What is the oldest cartridge handgun you own that you still fire?,,,

Mine would be my Colt Army Special in 38 Spl. - 6" barrel - made in 1910. The old girl shoots great for being 104 years old.

Attachments

• pix2815795078.jpg
    pix2815795078.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 61
My fathers 1873 single action

1873 Single action. Its chambered in 44-40. My dad says he was told it was made in 1881. We dont shoot it alot, but it does get fired every 4th of July.

Aarond- both of my 1917's are chambered in .45ACP and both have stepped cylinder holes. It's my unnerstanding that the first S&W 1917's had smooth cylinder holes all the way through. Then somewhere along the line, someone opined that if a step was added for the ctg to headspace off of- GI's could drop the rounds in the holes and fire without the absolute need of moon clips.

S&W First Model 1899 Hand Ejector with 3 digit serial number. It doesn't get out often, but it does get a couple of cylinders of light loads run through it each year.

I have a Sistema Colt M1911 that dates to 1947 according to the serial number. Shoot about 200 rounds a year through it.

actually shoot... not that are in shootable condition...

probably these...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

old guns

Here are four Bulldogs. All are from before 1898....
top to bottom: .38 S&W, .32 S&W, .32 S&W, .38 S&W.

and this one in .44 Webley/.44 Bulldog:

Cartridges for the .44:

My Grandfather gave me his only handgun as a high school graduation present. A Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector Military and Police Model of 1905, 4th Change. This one was is nickel plated, six-inch barrel, .38 Special chambered and shipped by Smith & Wesson in 1921. This same gun evolved in to what we know today as the Model 10.

I can't say that I shoot it anymore, however I will let anyone in my family shoot it at request as a link to our family heritage. I found that shooting it... meant cleaning it and I'd been worried about the flaking nickel plating.

Because I really wanted to shoot it, I had put on my "short list" another one... didn't have to be nickel plated, but I wanted a six-inch in .38 Special, and something made with the old "long action" so that shooting it would be similar.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have found a great deal on one that's almost exactly the same, also nickel plated, but with a finish carrying far, far more wear. Functionally perfect, and this one was built in 1917.

I do take it with me on range trips, though I've only got 250 rounds through it thus far. When the weather gets warmer, I'll bring that round count ever higher. It shoots very well for being 97 years old.

32 auto and 38 special.
The one I shoot the most doesn’t have a case. I do shoot a lot of 44 cap and ball every year.
The oldest cartridge gun that I have but will never shoot is a 58 caliber 1856 Burnsides model 3.

Last edited:
My set of military, police, and civilian .38 S&Ws.

attachment.php

RAAF S&W .38. (came with trench art grips with New Guinea and Australian SILVER shillings in the grips!)

Colt Police Positive marked "Chase Manhattan Bank'.

And Civilian Webley pocket model.

Deaf

Attachments

• Old38s.jpg
    Old38s.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 1,730
There's one I will keep an eye out for,,,

There's one I will keep an eye out for,,,
I like the break-open action revolvers you've shown me,,,
And though a bit pricey at .60 cents/round, .38 S&W ammo is available.

So one thing I'll be keeping an eye out for,,,
Is a break-open revolver of some ilk,,,
I would want a pretty one though,,,
One that I could wear to a BBQ.

Why?

Just to have a nice one. :)

Aarond

Thats the route I went as well with the .32 S&W. What I was finding (over the whole internet, it was two places that had any in stock) was basically $1 a round, or $50 a box of 50 plus shipping.

I got Lee dies, 100 pieces of new brass and 100 LRN bullets from Midway, for $75.

Back