What is the oldest cartridge handgun you own that you still fire?,,,

Howdy

All these revolvers are only fired with Black Powder cartridges.

S&W Schofield, 1st Model, 45 Schofield caliber, manufactured 1875.

schofieldandholster02_zps77dd6ba9.jpg

S&W 2nd Model Russian, 44 Russian caliber, manufactured 1875.

Russian02.jpg

S&W New Model Number Three, 44 Russian caliber, shipped 1882, refinished at the factory 1965.

NewModel302.jpg

Top: S&W Double Action 44, Target Model, 44 Russian caliber, shipped 1895
Bottom: S&W Double Action 44, 44 Russian caliber, shipped 1881.

Two44DAs02_zps927bf180.jpg

Merwin Hulbert Frontier Models, 44 Russian caliber, manufacture date unknown but before 1899.

merwinhulbertpair01_zps71f86cf6.jpg

Colt Single Action Army Bisley Model, 38-40 caliber, manufactured 1909, fired for the first time (by me) yesterday.

bisley04_zps9adefab5.jpg

Garycw,

You still shoot your 7mm pinfire?

Where do you get the ammunition?

Driftwood Johnson, all I can say about your post is.... Oh my.... Absolutely incredible!

Would you adopt me, change your will to make me your sole beneficiary, and then stand really close to the edge of that cliff? :p

H&R 922

an H&R 922, so old it has a flat mainspring, a one piece walnut stock (grip) and a brass front blade. what passes for serial/series number seems to predate any reference i can find. It's been in the family for at least 70 yrs.

Garycw,

You still shoot your 7mm pinfire?

Where do you get the ammunition?

p

I haven't shot it yet. The ammo I've found on GB is around $20 @ rnd. Yikes. I did find a reload kit that comes with everything for 5 Rnds except the powder & percussion cap for $38. I'd be happy to have just one to put in this box with it for now.
ubudenuz.jpg

Last edited:
That's why I was wondering, Gary. :)

The 7mm ammunition seems to be more expensive than either the 9 or 12 mm pinfire rounds; probably a case of it simply not being all that popular and not a lot of the ammo survived.

1925 H&R Special, seven shot break-top revolver with factory gold plated front sight.

1928 Colt Detective Special

Here is a video of me shooting a 9mm Delvigne Breechloading Pinfire Deringer from the 1850s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCsONeK-Eqg

Also, here is a much later model, Belgian 12mm pinfire that I bought specifically to shoot. I have that full reloading kit of what was talked about a couple posts back and have shot it a few times. (it's like $200 with shipping for the full kit)
Belgian-12mm-Pinfire-Revolver.jpg

Mike Irwin said:
The 7mm ammunition seems to be more expensive than either the 9 or 12 mm pinfire rounds; probably a case of it simply not being all that popular and not a lot of the ammo survived.

I have BY FAR more 7mm cartridges and boxes than any of the other sizes. 9mm comes in 2nd, then 12mm 5mm and 15mm

IMG_2169.JPG

Back