It was the first firearm I bought for myself. It was cheap but also, unfortunately, quite nasty. The rifle had a 15 round magazine but loading more than 8 round was courting misfeeds. 10 rounds and over and you had guaranteed misfeeds. I bought a new 15 round magazine for it and it performed just the same. The rifle itself seems to work OK when the rounds loaded properly but without reliable feeding it was just frustrating.

Even when loading only 8 or less rounds it would still sometimes misfeed. On a night shoot it misfed but instead of just jamming it lodged a live round vertically upright in the breech with the rim in line with the firing pin. I hadn't noticed this in the dark and using a scope until I fired and there was a dull "boom" with smoke everywhere. Good thing I was wearing glasses, although I wasn't hit by anything. I put the Sterling down and continued with my trusty, very nice, Sportco bolt-action.

I used the Stirling to try out stock refinishing later but never shot it again. Some years later there was a compulsory gun buy-back of semi-autos and I handed it in and got paid more than it cost, and certainly more than it was worth.

Last edited:
Second gun I bought was a Taurus 709 Slim. Should be called Taurus 709 POS! :D Anyway, Bought it new, took it to the range and would not fire. Sent it back to Taurus and waited 8 weeks to get it back just to take it back to the range just to find that it still didn't fire!:mad:

Sent it back a second time and after the second time, I guess Taurus finally decided to fix it right! Anyway, put about a dozen rounds through it and it's been sitting in the safe ever since. Maybe one of these days I will get around to selling it or using it as a paper weight!

Colt Tactical .22/M4.

I bought three before getting one to work. Finally got fed up and swapped it in on a Ruger 77/22. No regrets.

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 Champion. No problems in functioning, just wouldn't group well. My Kimber CDP Ultra could easily outshoot it. Still like some of Springfield's stuff though.

I had a Hipoint C9 with jamming problems but after I sent it back it was ship shape.

Phoenix arms hp22a has had a cracked frame twice but they have awesome customer service and just sent me a new pistol. I bought a rangemaster kit for it(5" barrel) and it couldn't get through 3 rounds.

Reopening an "O-L-D" post. But, I am sure we have a whole NEW collection of "oh, I wish I hadn't bought its" to discuss. I'll lead off with a Remington Viper 22LR. Bought it on a "whim". Didn't need it. Found out a replacement magazine as almost as much as the "Viper" cost. Gun was accurate enough but would jam a lot. It would even get a live round stuck in the spaces between the chamber and the plastic stock. AND, what a pain to disassemble and clean. Sold it a couple of months later as a "loss leader" on my table. Took a loss and yes, I was bitten by the Remington Viper.

A Tarus 9 shot 22lr revolver. I don't remember the model number. I bought it partially so my wife could shoot somthing she felt comfortable with, but the trigger was so rough in double action it was no fun to shoot. No fun = goodbye

A perfect thread!

Taurus PT-101 - Barrel appeared off center in the slide..white dot machined off location on front sight which was conveniently part of the slide….grip was so fat, I had a hard time grasping with my large hand… not surprisingly, it was not very accurate or reliable!

Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded SS(2000ish) - It should have been a great gun. I sent it back for poor feeding, shooting low and hammer follow. They barely made it feed, stopped the hammer follow with a much heavier pull weight and did nothing to improve low shooting.
It shot low all the time. Even though I didn’t with other guns. The slide stop detent sticks out of the plunger tube making setting the slide stop in place impossible without another tool. It was the plunger tube, so obviously that is a harder repair! The hammer hooks were cut so short(0.016”, I think) it had a so-so feeling trigger, but was barely engaging. This was after their experts fixed the trigger. I cannot remember the surface contact, but it was poor. So, like a dumb youth, I didn’t put this on them. I tried to customize it. I got it running really well….replaced EVERYTHING. They the last stock part, the ejector broke off leaving the pin glued in the frame. I gave up and put it in the safe about 10 years ago…:mad: I honestly don’t know what to do…..buy a frame!….pay somebody to get that fin out and properly fit an ejector and grip safety….ahh! I’m like $2000 into a $600 gun right now!

Glocks….g21/g23 They all run great. Grip(slick, block shaped) was terrible, lacked a manual safety, stock sights were crap. Price is kind of high for what you get. I guess it has to be to give so many away for pennies to create the brand image…well and pay the lawyers/judges to blame the users when ever an nd happens with a safetyless pistol…..crazy! 40 S&W case head bulges….for about half the price, Springfield XD and S&W M&P are sold every day and beat them handedly due to availability of manual safety and better mechanisms.

Last edited:
Keltec P3AT

Uncomfortable to shoot, lousy ergonomics and worse accuracy but it was small and lightweight.

Taurus 1911 .45 Sent back to factory once, took to gunsmith twice.

Ruger p89 9mm Let my son borrow it, he liked it so well I might not ever see it again. :)

Uncomfortable to shoot, lousy ergonomics and worse accuracy but it was small and lightweight.
After shooting a P32 I knew I didn't want anything like that in .380. The .32 is unpleasant enough I've no interest in similar packages with more recoil.

Mrs bought a 410 semiautomatic Hatfield shotgun at Walmart. If it shot twice in row you were lucky. I did everything I could to smooth it out & get it to cycle. It actually started working just before it puked out some broken parts. I’m holding on to it waiting for a gun buyback to be rid of it.

Back