What is the oldest cartridge handgun you own that you still fire?,,,

My oldest gun that I still shoot is a Beretta Model 1934 in .380acp that was given to me by a very close friend. I am pretty sure it was made in 1944 or close to that year.

1911 that dates back to 1912. I don't shoot that one very much these days and only with powderpuff loads that barely cycle it.

The oldest gun I have is a Hopkins and Allen Police Safety in 38 short/38 Colt New Police. It was made in the early 1900's. I shoot 10 - 15 rounds yearly, I have a pretty good supply of factory ammo that I have collected over the tears, but none is available now.

I have fired 5 rounds thru my 1918 Colt U.S. Government M1918. It was only to make sure it worked. It is now in a display case with a Colt Letter framed and hanging on the wall above it.

I do regularly fire a nickel finish Pre-War Colt Official Police .38 Special from 1943. It was the 240th one produced by Colt that year. I just finished making a nice single gun rack for it to go on display. I should have the Colt Letter for it by about the end of this month. I am anxious to see the letter and find out where it was originally delivered. As the name indicates, it probably went to a police department. The nickel finish makes it a little more scarce, but I doubt it would be considered rare. :)

Last edited:
For a Broomhandle Mauser....C96. .(passed down from Dad)
7.63 x 25 □○□◇◇ 7.62 x25 will work......but judicious choice to not fire...... machine gun ammo.

A 1913 DWM P08 Luger. I've had it out many times over the last year since it's had its 100th birthday. Also lots of folks want to shoot a pistol that old. Anyway, it fires and cycles well and from a rest can group 2.5" at 25 yards. Not bad!

You guys have helped me out,,,

You guys have helped me out,,,
I have decided that I want a top-break of some ilk.

It's a type of handgun that I don't have,,,
Perhaps an older S&W chambered in 38 or 32 S&W.

Thanks guys.

Aarond

I had a Sharps Pepperbox that was made sometime in the 1870's
I would fire it on occasion. It wasn't very accurate, but was an attention getter.

Unfortunately, it was in my house when it burned down two years ago. I don't even have a picture of mine. They burned too. :(

A hammer less top break Iver Johnson 38 in stainless. It won't hit the broad side of a barn

Last edited:
1925 Colt police positive special .32-20. Barrel's a little too long for CC, but it's one of my two favorite field/ trail guns. The other's a Ruger single-six .32 H&R mag.

I have a 1903 Colt, dated 1919, that I still fire occasionally, and a DWM Luger from 1916 that I haven't fired as of yet, but will, eventually.

Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless .32ACP made in 1908, and a 1908 Vest Pocket .25 ACP made in 1915:

DWM Luger, made in 1920:

Empire State Arms Company .38 S&W. It's over 100 years old. I shoot it once in awhile, but not too often.

Back before I burned out on doing cowboy matches, I would occasionally break out this S&W 2nd Issue Model 1&1/2 .32RF tipup if a pocket pistol was called for. They were made from 1868 to 1875 but I don't know what year of the production run my example's serial number corresponds to.

This shows it opened and with the cylinder positioned like the "ejector rod" is punching out an empty:

Use this brass to make ammo for it:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=8154

Haven't shot it in probably more'n a decade, but I have in the past and could again today if the urge came upon me.

Interesting... I have a similar gun ( mine is shoot-able, but yet un-fired by me ) I have a collection of Navy Arms 32 Rimfire, just haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on mine... I should look into the 22 black / brass set up you linked... even if fired as blanks, just to say / show it works...

my understanding, is the cases are eccentric so the rims line up only a portion of the way around... did you have trouble loading a cylinder full, & having everything line up

Back