What is the oldest cartridge handgun you own that you still fire?,,,

my understanding, is the cases are eccentric so the rims line up only a portion of the way around... did you have trouble loading a cylinder full, & having everything line up

It's just a matter of putting 'em in the chambers with the rims oriented so that little bit of .22 rim that's on the edge lines up with where the hammer nose hits. Never (knock on wood) had one rotate out of alignment between chambering it and trying to fire it. Yet.

BTW, that's a neat old flap holster you've got next to that .32 S&W topbreak single action on page two of this thread.

1918_050612.jpg

This one. My 1918 Black Army. Here is last years memorial shooting of 50 shots at 15 yrds off hand. Lots of scatter at times but then the rest o the time it just banged them in there.

I am about to change all of the springs in it for this years outing.

Webley MK VI .455

One thing either good or bad about the Webley MK VI in .455 Webley is that many were converted to fire .45 ACP with moon clips. If they have been converted it brings the price down from its original configuration. Many have been converted from back in the day. If a top break revolver is one you wanted with available ammo, this is an option for you. As I said though, it will not quite be original. I'm not sure if someone can help me out here but I am not sure whether or not the original cartriges can still be fired through one.

One thing either good or bad about the Webley MK VI in .455 Webley is that many were converted to fire .45 ACP with moon clips. If they have been converted it brings the price down from its original configuration. Many have been converted from back in the day. If a top break revolver is one you wanted with available ammo, this is an option for you. As I said though, it will not quite be original. I'm not sure if someone can help me out here but I am not sure whether or not the original cartriges can still be fired through one.

No. Once a Webley has been shaved, there is way too much headspace for the thin rim on the 455 Webley case to work properly. If you have a shaved Webley, it has to be used with mild lead bullet 45 ACP handloads in clips or 45 AutoRim cases.

Do NOT fire full power 45 ACP ammo, especially jacketed ammo. The pressures involved are far too high for the Webley, which was originally designed for black powder.

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku....ALTERED-SHOOT-45-ACP-45-Auto-Rim#.U1E0MKLKijw

The oldest handgun I shoot is my Mk I birdshead Webley, with very mild lead bullet handloads.

i have two dating back to the early 1920's

a Harrington and Richardson 32 S&W 2nd model small frame hammerless bicycle gun and a Walther Model 9. Exact years of manufacture unknown for both.

well the harrington and richardson wont post because i have already posted it on this site before.

Attachments

• walther model 9 #2.jpg
    walther model 9 #2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 21
  • walther model 9 #1.jpg
    walther model 9 #1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 13
The oldest I still have is a S&W 1926 3rd model made in 1930.

The oldest I use the most is an H&R Sportsman made in 36.

WW1 Revolver

I have a Colt 45 ACP 1917 Army revolver which was arsenal reconditioned-I shoot standard 45 ACP 230gr FMJ in it.

I just bought my first 1911, and I have a CZ75 and a Couple 357 Mag revolvers (38 special). The 45acp, 9mm and 38 Special all came about around the same time right? The oldest rifle cartridge rifle I own is a Marlin 1895 (45-70).

I think I misunderstood the question. The OP meant oldest handgun not oldest cartridge right?

Libia

I didn't have any entries until this weekend, when I finally got to the range to fire my new old Libia .25 ACP. It is an inexact copy of the Colt 1908 Vest Pocket pistol, made by a Spanish firm between the end of WWI and the start of the Spanish Civil War in 1936, so it is somewhere around 80 years old, may a bit more. My wife and I found this example while cleaning out the home of a relative who passed away a little over a year ago.

attachment.php

The picture actually shows up larger than life size. The overall length is 4-1/4 inches.

Colt Model 1903 born in 1915 per the serial number.
Runner-up is a 1920 DWM Luger.
Both work just fine, and probably still will if/when I get as old as they are now!

Oldest handguns I shoot are a 1917 DWM Luger, a Colt New Service Target made in 1920, and a Webley Mk. VI made in 1926 (last year of manufacture).

I didn't have any entries until this weekend, when I finally got to the range to fire my new old Libia .25 ACP. It is an inexact copy of the Colt 1908

More accurately, it is a near copy of the 3rd variation FN/Browning Model 1906, which predates the Colt. The Colt, when introduced, used the same safety that was used on the second variation FN.

John Browning originally designed the little .25, which, by agreement, was to be sold in Europe and the rest of the world by FN, and in North America by Colt.

Whomever produced this gun took extra pains to use features as found on the FN guns rather than copy the typically simple "Ruby" type construction.

Attachments

• FN Browning model 1906.jpg
    FN Browning model 1906.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 26
The oldest handgun that I have fired is a 102 year old 1911 Navy Colt, the 3 rounds I shot out of it preformed like it was 1912. A bunch of people probably wince at the thought of it, but John Browning would smile knowing some of the earliest 1911's still go bang every now and then.

It doesn't get out much although it was shot for many years by family with no concept of it being so old or so rare, maybe one day I will have a kid and let them shoot a few rounds from it. Probably one of the rarest and oldest guns I will ever shoot. I might get it out in another 8 years to shoot a few rounds on it's 110th year of existence and again on it's 120th. Taking the chance of shooting a few rounds every decade is acceptable to me.

Here she is. Everything except the barrel was made in 1912. The barrel stamp indicates it is not original but still very old, made in 1916.
2whi9e8.jpg

First gen SAA in 32 WCF (1901), 1873 SRC 44-40 (1882). I shoot the 73 with six grains of Unique and the Colt 3.2 gr titegroup.

I don't have any OLD guns, but I do have and love to shoot the old .45 Colt cartridge in a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, so that would be mine.

Back